• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Trim Tabs - options - wake surfing (and cruising)

jacoviii

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
255XD
Boat Length
So I seen on the other post someone said to mount the tab 3/8" up fro the bottom of the hull and the instructions say 1/4". So what is right measurement?

Stevenpigsooie

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
My instructions said 1/4 for mounting. But the leading edge is higher. Maybe that was the difference.

Bogus

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Really don’t think you can go wrong with the Lectrotabs, w/short actuators. Being in salt, their patented conduits for equalizing the pressure inside actuators (so those don’t vacuumize and suck water when deployed) is a no brainer.
Those are fully compatible with the wake Wedge, too.

I read 14 pages of Trim Tabs - options - wake surfing (and cruising) thread. But didnt find your opinion on wakesurfing with tabs. Only informafion that they help plane better with huge ballast. Does it help making longer surfable wave? Since installation was 3 years ago whats you up to date advice on tabs geometry fo better surfing?

Scottintexas

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Swatski hasn't been around for awhile,

I doubt you'll get a response,

jacoviii

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
255XD
Boat Length
So I did a lot of testing at the end of the season. So if the boat is heavily ballasted evenly, you can add list to the surf side with trim tab but then you have to counter steer and the jet stream blows though the wake at times. If you heavily list the boat to the surf side the boat will track to that side. You can add a little bit of trim to the other side and track straight but this is a fine line.
Talking with Dan he is will to help make a surf tab. Surf tabs help direct water away from the surf side but with less lift of the rear of the boat.

JBehrens

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
For my boat, the tabs are used to get on plane faster (sometimes the boat won't get on plane without them). Then once 10.5mph is established, I retract the tabs and we are away. Played around with shaping but running no tabs once the surfer is up has been the best so far.

Bogus

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
So I did a lot of testing at the end of the season. So if the boat is heavily ballasted evenly, you can add list to the surf side with trim tab but then you have to counter steer and the jet stream blows though the wake at times. If you heavily list the boat to the surf side the boat will track to that side. You can add a little bit of trim to the other side and track straight but this is a fine line.
Talking with Dan he is will to help make a surf tab. Surf tabs help direct water away from the surf side but with less lift of the rear of the boat.
Who is Dan?

jacoviii

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
255XD
Boat Length
Our contact at lectrotabs.com. I will be working more with him on surf tabs next season. And will be working on duel purpose tabs.

Quad

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Our contact at lectrotabs.com. I will be working more with him on surf tabs next season. And will be working on duel purpose tabs.
Any traction on this? I'm hoping to get tabs on the boat this year (crud, was literally about to pick up the phone and call today but wanted to make sure I was totally clear on what I was getting in the kit), now I'm wondering if I should hold off.

jcyamaharider

Event Sponsor
Event Sponsor
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
In my experience tabs are only going to hurt the surf wake on a Yamaha. There are too many other factors at play that you are trying to over come. We have tested on several boats and the results were the same, I couldn't figure out why the wave was crappy until I realized they had their tabs activated. And yes we tried to miniplate them to our advantage and that didn't work either.

jacoviii

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
255XD
Boat Length
@jcyamaharider is right. I will still be trying some ideas with modified tabs but I would not hold off on getting tabs for normal tab benefits. If I find a modification that works it would be icing on the cake.

dapowerelectric

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
255XD
Boat Length
Anyone here have done if heard of someone adding trim tabs to a 255xd with surf tabs?

Cambo

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
In my experience tabs are only going to hurt the surf wake on a Yamaha. There are too many other factors at play that you are trying to over come. We have tested on several boats and the results were the same, I couldn't figure out why the wave was crappy until I realized they had their tabs activated. And yes we tried to miniplate them to our advantage and that didn't work either.
I agree the trim tabs disrupt the wave shape do they completely wreck it and make it un surfable no. Anyone that surfs knows the angle of the boat the bow is up very high and even with the tabs in the highest position they are forcing the bow down. Bow up and listing produce the best wake the tabs even seem to disrupt wake boarding. What would help is some way to pull a pin to allow the tab to go up as high as possible another mounting plate would be needed to re insert the pin to keep it in place