• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter
  • Announcing the 2024 Jetboat Pilot 10th Annual Marine Mat Group Buy for JetBoaters.net members only! This is your best time to buy Marine Mat from JetboatPilot - you won't get a better price - 30% Off! Use Coupon Code JETBOATERS.NET at checkout.

So if you are tired of stepping on really hot snaps/carpet, or tired of that musty carpet smell - Marine Mat is the best alternative out there! Get in on this now, or pay more later!

You only have until September 30th to get in on this.....So Hurry!

You can dismiss this notice by clicking on the "X" in the upper right corner>>>>>>>>

Trying to sell my boat and think I’m being scammed but I haven’t got a check or done anything with my boat yet. Need help on what to do.

NewBoater

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Guys need some help on what I need to do. I had someone looking to buy my boat that I have listed on here and also boat trader. He contacted me via boat trader. Said he wants my boat what’s my name and address and cell number to text. I texted my info then I started getting some weird email replies back. Stuff grammatically spelled wrong like it’s a hacker overseas. He’s saying he will pay more he’s busy because of pandemic and he’s in Iowa. He’s saying he will pay more than full ask because I held it for a week and he will arrange shipping or a movers company because he has recently moved. Just weird stuff.

I think it’s time to forget about him (would you agree) but how bad is it that he has my cell number and address? Anything I should do?

Thanks for any help!

Just walk away - no more contact. He will lose interest and move on. A scammer could try to use your mobile number and address, but there is very little he could do with it (you can collect that kind of info from the internet all day long).

My last email to him was I need a picture of your drivers license as I have a police friend that’s going to make sure this ain’t a scam. My guess is I never hear back but if I do I will just not reply.

I wouldn’t waste my time with boat trader...that’s where your going to pick up most scammers. Also, in this market what value does boat trader bring?

If your not on Facebook, get yourself an account and post it in FB marketplace...Something as expensive as a boat I like to see the person face to face and negotiate a deal. It will sell fairly quickly with no monkey business...

Yes facebook marketplace is very effective to use I sold one of my skied in 24 hours with over 160replies within that time and had many more constantly coming in so I had to hurry and remove the add so I could get a break from all the emails. You can also put in the info you have on this person in several google searches for scammers and see what comes up.

Yeah. Iowa? There are no lakes in Iowa. They are all in Minnesota. Everyone knows that. Must be a scam.

(kidding, I'm kidding--put the flame arresters on...)

My last email to him was I need a picture of your drivers license as I have a police friend that’s going to make sure this ain’t a scam. My guess is I never hear back but if I do I will just not reply.
@NewBoater ....do NOT give anyone a scan of your personal identification numbers. When you have a legitimate buyer if you want maximum protection you can for very little money have a lawyer act for seller and purchaser. I did this when I sold my last two boats. The lawyer held the ownership papers until the buyer's cheque cleared at my bank then my bank notified the lawyer directly and he released the paperwork to the buyer. I kept the boat until that point. Buyer arrived and towed the boat away. There are lots of other ways but that one is foolproof and you will never get ripped off doing that. I learned my lesson when I was 25. I sold a car at a good price to a single mom. She asked me to leave the plates on it and she would transfer the plates to her name "right away". B.S. Idiot that I was I did. She never transferred the plates. I finally found where she lived and went at night and removed the plates. Last time I got screwed on a sale. :cool:

If you want you can submit any of the scammers info here..

Classic overpay and have it shipped scam. Used mostly for car or motorcycle purchase and is something to the effect of " I want your XXXXX but I cannot come see it but I trust you. Please ship it to me and I will pay XXX over asking price for the inconvenience."

Classic overpay and have it shipped scam. Used mostly for car or motorcycle purchase and is something to the effect of " I want your XXXXX but I cannot come see it but I trust you. Please ship it to me and I will pay XXX over asking price for the inconvenience."

Yep. My wife had this happen selling her wedding dress online and the people actually sent us a stolen manipulated check before she figured out what was happening and we reported them.

Guys need some help on what I need to do. I had someone looking to buy my boat that I have listed on here and also boat trader. He contacted me via boat trader. Said he wants my boat what’s my name and address and cell number to text. I texted my info then I started getting some weird email replies back. Stuff grammatically spelled wrong like it’s a hacker overseas. He’s saying he will pay more he’s busy because of pandemic and he’s in Iowa. He’s saying he will pay more than full ask because I held it for a week and he will arrange shipping or a movers company because he has recently moved. Just weird stuff.

I think it’s time to forget about him (would you agree) but how bad is it that he has my cell number and address? Anything I should do?

Thanks for any help!
Total Scam! Just like Craigslist....same MO....Either moving or out of the country on business....

Thanks for any help!
I had same thing with a truck I sold. Guy wanted to buy sight unseen pay more than I asked and wanted to include extra money so I could pay the shipper. Sorry Bro it's a scam.

Back