• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Upgrading 232 Limited S sound system...need help

merlinjet

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I'm upgrading a 2009 232 Limited S with a new sound system. Here's my equipment list:

2 x Kicker 6.5" (65 watts RMS)
4 x Kicker 8" (2 in the cabin, 2 in tower cans) (150 watts RMS}
1 x Kicker 10" Freeair Sub (175 watts RMS)
Kenwood KMR-M325BT w/KCA-R55MR remote control
Rockville RXM8BTB 8 Channel Amplifier (I've read relevant posts)

Since I'm a newbe at this, I have some basic questions:
What's the general consensus on this equipment list?
How would I configure the amp to the speakers to get the best output?
For those of you that have put cans on a 232 Limited tower, is this in the "too hard to do" category from a wiring perspective?

Any input would be welcome. I don't really know my a$$ from third base about audio installation but want to give it a go.

Meetball

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
If you are deadset on this amp, then it wont work with the equipment list you have. you would get 65 rms to each of your speakers and 190 to the sub.

Meetball

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
If I was to spend your money I would do it in stages. How much are you willing to spend the first time so you dont have to do it 3 times?

merlinjet

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
If you are deadset on this amp, then it wont work with the equipment list you have. you would get 65 rms to each of your speakers and 190 to the sub.
No, not deadest on any of it.

If I was to spend your money I would do it in stages. How much are you willing to spend the first time so you dont have to do it 3 times?
Around $1500 I suppose

Bruce

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
That tower is too hard to wire. How about you sell me the tower and get yourself a new one to make the wiring easier?

merlinjet

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Love that tower, can't part with it. It's a work of (Yamaha) art!

zipper

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boston Whaler
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
I know different tower but, you CAN wire the tower, but the wiring will be visible in three places. Where wiring exits the tower going to the cans, where the two sections of tower join you have to get around that joint and where the tower meets the hull, those are solid so wiring will need to enter tower above the weld or like the pic. below, up thru the drain hole in the tube on the upper section. My 07's AR tower is different, but I managed to only see wiring in two places because of tower design.

getting around the joint between the two tower sections

0725161247.jpg

and top of tower where your speekers will be.

0725161245.jpg

Because of my tower design I used the front tower mounting positions to run wiring thru tower base, I did have to drill a hole thru the fiberglass to meet the existing drain hole in the base, its hollow, directly into the helm locker and the head/storage locker on the other side. It was easier to see when I removed the tower bolts. This probably does not help You much...but it can be done.

Attachments

Last edited:

merlinjet

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Thx for the info and the pics, zipper. Yes, my tower is quite a bit different from yours. I have posted a picture of a boat (not mine, just representative) with my particular tower. Also, it has speaker cans mounted about halfway up the tower arch. I know there are wires going all the way to the top of the arch because there are factory installed dome lights and tweeters in the top of the arch.

s_quakertown_pa_22925195.jpg

Mainah

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
The kickers are good budget speakers and I had no idea that they made a free air sub. If set on that amp you could use it to bridge the 8 channels down to 4 for the 8 inch speakers and get another amp for the sub and 6 inch speakers. Or just an amp for the sub and run the 6 inch speakers off the headunit output. Set the crossovers appropriately and start with low volume to make sure they actually work right. To run the wires I would probably tie some string, fishing line, or a fish tape to the existing tweeters pull them back out from below and then pull everything back up with what you pulled down. Multiple strands may be a good idea in case the whole bundle is too much for one.

My disdain for the rockville amp crossovers is well documented and I suspect not the cleanest power for full ranges. That said my two rockville rxm-t2 are still working well pushing subs in my truck and boat but that is with upstream digital crossovers.

zipper

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boston Whaler
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Thx for the info and the pics, zipper. Yes, my tower is quite a bit different from yours. I have posted a picture of a boat (not mine, just representative) with my particular tower. Also, it has speaker cans mounted about halfway up the tower arch. I know there are wires going all the way to the top of the arch because there are factory installed dome lights and tweeters in the top of the arch.

View attachment 92483
Yes, I know I was looking at how the wiring was run around the joint between upper and lower towers using this example from online when I posted my pics above. I can't tell from this angle, but the rear tower mounting bases may be hollow like my front ones were, allowing consealment of the wire at the tower to deck joint.

Screenshot_20190424-144549_Chrome.jpg

Last edited:

merlinjet

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Oh, OK, I see what you were talking about now...thx!

merlinjet

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
The kickers are good budget speakers and I had no idea that they made a free air sub. If set on that amp you could use it to bridge the 8 channels down to 4 for the 8 inch speakers and get another amp for the sub and 6 inch speakers. Or just an amp for the sub and run the 6 inch speakers off the headunit output. Set the crossovers appropriately and start with low volume to make sure they actually work right. To run the wires I would probably tie some string, fishing line, or a fish tape to the existing tweeters pull them back out from below and then pull everything back up with what you pulled down. Multiple strands may be a good idea in case the whole bundle is too much for one.
Thank you for the advice! Since I'm not set on the Rockville amp, would you have any alterative suggestions to power this set of speakers that might stay in a modest budget?

Mainah

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I honestly don't have any other budget amp recommendations. Some folks have had luck with some other micro amps that don't have selectable crossovers and such but I have not tried them personally to be able to give a recommendation. I can recommend JL amps but they are far from budget.

swatski

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
@merlinjet if your boating is all in NV, no salt, I would consider a car-spec-ed JL amp? those can be found for under $200 with same specs/power as their $$$ marine counterparts.
Just a thought.

--

merlinjet

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Yes, all fresh water, low humidity, fair weather boating. I'll look into the JL car gear...great idea!

BlkGS

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Those numbers are both slightly over the speaker ratings.... not a big deal at all. It would work fine.

BlkGS

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Thank you for the advice! Since I'm not set on the Rockville amp, would you have any alterative suggestions to power this set of speakers that might stay in a modest budget?
Why not a Kicker or Rockford Fosgate amp?

merlinjet

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Those numbers are both slightly over the speaker ratings.... not a big deal at all. It would work fine.
Yeah, I figured that.