• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Upgrading 242 LS Stereo with Stock Speakers

dzeppos

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Hello All,
I"m upgrading the stock 2016 242 LS stereo by adding the 6 channel Wet Sounds™ Hydro-Tech™ X (HTX) Series Amplifier, plus a XS-10FA 10 inch marine subwoofer.
Will the existing speakers work for this?

OR ff did need better speakers, I could spend even more money and get the JL Audio® SLAMPAK™ Interior Audio System (includes two pairs of MX-Series 6.5" Coaxial Speakers, one MX-Series 10" Subwoofer, a 600-watt six-channel amplifier)

Any thoughts on a moderate level upgrade on the stereo?
Thanks in advance
Demo

Jgorm

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Amps make a huge difference. You could see how you like it before upgrading. Or go jl and know it will kick ass.

CraigAR

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
The htx-6 series amp will go into all channel protect mode when you turn your engines off and then try to turn the key back to the on position. Voltage protection mode. I have 2 motors so I am in the habit of shutting down one engine and putting that back to the on position before killing the other engine. Major pita, other than that it's a great amp.

dzeppos

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I can still run them on the house battery only? Correct?
Thanks again for the heads up

CraigAR

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I have 3 amps hooked up to my house battery pushing 10 speakers and a sub and have had no problems. When the boat is shut down I usually am at about 40% volume for 4 hours and the voltage never drops below 12.1

dzeppos

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Cool - I did the The Wet Sounds™ Hydro-Tech Amplifier and Subwoofer - and they make a big difference. But I do like quality, and the stock polk speakers that came with the 242LS start losing quality at the high end and can't carry the sound to compete with the new subwoofer.
I'm looking at the XS-65 6.5" Coaxial Speaker by Wet Sounds™ or the Polk MM6502 speakers to replace the six stock speakers.
Will it make another big difference, and which 6.5" speakers do you recommend?
Thanks

Weeb

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
The htx-6 series amp will go into all channel protect mode when you turn your engines off and then try to turn the key back to the on position. Voltage protection mode. I have 2 motors so I am in the habit of shutting down one engine and putting that back to the on position before killing the other engine. Major pita, other than that it's a great amp.
Do you have to actually leave the key on to use the amp when just floating?

dzeppos

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Do you have to actually leave the key on to use the amp when just floating?
The Amp integrates with the existing unit - you don't need to leave key on - just use it in float mode like stock option

swatski

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Cool - I did the The Wet Sounds™ Hydro-Tech Amplifier and Subwoofer - and they make a big difference. But I do like quality, and the stock polk speakers that came with the 242LS start losing quality at the high end and can't carry the sound to compete with the new subwoofer.
I'm looking at the XS-65 6.5" Coaxial Speaker by Wet Sounds™ or the Polk MM6502 speakers to replace the six stock speakers.
Will it make another big difference, and which 6.5" speakers do you recommend?
Thanks
Interested in what you will decide!
I've ICON8s on the tower with DB651s (10) in cockpit/swim deck. Not bad at all, but when those go I'll be hesitant what to do, as the ICON8s so overpower the DBs. I have the WS420 and I can make it all work but...

--