• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Transom Plate threads

jdonalds

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Is it true the Transom Plate is threaded? If so I either have a stripped bolt or I need to buy a new transom plate (6S8-G5831-00-94).

Today I sucked up a ski rope, only the third or fourth time in 7 years. It was so badly wound around that I decided to pull the pump. When I reinstalled the pump the upper left bolt wouldn't tighten.

McMark

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Can you get a helicoil in there?

itsdgm

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
That's a bummer. How do the threads on the bolt look? It's possible that the bolt stripped not the plate. A second thought would be that it's possible that a bolt, say 5mm longer might get to "fresh threads" in the plate if the plate threads were stripped out. Anyway, hope you figure it out soon so you can get back on the water @jdonalds

jdonalds

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Dennis, I'll have to pull the bolt and hope it is stripped rather than the plate. But I'm taking the boat out today. I figure there are still four bolts and all of the tension on the pump is actually such that the bolts shouldn't be heavily loaded.

Good suggestion on a longer bolt. I'll keep that in mind.

I was quite surprised that the bolt kept turning after it was fully seated. I was only using a 3/8" socket set so no breaker bar. I doubt if I stripped it with the medium force I was able to supply yesterday.

The boat is now 10 years old, and I've had it for 7 years. All I've ever had to do is change the oil, filters, and spark plugs. The port engine has always had a vibration and never behaved as well as the starboard engine. So I think I'm going to turn the boat over to the local Yamaha dealer to have them check the engines and do anything that needs to be done to keep them in top top shape. At the same time I'll pull the pumps and have the impellers serviced. I'll see if the pumps need grease and if any water has gotten in.

So one last day, then things will be down for the winter.

Thanks for your response.

jdonalds

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I swapped bolts from the right to left side and both cinched up tightly. I suspect if I buy new bolts I'll be okay. The bolt that acted stripped looked okay, but the threads weren't too deep. It was like it was worn down rather than stripped.

itsdgm

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Whew, That's good news for sure.

swatski

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
@jdonalds I like @itsdgm idea of using a slightly longer (and fresh) bolt. Looking for an odd bolt earlier this year I discovered this company/bolt warehouse Fastenal, seem to have branches everywhere.

--

jdonalds

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
@jdonalds I like @itsdgm idea of using a slightly longer (and fresh) bolt. Looking for an odd bolt earlier this year I discovered this company/bolt warehouse Fastenal, seem to have branches everywhere.

--
Not knowing what is on the other side of the transom plate I was concerned about using a longer bolt. It could penetrate the other side of the transom plate and crack fiberglass. So I ordered 8 new standard bolts from the Watercraft Superstore. The only way I would use a longer bolt is if I removed the transom plate to examine it and I'm not interested in doing that. If I have continuing problems I'll have to try that though.

swatski

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Not knowing what is on the other side of the transom plate I was concerned about using a longer bolt. It could penetrate the other side of the transom plate and crack fiberglass. So I ordered 8 new standard bolts from the Watercraft Superstore. The only way I would use a longer bolt is if I removed the transom plate to examine it and I'm not interested in doing that. If I have continuing problems I'll have to try that though.
I hear you, and agree one wouldn't want to go more than a fraction of an inch longer. I considered doing the transom re-seal at some point in the past, apparently those often are missing sealant, as in this thread by Green Hulk himself.
http://www.greenhulk.net/forums/showthread.php?t=117375&highlight=transom+plate

Cobra Jet Steering LLC

Jetboaters Admiral
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
I believe you could use a screwdriver or similar item to probe it and see just how deep the bolt hole goes , then compare it to the total draw of the bolt through the pump I bet you can add a cm or more to the length with no issues.

jdonalds

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I believe you could use a screwdriver or similar item to probe it and see just how deep the bolt hole goes , then compare it to the total draw of the bolt through the pump I bet you can add a cm or more to the length with no issues.
That's smart thinking.

At this point I'm planning on pulling the pumps for a winter maintenance step. It's now 10 years old with close to zero service for all of those years. I'm planning on pulling the transom plates to ensure they are sealed properly. I've read where there is missing sealant on those plates in some cases. I have been experiencing a lot of cavitation this summer.