• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Turn Off Your Battery!

Dean P

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Chaparral
Year
Boat Model
VRX
Boat Length
I'm always forgetting to turn it off. Drives me crazy. Even if I know it's off, I still check. To help calm my nerves, I thought if I hooked up an small LED light visible from the outside of the boat, I would see it off (not lite). This would act as a visible aid. Can anybody tell me how, where and what to wire it to? TIA!

BigAbe75

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
On my SX210, I only turn off the batteries when I’m done for the season. I guess there may be a small draw from some of the electronics, but that was before the newer led screens, etc.

Is it recommended to turn off after every outing on newer boats? Doesn't that wipe the memory on various settings?

Dean P

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Chaparral
Year
Boat Model
VRX
Boat Length
I've always turned them off (if I remember!). Never had an issues with lost settings.

seanmclean

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I turn the batteries off if it's out of water (most of the time). I keep it on a charger 24/7 though, so don't really mind if I forget to turn them off. As for wiring, there are plenty of options for +12V when switch is on (up by radio, right at switch, etc). Only 'issue' would be an LED on all the time when the boat is running, too. You could get clever and use a relay that would only turn the light on if battery is on and keys are out.

Mainah

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Connext boats with the “automatic sensing bilge pump” should certainly turn off their batteries when on the trailer and the plug out. If left in the water then the batteries should either be on or a second float switch bilge pump installed. Batteries probably won’t last more than a week with that stupid Connext vampire draw. I am not sure on the newest boats where they changed that but if the spu still has a vampire draw then I would say don’t leave the batteries on. I also say no to leaving the batteries on in general as there is almost always some path drawing just a bit power. The newer boats have persisent memory for everything so no worries with losing saved settings.

As for the led there are plenty of single 12v leds out there that could be used. I would check out what folks here have installed by seraching leds. The trick will be to hook them up to the cold/switched side of the battery switches. One for each switch.

Now the practically is that leaving the batteries on while hooked up to shore charger is not a big deal and I recommend always using a shore charger.

Dean P

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Chaparral
Year
Boat Model
VRX
Boat Length
I turn the batteries off if it's out of water (most of the time). I keep it on a charger 24/7 though, so don't really mind if I forget to turn them off. As for wiring, there are plenty of options for +12V when switch is on (up by radio, right at switch, etc). Only 'issue' would be an LED on all the time when the boat is running, too. You could get clever and use a relay that would only turn the light on if battery is on and keys are out.
LEDs draw such little power, don't think it'll really matter. I like the "key" idea but have no idea how this would work (not my field of expertise). Keeping it simple, can I hook up directly to the battery switch?

AJack

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Can you hook it to something like the USB plug or cig lighter (12 volt)? Doesn't that always have power if the battery switch is on? I have a temp. power line for the plotter to the cig lighter, and I can turn it on without the key when the battery is switched on.

Joatmon

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
255 SE
Boat Length
Find a connection on the switched side of the power switch at the power switch. That way you know per your LED that you are disconnecting all power from the battery. Take your positive LED lead and touch a hot connection and ground the other lead. Switch the power switch on and off until you find the right connection. If you happen to leave the battery on for say 10 days or so the LED will drain the battery.

haknslash

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Moomba
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
No need to add a light or indicator so you know your battery switch is on. Simply make it a point to use the blower as you're returning the boat to dock or the ramp. You should be using it at idle speeds anyways. The blower is loud enough to hear anywhere around the boat, not to mention it has a light on the switch, so it's an easy audible and visual indicator your battery switch is on. I also used an onboard battery charger that was located in the storage compartment next to the battery. After every use I would always ensure the battery was off as I plugged in the charger. This routine has worked well for me over the years.

Dean P

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Chaparral
Year
Boat Model
VRX
Boat Length
Thanks everyone! I really appreciate your suggestions. I do.

I ended up going straight to the battery switch. No messing around. Done!

Go Gators!!!