• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Used Porsche opportunity, what would you do?

Bruce

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Salvaged titles significantly reduce the value. Stick shift increases the value. I considered a salvage title car to build a track car once. Otherwise I would run away.

$7500 for a 996 sounds like something bad is wrong with it!

Ronnie

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I feel the same way @Bruce about both matters.

The seller of the $7500 car has only responded to me once. I've got questions about maintenance, like has it had any. He doesn't have a cell phone so he can't text. When i called it goes straight to magic jack voice mail. I didn't think anyone actually used a magic jack these days. I offered via email to take the day off yesterday or today to drive out, check it out and possibly buy the car (cashiers check in hand), not any easy thing for me since he is over 100 miles away and I'd have to work the logistics of getting the car I drive out in back if I buy the porsche. Still the low price has me very interested, even if I have to put another $2,500 into it.

I checked out the local pca site you referred me to and like what I see, so does my wife. We are not interested in the track events but the local autocross stuff looks like fun (e.g. Santa Cruz loop, winery runs, etc.).

I'm eyeing two 1999 cabriolets now, both over 100k miles but both predate the ims issue. One has lots of extras like a hard top and upgraded body parts/headlights, etc. the other one is 25 miles away. Both are about $16k.

MikeyL

Passed Away
In Memoriam-RIP
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
I spoke to my dentist about the car yesterday, its a stick and it has a salvaged title. I could live with the stick but not the salvaged title. The search continues. There is a coupe for sale for $7,500 that I am ready to buy immediately but the seller is not available to show it until this weekend.[/QUOTE
??????????????
Not to be a downer, @Ronnie, but "Coupe" does not = CONVERTIBLE.
'Jes sayin' ............ My $ 0.02 worth (and according to Barbie that keeps being worth less and less).

Ronnie

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
@MikeyL , I hear you on the coupe but at half the price I can't ignore it. Here is the craigslist ad for it. My gut feeling is that something is wrong with it and if it does check out it is already sold or their is a sale pending. I started to respond within 10 hours of the ad being posted. By the following morning, the seller claimed he already had "tons" of voice and email on it, so many he can't keep them straight. I believe him since it looks like the best deal going for a 911 right now. Although I have my doubts, I'll be closely monitoring my personal email and voicemail through this weekend. If the stars lineup on this it could be in my garage by this weekend.

http://sfbay.craigslist.org/sby/cto/4884262455.html

Here are the two others I'm looking at. I like the silver one because of the color and its closer to my home but it has more miles on it and less extras. The white one is nice but comes with more extras than I cannot easily store so I'd pass on the aftermarket tires and rims as well as the f1 steering wheel. I don't know where I'd store the hard top if I got this one.

http://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-sale/vehicledetails.xhtml?zip=94587&endYear=2016&modelCode1=911&showcaseOwnerId=63782197&startYear=1981&makeCode1=POR&searchRadius=25&maxPrice=18000&mmt=[POR[911[]][]]&listingId=379912188&Log=0

http://sfbay.craigslist.org/sfc/cto/4857400389.html

MikeyL

Passed Away
In Memoriam-RIP
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
@Ronnie: If the seller and the car checks out, I love the SILVER Carrera !

4x15mph

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Craigslist - if it sounds to good to be true, it isn't true. Watch the scammers which there are a lot in boats and cars.

I can't believe the porsche story ended with the dentist telling you "by the way, it has a salvage title".

Ronnie

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Yeah I've discovered a lot over the past few days. The two 911s Cabs I listed are the only 911s that are priced close to their blue book values. I saw over 160 of them of varying ages and models and most are listed at over $10k more than kbb some a lot more like 2x kbb.

The silver one is more like my dentists color wise. I was disappointed after speaking with him as well. According to his mechanic the if the ims hasn't broken yet it probably won't. He had it checked out when he bought the car 8 years ago but didn't have the bearing replaced. He also made it sound like the salvaged title was no big deal. I was surprised that he bought the car knowing it had a salvaged title.

veedubtek

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scout
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
IMS's have a lower failure rate if they are driven like they are meant to be. Driven once a week to church on Sunday, they all fail, even the dual row units in the 99's.

Ronnie

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
That's what I've been reading but also recently read about a guy whose dual row ims in a 99 failed at 135k miles. The most prevalent theory is that frequent oil changes are the best preventive maintenance.

Update: I've given up on the $7,500 coupe. I have an appointment to inspect and test drive the white one later this week and am now considering buying the aftermarket tires and steering wheel if I decide to buy the car.

Ronnie

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I test drove a Porsche 911 Carrara yesterday. It was the first time I had ever driven or ridden in one. Maybe it was just the car i happened to be in but overall the experience was a disappointment. The car was mechanically sound but wasn't as fast or responsive as I thought it would be. I will test drive a few more but if my experience doesn't improve in them Porsche is coming off my list. I'm already starting to reconsider used vettes as well as the Mercedes in the sl, slk and clk lineups. I live the tech in the vettes but also love the hard top convertible of the benzs. The clk is just there because it has 4 seats. As long as I don't buy anything for the water I have my families approval. I'm not complaining as this is "what to buy? Is a fun and good "problem" to have.

Bruce

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
What kind of roads were you driving on? Porsches excel on twisty roads and in the upper half of the RPM range. Driven in the lower half of the RPM range they behave tamely. 911s are at their peak when you start to feel the back end trying to lead the way. Lots of other cars are faster in a straight line.

MikeyL

Passed Away
In Memoriam-RIP
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
@Ronnie : I like you are continuing sticking with looking at convertibles. There's nothing like this !
However, I would like to suggest a different alternative.
For YOU, Son ......... This choice gives you your cake AND you can "eat" it too !
Best Wishes, Mikey Lulejian - Havin' FUN, on Lake Oconee, GA

New Car - sm.jpg

Ronnie

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I test drove another porsche yesterday (2004 911 cab with less than 75k miles). It's just not as solid feeling as I'd like it to be. In both instances I was on local roads, mostly straight, not on the freeway. These cars are off my list now and I'm currently focused on used vettes but that's a different story/thread. Thanks again for all of the feed back guys!

cozilla

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Moomba
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length

jwells

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
View attachment 16458 View attachment 16459 So I was BSing with my dentist the other day and at the end of the conversation he offers to sell me his 2004 911 Carrara convertible for $15k. It has a 75k miles on it a new top and tires. The seats are starting to crack and some of the carbon fiber trim pieces are fading/flacking from sun exposure interior because he often left the top down.

Here are two pics of the exterior.

Not knowing jack about Porches I told him I will get back to him. Turns out the kbb on this in good condition is $15k but I did a 1000 mile radius online search and the cheapest comp. I could find was $27k. Some were asking $45k.

Anyway, I told my wife about it as a how was your day story and she gave me the green light to buy it and take her car's spot in the garage.

I've never been big on porches and never driven one but I'm thinking about buying it anyway, using it for a year (or so-until die) and sell it for at least what I paid for it.

What worries me are the possible maintenance costs. Is there a $5k tune up do at 75k miles? Are these things known to be problematic on certain systems? I need to do more research. I'm going to take a closer look and possibly talk to the owner tomorrow to set up a test drive.

I'm not on the fence yet but I'm climbing it.

I was thinking about buying something anyway so WTF or what the F am I thinking?

What would you do?
If you don't buy it let me know that's a good price. I would buy it

Ronnie

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
It is a good price but it has a salvaged title so I passed.

Ronnie

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I ended up buying this, '03 corvette convertible. I only drive it one or two days a week, if that but when I do I love it.

image.jpg