• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Turtle Wax Hybrid Solutions Graphene

captras

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Was wondering if anybody has looked at/tried the new Turtlewax Hybrid solutions products that contain graphene? All the car detailer reviews are great. I know that clear coat and gelcoat are different animals. I have reached out to Turtlewax regarding use on gelcoat. The test videos show remarkable hydrophobic properties and durability of the graphene products. They also have a new polishing compound called One and Done. It will remove up to 1000 grit scratches with just one application. Test videos of this on cars with faded paint were pretty remarkable also. According to the literature, graphene, at the atomic level, is lighter, smaller, and stonger than steel. There are or have been other graphene products in use but they are graphene oxides, not pure graphene, and that is supposedly a huge breakthru for Turtlewax.

I did look into this (before Christmas) and forgot about it (Thx!). The video on the black car hood which compared 2 other brands was impressive. I'll be getting some and trying it out. Price is up there but not ridiculous.

Oh boy, here we go. Graphene as a chemical that is put into solvents/water for a protectant to your car can in no way shape or form be compared to steel. This is the same type of marketing they used when ceramics first came out. It's likely decent protection, you should have no issues using it on your gelcoat. Don't buy in that it'll be hard as steel. I've installed countless ceramic coatings where people think it's supposed to protect your paint from scratches........and it won't. Sure in theory if your clear coat is super soft and you install a ceramic coating on it it'll take your super soft paint and now make it soft instead of super soft. None of these things are silver bullets. Are they better than your carnuba you used to rub on every month? Well of course they are. None of these are using pure graphene either. It's generally mixed with some other chemicals, likely a silica or Si02 based coating. If it was your $16 bottle of "graphene" would cost like $400. Pure graphene is stupid expensive. So I imagine the amount that is in these is miniscule. Just enough they can put it on the bottle. Not saying it's bad by any means, just be cautious of marketing hype.

Also there are several compounds out on the market that are "one and done" type polishes. Nearly every detailing manufacture has something similar. Meguiars has one, Carpro has one, Adams released several iterations of one, Griots has one, etc. It's also probably not bad, most likely a diminishing abrasive, or super micro abrasive which is nothing novel.

Edit: Reread this and it makes me sound like an arrogant ass. I'm totally not trying to, just saying be cautious with marketing hype. Buy it, give it a try, and if you're happy that's all that matters. If you end up not liking it you're out $16 or so. Been in the detailing game a long time. Bought several products, tried it and thought man that didn't go nearly as well as I thought it would. End up either tossing it in the bin or in my bucket of "maybe I'll need this one day before it expires".

Last edited:
Didnt take your comments like that at all! The reference to steel comparison was a little out of context. They in NO way are saying that it protects from scratches, etc. Their point was durability, and that it is more durable than even ceramic. I also did not mean to say it was pure Graphene, but rather it utilizes pure graphene compared to a graphene oxide, which is used by other vendors. I take anything I read online or see on youtube with a grain, or a lb of salt:) But these products have a very high rating amoung detailing professionals on youtube, not just the ordinary Joe. One of the ones I trust the most is Project Farm. His tests are very well done, and not supported by any company. Like all of us, I am looking for something that gives/maintains a great shine, will last more than just a couple outings, and has effective hydrophobic properties that last. Water spots on a black boat are a PITA! But thanks for you input/insight......thats why I ask, and thats why this is such a great site.

Didnt take your comments like that at all! The reference to steel comparison was a little out of context. They in NO way are saying that it protects from scratches, etc. Their point was durability, and that it is more durable than even ceramic. I also did not mean to say it was pure Graphene, but rather it utilizes pure graphene compared to a graphene oxide, which is used by other vendors. I take anything I read online or see on youtube with a grain, or a lb of salt:) But these products have a very high rating amoung detailing professionals on youtube, not just the ordinary Joe. One of the ones I trust the most is Project Farm. His tests are very well done, and not supported by any company. Like all of us, I am looking for something that gives/maintains a great shine, will last more than just a couple outings, and has effective hydrophobic properties that last. Water spots on a black boat are a PITA! But thanks for you input/insight......thats why I ask, and thats why this is such a great site.
I'd say it's too new to say concretely it's more durable than a true ceramic as most are combined with a ceramic. The hope is combining things like graphene will reduce some of the downsides of ceramic coatings, like water spotting, and potentially increasing longevity/durability. Granted that has already proven to not be entirely accurate. It has been proven to spot just as bad as ceramic coatings do. Anything with great hydrophobic properties is going to have issues with spotting. As it's the chemicals in the water that cause the spotting, the beading creates a bunch of tiny little magnifying glasses all over, and then dry in place. I have ceramic coatings on everything I own. Right now the extra expense for true graphene coatings or even true ceramic coatings with graphene are not proving their worth of the extra expense....yet. It's still fairly new, we'll see how these things advance over the years. These hybrid waxes are probably not terrible that add graphene, but I'd imagine only marginally better than their hybrid ceramics(i.e. water based sprayable "ceramic" coatings).

All I want to know is: would it stand up to Rejex?
I freaking love Rejex. I used to like Klasse all-in-one for the ease of use and great results, but Rejex is just crazy good - if you rate it by "lasting shine per unit of effort" factor (if that makes any sense) I just don't know how you top it, lol.
Thanks, @djetok.

--

I freaking love Rejex. I used to like Klasse all-in-one for the ease of use and great results, but Rejex is just crazy good - if you rate it by "lasting shine per unit of effort" factor (if that makes any sense) I just don't know how you top it, lol.
Thanks, @djetok.

--

Had not heard of Rejex. Another wrinkle to investigate!

Thanks, @djetok.

--
I was going to chime in on this. As far as rejex vs xyz. I have never used a product that has a better cost benefit. I rejex'd my boats 1 time year - cost 2 to 3 hours, 2 beers , and half a bottle of rejex ($10 est). I used to basically wash, wax, and boatblinged it , every couple of weeks.

Just ordered it from their website (was cheaper than Amazon - who'd a thought!). I'll report back and let everyone know...

Having never personally used rejex I can only go on its chemical composition. It's essentially a synthetic based sealant. My guess is anything with enough graphene or ceramic in it (Si02, Ti02) would out perform rejex. Most spray sealants are all pretty easy to use now-a-days, so I'd say that's likely a wash.

Having never personally used rejex I can only go on its chemical composition. It's essentially a synthetic based sealant. My guess is anything with enough graphene or ceramic in it (Si02, Ti02) would out perform rejex. Most spray sealants are all pretty easy to use now-a-days, so I'd say that's likely a wash.
Yeah same here , I have never tried any of the new stuff since I found rejex. I know what rejex gives me and price or performance wise I cannot complain.

Also yes we still use it on kenworth t800 roll off fleet and are seeing a increase of approx 2 mpg per truck. So 8 trucks at 250 to 300 miles per day. It saves me money, or and oh yeah the landfill grime slides right off with a water hose.

Yeah same here , I have never tried any of the new stuff since I found rejex. I know what rejex gives me and price or performance wise I cannot complain.

Also yes we still use it on kenworth t800 roll off fleet and are seeing a increase of approx 2 mpg per truck. So 8 trucks at 250 to 300 miles per day. It saves me money, or and oh yeah the landfill grime slides right off with a water hose.
Yeah, those polymer sealants were all the rage before ceramics came out. I did some pre-release testing on this stuff back in the day.

Was actually really good stuff. I gave away the rest of the bottle once I was done with my testing to a coworker that was looking for a good easy to use sealant. Acrylic resins, or polymer sealants were super popular, and pretty good stuff. Used to use a product from adams called H20 guard and gloss. That was good stuff too.

Just ordered it from their website (was cheaper than Amazon - who'd a thought!). I'll report back and let everyone know...
It's here. Now I have to wait for warmer weather; 56° is too cold!

1610221939516.png

oh, boy.
Does it come with a "Baby Cashmere Burmese Flower" silk towel applicator? :cool:

--
LOL, It should right...If you could pull the cold front back up there, I'd really appreciate it. ?

Will be interested in the Graphene results. I spent today trying out 3 new products on my '03 Vette, and and very happy with the results. I plan on using all of these on my boat when I clean it up next month. I used a clay mitt, rather than a clay bar. OMG....at least 4 times faster, and just as effective.....will NEVER buy another clay bar :) Second was the new compound from Turtlewax called One and Done. EXTREMELY impressed with the results. My Vette is in great shape but alot of little scuffs, bug droppings/stains etc. that never came out with a wax or polish. This stuff made the paint look brand new. Third was the Ceramic Spray by Turtlewax. Not a new product, but new to me, and reviews seemed good. Left an awesome shine and easy to use....but hell, all waxes, polishes, sealants look good after you put them on. Will see what happens after some road trips and washes. Lastly, and not really a boat thing, was Meguiars Hyper Dressing for the engine compartment. This stuff is great. Its made for plastice, rubber, etc, and waterbased. After cleaning and drying the area, just spray it on. no wiping....it spreads and self levels. After a couple of hours, its done. Easy to go back and wipe any excess that may remain. Next project for all of this will be my '69 Chevelle SS, then the Silverado!

Attachments

• Vette Left Frnt.jpg
    Vette Left Frnt.jpg
    244.6 KB · Views: 20
  • Vette Left Rear.jpg
    Vette Left Rear.jpg
    237.3 KB · Views: 24
  • Vette Engine.jpg
    Vette Engine.jpg
    157.7 KB · Views: 23
Vette's have brutally hard paint, same with Caddy's. Had to take a rotary to a caddy to remove even the tiniest of swirls. Blew my mind.

It's here. Now I have to wait for warmer weather; 56° is too cold!

View attachment 139898
It warmed up a little yesterday so I did a small section of the boat. Washed the area first and then applied/sprayed onto the surface. I wiped off/buffed (by hand) with a clean cloth. The boat has tons of water spots which this product barely touched (after first application). Pictures below are taken 24 hours later after applying 6 times. I am very disappointed in the results. Definitely not what I was expecting. This is not a one step process as I'm used to with other products. Try it on the Tesla next; should be better.

1611084856476.png

1611084873619.png

Waterspots generally have to be removed either chemically, with some form of acid wash, or mechanically(polished off with a buffer/compound). Were you expecting waterspots to be removed with this product?

Waterspots generally have to be removed either chemically, with some form of acid wash, or mechanically(polished off with a buffer/compound). Were you expecting waterspots to be removed with this product?
I was hoping (not shocked that it didn't) but didn't know what to expect. Was counting on more shine though...

Back