• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Trolling Motor Owner Questions - Specific Post

Frank Marshall

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
What thrust do you recommend? more that 70 lbs thrust for the 210 is good for up to 15mph winds
I have a Minnkota 112 lbs, 60- in and can barely get 3mph. I'm interested in how you're getting 15mph? I'm wondering if I have an issue, or is it just current and wind getting you to 15mph.

madtom

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
I have a Minnkota 112 lbs, 60- in and can barely get 3mph. I'm interested in how you're getting 15mph? I'm wondering if I have an issue, or is it just current and wind getting you to 15mph.
the trolling motor is able anchor lock and to hold in wind speeds of up to 15..... the boat tops out with the trolling motor at 2.... something mph. With a tail wind YMMV lol

Last edited:

madtom

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
Have you tested the Trollbridge device? How well does it work?

I was thinking about installing one of those for my 36V system but my research and Yamaha showed / stated there was not enough charging power from the engines to do much charging of the trolling motor batteries.

I had thought about setting up the Trollbridge unit off of the house battery to allow the start battery and the house battery to charge up first then start charging the trolling motor batteries.
It does charge with the lead acid batteries..... wired up just like the diagram i posted. No issues yet. trollbridge 12x24 install  Yamaha FSH210.png

not sure of what amperage is but is probably under 10 for both batteries.... I will check voltage when i put the boat in the water for spring. Rebuilding the jet pumps right now. If I ever upgrade to Lithium's not sure if it would be able to squeeze out a charge. For Lead acid it makes sense as it keeps the % charged higher thru out the day so I don't burn out the batteries.

I only have a 24V 70lb trolling motor, so it swaps over to charging after about 10 minutes or so. The Light on the trollbridge turns amber and I can watch the voltage for the trolling batteries climb.

Eventually I will get something bigger(it is barely adequate and the wind pushes me around sometimes, but this one was given to me) and it's great for fishing the creeks and bays off the river. A lot of those places get extremely weedy on the summer and are no fun to clean out the ports if you get caught on the wrong tide lol.

Not sure if there is enough amps for a 36v setup like you said..... I wish someone would create a 100 amp alternator for Yamaha's jet boats off the front of the boat engine or add a pully/belt and use the PTO coming out the back..... I'm not that level of creative engineer but I could see how it could be done. You would think Yamaha would see this as a issue with all of the electronics we keep adding to the boats. The Outboard/Inboard crowd has real alternators..... you would think they would figure something out.

pkwil22

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Deluxe
Boat Length
Where is everyone installing the additional batteries for your trolling motor and possible on-board charger?
I intend on trying to get my trolling motor installed this weekend if all of the parts arrive on time...

HangOutdoors

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I have a 24v Minn Kota 80#, 60" Terrova and have hit 3.5 mph in a calm/light chop on more than one occasion. I can't get anything more than that.

madtom

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
Where is everyone installing the additional batteries for your trolling motor and possible on-board charger?
I intend on trying to get my trolling motor installed this weekend if all of the parts arrive on time...
Most folks have installed in front of the console where there is a shelf going forward under the deck that is large enough for the batteries. Here is a photo of where I was installing mine. If you search thru the forums there is a wide selection of how folks have mounted them. my NOCO is mounted to the side of the compartment.

242756327_381858476943665_1859558309539590792_n.jpg

242744835_393344448833469_7565908895688347232_n.jpg

Last edited:

Floridaman79

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Deluxe
Boat Length
I went with a 36v motorguide and have about 6 months of use with it so far.

i did not go with the factory mount. I made a custom mount out of 1/2 inch 5052 aluminum. I also mounted on the starboard side which is different from most installs I see.

i do fish in coastal waters and went with a 60 inch shaft. It does cavitate some in rough weather. I also fish in shallow inshore waters and run the trolling motor up about a foot. The 36v holds in ripping currents, not sure how a 24v would have held up but I can say I'm glad I went with the 36v. It doesn't feel like overkill even when I'm just running it wide open to get to a different spot.

I went with three 12v volt 60ah dakota lithium batteries mounted in the forward section of the console. I went with it mainly because of weight and size.

I dont use an on board charger. I have a connector wired up to the bank and just plug in the dakota lithium 36v charger.

I don't have it connected to any electronics.
20220410_135559.jpg20220410_135801.jpg20220410_135630.jpg

HangOutdoors

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I went with a 36v motorguide and have about 6 months of use with it so far.

i did not go with the factory mount. I made a custom mount out of 1/2 inch 5052 aluminum. I also mounted on the starboard side which is different from most installs I see.

i do fish in coastal waters and went with a 60 inch shaft. It does cavitate some in rough weather. I also fish in shallow inshore waters and run the trolling motor up about a foot. The 36v holds in ripping currents, not sure how a 24v would have held up but I can say I'm glad I went with the 36v. It doesn't feel like overkill even when I'm just running it wide open to get to a different spot.

I went with three 12v volt 60ah dakota lithium batteries mounted in the forward section of the console. I went with it mainly because of weight and size.

I dont use an on board charger. I have a connector wired up to the bank and just plug in the dakota lithium 36v charger.

I don't have it connected to any electronics.
View attachment 175336View attachment 175337View attachment 175338
That is a good looking install.

BinbrookJake

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH
Boat Length

How long does 60Ah last you?

JakeTJCJ

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
Madtom,

Any update on how the Trollbridge is doing? I am curious to this as I don't have access to shore power. I thought about going this route, but I am not sure how long I would have to cruise to charge my batteries. I thought about supplementing the Trollbridge with a jackery to bump up the charge on my system if I don't allow them to top off all the way. Planning on using two 12V 27 group 92AH AGM batteries for a 80 lb/ 60" terrova.

madtom

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
Madtom,

Any update on how the Trollbridge is doing? I am curious to this as I don't have access to shore power. I thought about going this route, but I am not sure how long I would have to cruise to charge my batteries. I thought about supplementing the Trollbridge with a jackery to bump up the charge on my system if I don't allow them to top off all the way. Planning on using two 12V 27 group 92AH AGM batteries for a 80 lb/ 60" terrova.
Jake,

With the 27 Gp AGMs I currently have it swaps over to charging after about 5 minutes or so. The Light on the Trollbridge turns amber and I can watch the voltage for the trolling batteries climb. It definitely keeps the trolling batteries going thru the day, bumping their voltage back up while traveling between fishing holes. I just checked again Sunday and when i pull into the fishing hole... trolling battery voltage is above 13.1 so i know it is bumping my capacity back up while traveling.

Last edited:

randocommando

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH
Boat Length
That's where I mounted my heading sensor, and the Garmin steadycast sensor. Both work fine!