• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Traveling with OEM boat cover. Damage ?

Ricks

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
I like the blue painters tape idea, seems like a very easy and cheap insurance!
[/QUOT
I just completed a 1400 mile tow with the premium mooring cover. I used the inflated tube on top of the sun pads, with the anti pooling strap in place, but the poles removed. This setup worked well, did not get the typical deflection in the cover.

Side straps were extremely tight, and I still got some gel coat chafing on the back 1/4 of the sides of the boat on the way down. I had some blue painters tape in my kit, and covered these areas under the cover for the return trip with no issues. I’d recommend doing this if you’re going on a long haul. I’d cover essentially from the pissers to the transom 2” above and below the cover.
I have 4 rolls left over from painting bathroom , sounds like a great idea.

HangOutdoors

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I have no issues with mooring cover. The Pool noodles were genius and I did that after someone recommended them to me. ALSO I use the mooring cover straps without poles and that really snugs the cover top against the wind.

Finally if I am going long distance or through heavy rain. I put a big inflatable ball up front under the working cover which gives it a nice round shape and less stress.

I ratchet down pretty tight and have absolutely no marring since I go over every inch of the boat when pulling the cover off, outside.

All these ideas I found in another thread are worked fantastic.

HangOutdoors

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
For security I use the following

2 Round Padlocks where the you take the pin out of the foldable tongue.
A hardened lock on chain around the tongue.
A bike lock and wire around the spare tire to the frame.
A Security Wheel chock.
I also keep extra keel plugs in boat just in case someone wants to be funny and take mine out the keel.
I also have a GPS tracker in the boat when I have to leave it any long period time which would show me if it moved and track it.

HangOutdoors

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
As a side note. I goth the following kit which is solid and they are weighted. Don't want some yahoo running into the back of the boat on the trailer if I break down or need to pull over to the side of a road.

mark_m

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Thank you for the reminder, I didn’t even think about lug wrench and jack for trailer. I have the spare tire chain locked But I need a locking pin for swing away tongue.
Take a handheld temperature thing - like you use to measure the temperature of oil when you fry a turkey... Use it to test your hub temperature as you travel when you gas up. Since your trailer is new, you are probably good on bearing grease... but maybe throw in a grease gun. Take a 4x4 piece of wood too.

Ricks

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
As a side note. I goth the following kit which is solid and they are weighted. Don't want some yahoo running into the back of the boat on the trailer if I break down or need to pull over to the side of a road.

Thanks for the information . These are the things I need to know for long hauls on Vacation . I still have my 1989 ranger bass boat and pulled it for years to lakes within hours of home. Never needed much to haul it around but things have changed and crooks will steal anything they can now. Years ago people would stop and help stranded motorists but that’s not safe anymore.

HangOutdoors

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
@Ricks I figure I never know what will happen and what I need. Would rather be prepared. I live in Michigan and I only have 4 or so months of boating per year. If someone steals the boat or it is damaged, my insurance will cover it, but the fun will be over till I can get another boat and everything ordered and installed again. Also with the lack of boats around it could take a while. The family would be sad. So I do everything I can to be safe and secure with it the best I can.

gthh

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Interstate speeds are rough on covers over the long hall. In my opinion, it will shorten the life of the cover. I used to use shipping covers (they are great) but as your boat gets older these are hard to find. I would not risk an $800 cover and not having one for the mooring and on your trip back.

I throw my seats and carpet in the back of my truck and stow everything else in the head and helm storage. I leave heavy items like batteries propane tanks filled coolers in the boat.

Wake tower Mirrors come off and I open and snap and tape the windshield