• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Truck shopping...

waternutt

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Chaparral
Year
Boat Model
VR
Boat Length
Not that I need one, but I have started to look around at what I would want in my next truck. For reference, my current truck is a 2012 Ram 1500 with 5.7L HEMI, and I have had no big issues with the truck. If figured I would ask the forum since it is a good sampling of drivers of all brands.

Questions I have right now...

1. Do I really need a 3/4 ton truck? Everyone around me seems to drive one and I would love to have one, but it seems like overkill to me. My 24' Chap is the biggest thing I tow. Now if I get a travel trailer or fifth wheel in the future...different story.

2. Are the new diesel 1/2 ton trucks worth the upgrade? I would like the extra torque and better mileage, but are the new engines reliable?

3. More Ram specific, but what about air suspension? Anyone have it? Like it? Can you put a level/lift on it?

anmut

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212S
Boat Length
I have a 2019 Ram Limited with air suspension. I wouldn't buy another truck without that feature. Auto levels when towing and I can drop it for loading if I need to - really slick. Not sure how heavy that 24' Chap is but our 21' Yamaha is around 4500 wet and I don't have any issues in town or on the freeway with towing it with a half ton.

2kwik4u

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I can't comment on #2, or #3, however here's where I'm at on #1.

A word up front. I think we can all agree that we don't NEED a truck. We just WANT trucks to support our hobbies and interests. I'm going to be using NEED in this response in place of WANT, because, well......we all get it.

#1......Once upon a time I had a 4dr S10. It was a great truck and towed a small trailer from time to time. Even towed my other autocross setup S10 a few times with good results. Then we bought a boat. That first season with the boat, the S10 did fine. It was a good little truck. I wanted a bit more interior space, so I moved up to a GMC Yukon. Total cost of ownership went up by MAYBE $20/mo. Fuel mileage, maintenance, insurance, and payment all barely moved the needle on the change. However, the capability.....HOLY COW it was like I suddenly went from "just barely getting it done" to "doing it with ease". I've since been through a myriad of life changes, and have landed back at a 1500 class pickup. It does the same job as that old Yukon (it was an '03 model, hard to think it's 17yrs old now!) did, but with even greater ease. It just handles everything so well........However, I'm starting to look at campers, either slide in or 5th wheel sized (we can't decide), and it sure would be nice to have a 2500 or 3500 class pickup at this point. My initial estimates are that the total cost of ownership compared to my 1500 class pickup won't be that much greater. Boy the capability sure will grow though.......So for that, my next pickup will most likely be a 3500 single rear wheel. Get as much capability as I can for my money.......my suggestion is to look as far in the future as you can. If you're even remotely considering a camper, or larger towing needs, get a larger truck. It'll save hassle down the line when you impulse buy a 40ft camper :D

As for #2.....While I have no direct experience. When looking at the GMC lineup right now in the 1500 class, there is a V6, an I6, and (2) V8's. The V6 is too small for anything I would want. Either V8 will fit the bill, and the I6 diesel looks interesting. For me, I would probably go with the larger 6.2L V8. It's just a simpler design overall. No turbos, no DEF to worry about. The overall simplicity of the engine package is a strength that I like. It makes good power and torque, is a pretty simple design, and has some proven reliability to it. In a 2500/3500 class I would take the hit on complexity for the increase in torque to run the diesel.

To #3......I had a TBSS with air springs in the rear. I liked that it auto leveled (especially since I was significantly lowered) with a load. I never did like the spring rates though. I always wanted something either softer or stiffer. It never seemed to be the correct rate for the thing I was trying to do. Might be a design issue more so than a component issue. Hard to say really. I do know I miss having an air compressor on board with me. That was a damn handy feature.

Murf'n'surf

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Stick with Ram. You've come accustom to their superior interiors, so why take a step down? Get into a Laramie or Limited if you aren't already driving one. All trucks have issues and all trucks do the same job, so get one that makes you feel like a king while in its throne.

Sugarcharged

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
2019 RAM Big Horn V8 Hemi. Very comfortable, huge back seat space and has everything I need. Great truck, tons of power, good gas mileage with 20-21 mpg highway (not towing).

@JC!

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR195
Boat Length
I pull all of my stuff with a '20 Ram Power Wagon with 35s. The 6.4 with 4.10 gears pulls great, empty I get around 13-14, loaded pulling a trailer I get around 10 unless there's a stiff headwind. If you're thinking of a 5th wheel at some point just step up to a 3500, or really look at the 2500 payload numbers 1st before you pull the trigger. The regular 2500s can drop as low as 2000 if you fully load them up with options so you may be over with a heavy 5th wheel with people and gear (my PW has a 1200lb payload so we won't get into that... lol). On the non-PW Rams, I wouldn't pass up air suspension, it really helps level the load.

waternutt

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Chaparral
Year
Boat Model
VR
Boat Length
I have a 2019 Ram Limited with air suspension. I wouldn't buy another truck without that feature. Auto levels when towing and I can drop it for loading if I need to - really slick. Not sure how heavy that 24' Chap is but our 21' Yamaha is around 4500 wet and I don't have any issues in town or on the freeway with towing it with a half ton.
My Chap is not that much more in weight. I assume you have the HEMI?

.......my suggestion is to look as far in the future as you can. If you're even remotely considering a camper, or larger towing needs, get a larger truck. It'll save hassle down the line when you impulse buy a 40ft camper :D
Good suggestion and it is that line of thinking that keeps pulling me back to 3/4 ton truck. Just like you, I would more than likely get a diesel for the capability.

BigAbe75

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Having made the leap to a 3/4 ton quad cab, long bed truck on my last switch... I won’t be going back down to a half ton anytime soon. I love it.

I don’t tow a whole lot. 24’ boat, 18’ trailer with 4wheelers, and I haul a 350 gal water tank for maintenance on our above ground pool (since we’re on well water).

The extra capacity of the longer bed and the ease at which it accommodates heavier loads is awesome. Yes, it’s a damn long truck though and takes some consideration when parking in town.

Thinking about campers in the future, and seeing my usable limit is only about 10,000lbs... that really narrows the search of campers. (I think I determined my actual weight allowed would be just over 11,000, but kind of setting a limit of 10k for myself)

If I was changing again, I’d probably go all the way to a 1 ton, just for the camper consideration. I think the price difference is negligible between a 3/4 and 1ton truck, isn’t it? At least buying used, anyway? (I could be wrong)

adrianp89

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
252SE
Boat Length
Another +1 for Ram

2kwik4u

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
If I was changing again, I’d probably go all the way to a 1 ton, just for the camper consideration. I think the price difference is negligible between a 3/4 and 1ton truck, isn’t it? At least buying used, anyway? (I could be wrong)
Even when buying used. The jump from a 2500 to a 3500 is nearly negligible in price. Your capacities go up significantly with a 3500 class truck, but your penalty in total cost of ownership is minimal.

I drove a Single Rear Wheel F350 for several years for work. I could throw 5 guys in it, with all thier gear and tools for a week of work, then tow a 28ft enclosed trailer loaded with cable and tools for a weeks work, and not have to be concerned with going over the limits. It drove, looked, and cost almost exactly the same as our F250's in the fleet.

@JC!

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR195
Boat Length
The ride is a tish stiffer on the Ram 3500 with the leaf springs vs five-link coil springs on the 2500 but other than that, they're basically the same truck but the 3500 gets you a potential ~2500 more lbs of payload.

Rammrodd

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212XE
Boat Length
Another thing to possibly look into is licensing. I don't know.how it is in Florida, but here in Minnesota when you jump to.a 3500 from a 2500 the towing capacities change the licensing from a standard vehicle class to a one ton class and you can register the vehicle as a noncommercial 1 ton vehicle. When it comes from new this can mean upwards of $500 in registration savings a year.

anmut

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212S
Boat Length

919Cummins

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
I had a 15 Silverado with the 6.2, transmission was crap. Hated the 8 speed. The last 6 months of ownership, it was in the shop 4 of them.

I went to a Ram 2500 Cummins, love the motor, hated the 68RFE, and had a ton of electrical issues. Dealer couldn't

Next was the new GMC Sierra 1500 AT4 with the 6.2. The suspension, IMO, was way too mushy. Wife even made comments that it was too springy.

I had to get out of the Sierra due it being a lease (Took new roll at work).

Got a 2020 Silverado 2500 with the new 10 speed. I did go test drive a Ford F250 before the Chevy. I will tell you, the new Chevy rides MUCH better than the F250 or Ram by a huge landslide. Got 4K miles on it so far and it has been great.

It all comes down to what you want. Also, it's better to have it and not need it, than need it and not have it. I will never go back to a 1500.

OCMD

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
2019 RAM Big Horn V8 Hemi. Very comfortable, huge back seat space and has everything I need. Great truck, tons of power, good gas mileage with 20-21 mpg highway (not towing).

Same product here. After owning 2 SIlverados over the past 35 years, and a big Chevy guy, I switched to a Ram and never looked back. Superior in all respects to the Silverado.

crazy4life

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Same product here. After owning 2 SIlverados over the past 35 years, and a big Chevy guy, I switched to a Ram and never looked back. Superior in all respects to the Silverado.
Just bought this. Very happy. 2019 2500 Laramie
12 inch screen 950 watt 17 speaker Harman Kardan sound system

IMG_6461.jpg

IMG_6390.jpg

Attachments