• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

trolling motor storage

Dshriber

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
I am taking the boat to Florida for the winter and the house has a boat lift but no room for a dock box and not much room for storage. When i use the boat cover i remove the trolling motor. Is there any reason i could not just keep the trolling motor on the floor of the boat? I have sea dek but i want to make sure it wouldn't damage anything. any suggestions?

thanks!

Doug

bolivas

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
I am taking the boat to Florida for the winter and the house has a boat lift but no room for a dock box and not much room for storage. When i use the boat cover i remove the trolling motor. Is there any reason i could not just keep the trolling motor on the floor of the boat? I have sea dek but i want to make sure it wouldn't damage anything. any suggestions?

thanks!

Doug
You might consider putting in the center console if it will fit. Then you can lock the hatch. The center ski locker might be another option if it fits..... Just another layer of protection should the cover get removed by weather or snoopy people......

Dshriber

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
good idea. thank you

Dixemon

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
I like bolivas answer, but if you had to I don't think there is any harm with laying it on the floor. You could bike cable it through a cleat.

Botchco

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH
Boat Length
I like bolivas answer, but if you had to I don't think there is any harm with laying it on the floor. You could bike cable it through a cleat.
I use a cable with loops on ends run trhough T-Top framing and connected to padlock on quick release system.

washipdog

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
I keep mine on the floor of my boat when it's in storage. I have even transported the boat a few miles to my house with the motor in the floor. I keep a towel under it, but you have Seadek so even better.

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
When my boat is covered, it is on the floor in the bow. The cover won’t blow off when secured correctly.

JASmith

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
I keep mine on the floor of my boat when it's in storage. I have even transported the boat a few miles to my house with the motor in the floor. I keep a towel under it, but you have Seadek so even better.
Does it stay put reasonable well when trailering? I'm considering doing this with my trolling motor so I can trailer with the cover on, but i'd hate to bang around a 3k$ trolling motor also. I'm contemplating better ways to secure it on the road but haven't come up with anything good yet.

CDubya

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
Does it stay put reasonable well when trailering? I'm considering doing this with my trolling motor so I can trailer with the cover on, but i'd hate to bang around a 3k$ trolling motor also. I'm contemplating better ways to secure it on the road but haven't come up with anything good yet.
I store my 36 volt minkota ulterra with a 72” shaft on the floor next to the helm. I set the base on a doubled up towel then I wrap a little towel around the shaft where it meets with the tower. I use a double sided Velcro strap to secure the shaft, with the towel around it, to the front tower post. I haven’t had it move or damage anything and I’ve taken it on several 2-4 hour trips. For extra security you can take another doubled up towel and lay it over the top of the base, motor and prop. Then even if it did slide, it won’t touch your interior.

washipdog

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
I've only gone a few miles with it in the floor. During those trips it never moves. It looks like @CDubya has what you are looking for. I might try his way as well.