• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Two headed Viper

Paulie

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I just installed two Cobra Jet Steering Viper setups on my SX230 and I must say, I am very pleased with the results. I have been a jetboater and jetskier since the mid 90's and I have had my current boat since 2007. I originally added an earlier version of Cobra fins back in 2008 because I could not stand the lack of tracking ability at low speeds on my boat. I ran that system until 2014 when I decided to switch to a set of Thrust Vextor XL's because I thought I was missing the old jetboat feel. I was happy at the time with my switch but after a few seasons I grew tired again of the limited straight tracking ability at anything above no wake mode and the squirly jetboat feel when crossing wakes. So, I decided to give the Venoms a shot.
The first thing that I noticed while backing off of my trailer is that I still had the same level of control even though the Vipers do not extend as far down in the water. The second noticeable plus was that the boat seemed to plane more quickly and I was actually able to reduce my speed and maintain a plane by about 500 rpm less when compared to not having the vipers. This is due to the trim tab like design aspect. But, the biggest improvement for me was the off idle tracking ability. Holding at 3k and 4K rpm, I had excellent tracking and I didn't have to constantly course correct. Another benefit that I noticed is when coming off plane in an emergency stop situation where you quickly pull the throttles back to neutral, I actually had some steering control. That's something I don't think that I ever had before. So, overall, I am pretty excited about my new mod and the only downside is that it is mid October and time to put her away for the winter. Meh. But I look forward to next season with my new Viper setup!

BigAbe75

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Would you say at least $60 better than your previous Cobra fins?

Just quick math on the Cobra website, Ultimates w/Fangs would be about $260. And, twin Vipers would be $318.

I'm intrigued by the additional planing surface, as I don't currently have any intention of adding trim tabs on this boat.

Paulie

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
@BigAbe75 , I think you have the price for a single set of ultimates with fangs because from what I see on the website it would cost $454.98 for a twin setup of ultimates.
I had an older set of Cobra fins which were no where near as advanced and functional as the ultimates.
That being said, the Vipers are definitely hands down better than my original Cobras but I cannot attest to their performance compared to the Ultimates because I have never owned or driven a boat equipped with those. I hope that answers your question.

Cobra Jet Steering LLC

Jetboaters Admiral
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
bigabe75 Your math is slightly flawed somehow ,twin engine set of Ultimates is 369 and fangs are 85 two vipers are 318 he had the older stainless fins on his boat originally so they were 324 a twin set so the vipers are actually less than any of the steering systems he owned including the plastic fins he just removed.

Last edited:

BigAbe75

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length

Cobra Jet Steering LLC

Jetboaters Admiral
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
Update on this experiment with the vipers on a twin engine boat, the first person testing them was doing it on a 24 foot boat, I have never had any feedback from him , so I let a second person @Paulie do a test of the vipers on his 23 foot boat, He also did a comparison of the ULTIMATE STEERING WITH FANGS on the same boat, yes the cost is more but the ULTIMATE SET with fangs won out over the viper in this comparison test So I will be getting the two vipers back soon , I built the vipers as a model specific system for the single engine boats with the wide stance and the planning surface plus the built in fangs, This gives the single engine hull better exposure for the fins and fangs of the viper system but in the twin engine arena the inner fins etc are covered by the hull so at speed they were not as effective . So now we have a comparison and don't even try to get the Ultimates away from him he loves them.

his words "

"Hi Jeff,

I was able to get out and test the ultimates this past weekend before the weather went to crap on us up here. I love them. Definitely a lot better than the vipers for my application. As I have seen you state before, the boat just handles "like it should" now. "

So for the twin engine setup I guess we stick with the Ultimates They are my best selling system by a mile.

Paulie

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Thanks Jeff!
I have to add one more thing about my test this past weekend. I dragged my wife of 25 yrs out on a brisk and gloomy Saturday morning for the test run and mind you, she has never ever shown any interest in piloting our boat in the ten years that we have owned it. We cruised around for about 15 min and I did all the usual maneuvers and the boat handled like it was on rails but I knew she was getting cold and wasn’t really that into it this morning so I shot back to the ramp. As soon as I came down off plane on approach to the dock, she turns to me and says, “I think that I would like you to show me how to drive the boat next summer”. I was floored! All I could say was that Jeff would have tears in his eyes when I tell him. She looked back at me with one of those “what the hell are you talking about” looks. I’m sure there’s a few of you out there that know exactly what I mean. Lol.
Thanks again Jeff, for another great product!!!

Cobra Jet Steering LLC

Jetboaters Admiral
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
I actually hear that a lot and all I can say is get accustom to the passenger seat. REALLY!