• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Has anyone actually ordered one of these impeller housings? Precision Marine

aflax24

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
My impeller housing is swelling...time to change, has anyone actually procured one of these?http://www.precisionmarinetools.com/shopping_cart.php are they any good? Whats the quality or should I just go SBT?
I have seen a few folks reference them in other posts but no one seems to answer...

How long is it really gonna take me to do a housing...
This is the pump that I usually have to drill/pry stuff on...

Bruce

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I talked to them in the spring but never got around to ordering. I plan to try them early next season.

At $85 per housing and $27 per replacement liner they are the least expensive option out there.

I theorize that some of us with impellers that do not have visible damage but lower than expected performance may have wear that has increased the diameter of the housing and decreased the diameter of the impeller. In that case simply replacing the housing while keeping the factory impellers may increase performance.

4x15mph

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I use a similar version of this with the replaceable liner. I did have an issue with scraping/melting one on a stick and I think the OEM stainless might have just resulted in the stick being cut or stuck. Either way, I just replaced the liner. So far so good

Big Shasta

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
I use a similar version of this with the replaceable liner. I did have an issue with scraping/melting one on a stick and I think the OEM stainless might have just resulted in the stick being cut or stuck. Either way, I just replaced the liner. So far so good
This would be my concern. I'd stick with the stainless. My 05 spent all its life in saltwater and even with 10 years and ~250 hours on it, They were in great shape. Maybe I just got lucky but if they last that long without swelling and needing replaced, it's a win! I bet in that amount of time a piece of debris would have damaged a plastic liner a few times.

I didn't measure the gap but the bite and top end were still great.

Murf'n'surf

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I agree with keeping stainless.... I flush and hose the heck out of the clean out tubes/tunnels and impeller housings and have no signs of corrosion or bulging.

aflax24

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
too late for me, I bought the boat and there was already some bulging...it seems to drag a bit on initial start.
Need to replace, think i am gonna give the cheaper option a go.

Cobra Jet Steering LLC

Jetboaters Admiral
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
I have used the plastic s b t liner sections with good results, however keep in mind that as you run the boat with a bad liner you wear down the impeller edges if you continue to use the pump with the corrosion building up behind the liner you will wear down the edges of the impeller to the point that at the very least it will need to be rebuilt, if not it will cavitate pretty badly

Cobra Jet Steering LLC

Jetboaters Admiral
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
the corrosion is caused by dissimilar metals. between the two metals a white aluminum oxide builds up and forces the liner to bulge. I have taken several apart just to see the amount of corrosion . personally I always swap over to the nylon liners since there is no corrosion build up because there is no galvanic corrosion taking place.

Bruce

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I certainly will not put new impellers back into the factory pump housings. I would like to give the plastic lined version a shot. With the low cost of liners I would not mind changing them every year.

Cobra Jet Steering LLC

Jetboaters Admiral
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
I put 150 hours on one in my ski with the supercharged / intercooled 1800 engine with no issues

swatski

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I've just replaced mine OEM with the plastic one (bought through Impros) and noticed a SIGNIFICANT reduction in noise, very happy with it, but its only been ~20hrs.

Gym

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
What's involved in the replacement process? Has anybody documented the process yet?

swatski

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length

Gym

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length

Cobra Jet Steering LLC

Jetboaters Admiral
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
Over time when anyone with a pump that uses a stainless liner, not just Yamaha but any make, especially in salt water use, it is very common for the liners to swell from dissimilar metal corrosion.
If the boat is used regularly you hear a ringing when the motor is run out of the water as on a trailer or lift. This wears the edges of the impeller slightly each time the boat is started, thus the noise on first start, or the drag on the starter on first start.
Running it then wears everything down both the liner and impeller.
However if you let the boat sit for an extended period of time and the liner swells a lot during that time, you may experience hard or slow starts even a lock up in the pump.
All this takes it's toll on the starter, driveshaft splines and impeller edges.
Placing a new impeller in a swelled up pump would be a fools errand.
Also replacing the pump liner but not the worn impeller would also prove to have undesirable results in the form of cavitation.
Just rinsing the pump usually won't stop the process, adding ZINC to the pump area will help reduce the effect.
The large block on the side of the pump from the factory is magnesium and not zinc so adding a second block to the right side of the pump can be a good idea, the shape has no bearing on it's effectiveness, I place round zinc discs on the ride plate of my skies and on the pump itself using a small bracket to attach the anode to the pump bolt.
Running a heavy wire from the engine block to a main bolt that goes through the hull used to attach the pump housing gives extra corrosion protection to the engine also.

aflax24

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I ended up buying the precision marine housing for $100 shipped and it worked perfect, fit was great, fixed my rubbing issue and I just bought another for the other side. Highly recommend. Also to pry off the ring, I used a long 2x4 jammed in on the side of the pump and moved it around prying a little each time and eventually it popped right off. Just took a little leverage. Its an old jet ski trick I used to use.

Marvin willis

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Do you have to send in your pump first? I think I'm about to order one too

aflax24

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
No you do not. I actually just ordered my second one. Worked great for me. I boat in Tampa Bay and am about to move up to Macon GA...
BUT I think it is a good product for the money, pretty sure they send the inserts if you do for some reason end up breaking one.

Bruce

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
No you do not. I actually just ordered my second one. Worked great for me. I boat in Tampa Bay and am about to move up to Macon GA...
BUT I think it is a good product for the money, pretty sure they send the inserts if you do for some reason end up breaking one.
Glad to hear it is working well!

Did you notice any performance improvement?

aflax24

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Engine ran a lot smoother, and quieter...started easier as well. Mine wasn't all that bad when I replaced. Just swelling a bit.