• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Trim Tabs

Thank you, swatski. I did not know that about Nauticus Smart Tabs. For that reason theirs is the better choice. By that I mean, I want the improved hole shot but need some help in rougher water but not a ton. Tampabay can get nasty out there...
View attachment 43052

Now, back to hunting for the best price.
Well then - keep us posted, please!

--

There are several sites and the prices are pretty much the same, depending on your boat. One caution....I talked to the guys at Nauticus. You have to make sure you have room to attach the top of the struts and the tab on the same vertical plane for the struts to work properly. Depending on the particulara model, you need about 8-9 inches. In other words, you cant attach the tabs to your transom (vertical plane) and the struts to the bottom of your swim deck (horizontal plane). You can move them closer to the center, to a point, but the closer to the outter portion the better they work.

Attachments

BTW.....I am back and forth on these....I think the Nauticus are a better choice because of the gas struts rather than springs, but am still non-committal and doing this. If anybody does it...would love to learn the results! One big advantage to Nauticus is they will take them back with full refund if you dont like them...but then you have to repair the 16 screw holes you drilled in your fiberglass :(

@captras do you have room to mount the shock to the transom above the tab? I do not.

I have not had a chance to get to my boat to measure....been in the shop for CONNEXT DRIVE MODE issues. Get it back on Friday. Going to measure then! If not....then my decision is made :)

There are several sites and the prices are pretty much the same, depending on your boat. One caution....I talked to the guys at Nauticus. You have to make sure you have room to attach the top of the struts and the tab on the same vertical plane for the struts to work properly. Depending on the particulara model, you need about 8-9 inches. In other words, you cant attach the tabs to your transom (vertical plane) and the struts to the bottom of your swim deck (horizontal plane). You can move them closer to the center, to a point, but the closer to the outter portion the better they work.

@captras, thank you for that! I will check when I get home tonight. Chances are I don't... upload_2016-8-1_14-31-46.png

@captras , you mean you are not going to spend money on mods that you don't need? That's blasphemy and goes again the very definition of b.o.a.t. (Break out another thousand)!

Seriously though drilling up to 30 holes below the water line of your boat is stressful, especially for a mod that may provide you with little or noticeable benefit and more work while you are boating.

When i was in the market for trim tabs I only had two choices that I can recall, lenco electrics and bennet hydraulics. The latter were supposed to be faster and the former simpler, I went with the lencos because they made a set specifically for seadoo jet boats and I did t want to have to deal with hydraulic oil, bleeding the system, etc. if I could do it again I would not do it at all unless the system automatically trimmed the boat for me. I just didnt get the bang I thought i would for my $700+ along with the stress and time involved in installing it all.

Gas powered is totally new to me sounds a lot cheaper than the previous alternatives. In my boating experience cheaper does not equate to better where mods are concerned.

Gas powered is totally new to me sounds a lot cheaper than the previous alternatives. In my boating experience cheaper does not equate to better where mods are concerned.

@Ronnie, these "smart tabs" are only adjustable with a wrench. They move up and down on their own based on the resistance of the water against the tab. The adjustment is similar to adjustable struts on a car.

@Ronnie, these "smart tabs" are only adjustable with a wrench. They move up and down on their own based on the resistance of the water against the tab. The adjustment is similar to adjustable struts on a car.
Exactly. Some of the adjustments are easy - "hole" selection on the tab will determine the force of the tab's push. However, those tabs also come in different sizes and with at least two different actuators/shocks - so which one to chose for a YJB?

I predict those Nauticus smart tabs will work amazingly well with YJB though.

I will have to wait for someone to test it out, as my new boat is not even broken in, yet... But I can tell I would like it to plane at lower speeds.

--

When i was in the market for trim tabs I only had two choices that I can recall, lenco electrics and bennet hydraulics. The latter were supposed to be faster and the former simpler, I went with the lencos because they made a set specifically for seadoo jet boats and I did t want to have to deal with hydraulic oil, bleeding the system, etc. if I could do it again I would not do it at all unless the system automatically trimmed the boat for me. I just didnt get the bang I thought i would for my $700+ along with the stress and time involved in installing it all.

So... you would or would not recommend Lencos?

--

I got looking real close at my hull. The 2015 plus 24 footers have a contour back there. I really want to try an interceptor type tab but would have to have a plate milled out of aluminum Matching that contour to make that viable. Also the exhaust may pose an issue with anything needing to go inside the hull right there so the air actuated ones would likley have to be used instead of the servo type. Aside from those two things does anyone have thoughts on interceptor vs. standard type tabs?

If the emd user wants an automatic set it once and forget it system I would not recommend the lenco system I had. It worked well to balance the boat while under way and to get it on plane faster than a stock boat without trim tabs but it didn't have a function/button which would have allowed me to fully retract the trim tabs quickly once the boat was on plane. So anytime I saved by having the tabs deployed at idle to wot i felt I gave back while retracting the tabs manually/via the controller buttons while the boat was getting up to speed out of the hole. Could I have added a button to accomplish this? Maybe but after dropping the money, time and effort I just gave up on improving the hole shot, left the system as is and only used it to balance the boat while underway.

Unless you have to have trim tabs I think the easier and much less expensive way to Balance the boat is to move gear and / or people around. The cure for dealing with choppy water is even easier, throttle back and go slower.

I predict those Nauticus smart tabs will work amazingly well with YJB though.

I can tell I would like it to plane at lower speeds.

I understand how it will help you plane at lower speeds but would you not enjoy being able to give your family a smoother ride to Bimini next year or on busy or windy days on the lake / river? For example when our group was coming into Port Everglades on the return crossing I stopped to talk to a boater then decided to catch up with the group as we were entering the port. In my boat with a little trim 25 MPH was comfortable but when I sped up to 30+ we experienced a few painful waves before I increased to 75% trim. With the additional trim the waves were no longer painful. Times like that is when I really appreciate having trim tabs.

I've enjoyed reading this post.

I was one of the first, if not THE first to install the Bennett "Sport" tabs on the Yamaha AR230 back after the model was first introduced. The folks at Bennett were great to work with and I got a break on the price for giving a review on their site.
I did a review after the install and the improvement over stock was great.

No longer did I have to physically move bodies to get a level ride. With the press of a button I had complete control over the trim on the boat. I got all the bells and whistles, auto retract, etc.

I'm not up to speed on all the newer, "auto" trim tabs. I don't need to be. What I chose works for me. I'm a happy camper.

I polished the tabs before installing them and they still look great! I'm glad I got 'em when I did. Good luck to all of you considering this mod. :cool:

I understand how it will help you plane at lower speeds but would you not enjoy being able to give your family a smoother ride to Bimini next year or on busy or windy days on the lake / river? For example when our group was coming into Port Everglades on the return crossing I stopped to talk to a boater then decided to catch up with the group as we were entering the port. In my boat with a little trim 25 MPH was comfortable but when I sped up to 30+ we experienced a few painful waves before I increased to 75% trim. With the additional trim the waves were no longer painful. Times like that is when I really appreciate having trim tabs.
@Bruce Yes - that was epic!

--

@Glassman do you have a link to your review and pictures? Just curious on your in depth thoughts as well. Hopefully in a few months I'll give mine as well.

@Glassman do you have a link to your review and pictures? Just curious on your in depth thoughts as well. Hopefully in a few months I'll give mine as well.

I just went and took a look at the site.....it has changed considerably since I made my purchase. I can't seem to find any reviews or testimonials. Too bad, that was one of the better features.

I found the tabs under Classic Hydraulic Trim Tab Systems....rememeber, I did the install over 10 years ago. Nice to know I still have their Lifetime Warranty :thumbsup:

Well, I checked...hardly any straight wall at all unless you move to the middle. I contacted Nauticus to find other alternatives. We'll see what they say.

May have to go with a standard hydraulic trim tab. So pricey!!! Ouch...

Back