• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Used Porsche opportunity, what would you do?

Big Shasta

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
@Ronnie are you certain that the upgrade hasn't already been done by the owner?
Very good point, it could go either way. Either he's a car guy that researched it and wanted to make it better or he's just rich enough that he just gets something new if it craps out. Could go either way but worth asking....if he has proof of those concerns being addressed then it could be a steal.

Zeus2013

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Spoke to my brother-in-law who is an auto technician at Porsche. IMS bearings an issue, price is low which makes him think there are other issues, dash trims are horrible and always come off, is this manual or automatic? The automatics are slow.

He would never recommend this specific car.

Just his 2 cents worth.

Ronnie

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Good question @itsdgm . I will ask that of the owner but Ive been with his dental practice for over a decade and he doesn't strike me as a proactive guy, more like if its not broken he is not fixing it. My wife prefers the automatic but I could go either way. I still don't know for sure but I think it is a stick. I should be able to see it again to talk to the guy by Tuesday.

@Zeus2013 , sorry I didn't get back to you yesterday. Thanks for talking to your brother in law. What you relayed pretty much tips the scales toward " no go". If the bearing issue has been addressed I'd still consider it since I'm sure it performs better than anything I've got and I would not be pushing it much anyway. I just want to own and drive one for one or two years, not trying to make any money just don't want to lose my a$$.

@Big Shasta , thanks for the link to the MBZ SLs. I looked at a few used but newer models a couple years ago but consumer reports long term reviews weren't to favorable where reliability and cost of ownership / maintenance and repair were concerned.

On a related side note, my son has been using his rc drift car at business (more like ultimate man cave) nearby, they have two indoor tracks along with plenty of tires, two go karts, two razor sliders, mopeds oh and two Porsches one of which went to SEMA in 2011 and a 1978 Datsun / Nissan skyline Gtr. As it turns out, one of the track owner's other business is being the exclusive North American distributor of the SEMA porche (parts and labor). The black one pictured is valued at $150k. I haven't talked to the Porsche guys yet just seen the cars.

Bruce

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Do you have more pics of the grey GTR? If I had stayed in England a little longer I was going to buy one or a TVR.

Ronnie

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
@Bruce , sorry I don't have anymore pics. I will take somemore the next time we go there to drift but they only open for that on weekends . Let me know what you want to see (I'm not comfortable asking them to let me get in it or anything like that). By the way he had another slightly different one as well both are white-off white. He exchanged the other one for the white Porsche since the last time I was there. Rumor is he has 15 cars and tries to rotate their use regularly. This is only one of his man caves.

Bruce

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I was just curious which version the grey one was. The white one appears to be original early 70s GT-R. It is easier to import since it is over 25 years old. Looking at it more I believe the grey one is older as well.

I was looking at R33 or possible R34 models. This is an R33

Bruce

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Late model Skylines are insanely fast and AWD but I would prefer the 996 Cab you were looking at and a twisty road.

Ronnie

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I didn't even know the skyline had been around so long and thought the first version was the one used in the first fast and furious movie.

Back on the Porsche, I called my mechanic today and he confirmed that he has experience working on them so he would be able to do so if i end up buying one. I drove by my dentist's office today hoping it and he would be there but they weren't. Maybe tomorrow.

Bruce

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
On the Porsche, $15K is a price for an old used up daily driver Boxster. When the 996 came out with water cooled engines traditionalists hated it. The looks of the 997 seem to have brought the enthusiasm back. So I expect the 996 prices will always be depressed. From a collectors perspective that is a bad thing but it does not make the 996 any less fun to drive and makes it a better value.

You should attend a Porsche Club of America event. My experience is that PCA has a lot of friendly members who will want to meet you and talk about your car whether it is a 997 or a 914.

Every time I take our twenty year old 968 out I leave a lot of stress behind on twisty roads. It is amazing how I can take her to the nicest hotel in town and have the valets and often guests staring at and talking about our car.

This poster is on the wall in my office.

image.jpg

PEARCE

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
The Skylines, as far as I know, are pretty sought after by the import tuner crowd as well as collectors. I'd personally rather have a Skyline then a Porsche or even a Ferrari. The current Skyline is on my top 5 list of disired cars if I have the opportunity to buy it.

BravoMike

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I did not read all the posts, but here is my 2 cents. Agree with others, mx costs are very high. I had an opportunity to buy a 2006 Porsche Cayman with only 38,000 miles, great shape, all the mx paperwork and knew the history. Belong to a good friend that past away. Ask my mechanic what he thought and he said no matter what I bring it in to have done, I could count on a minimum $1000 bill. That was enough for me. It it one sweet car though.

cozilla

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Moomba
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
:drool on the car pics!

Ronnie

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I was back there yesterday and saw a few more cars, actual cars not rc. One was a classic 2nd generation camero like the one in the first transformers movie. Th e other two were modified Nissan 240 sxs. One a confpvertible both modified to drift with big tires and v8 eninges with turbos. I'll try and get pics next time, I was in awe this time and just forgot.

Back on the Porsche, I've talked it over with my wife and have decided that if it's an automatic and still available to purchase it and have the ims (intermediate shaft) bearing replaced soon after I take possession of the car. Since the offer to sell was made I have not been able to speak to the seller, my dentist, he doesn't work many days per week as it is and was off most of last week. I have porsche on the brain and have been looking online for over a week. I've also done a lot more research on the ims issue and may identify a shop to do the ims work next week. My regular mechanic can handle the general maintenance but I'd like a shop with specific experience on the ims to do the preventive maintenance work of replacing it with an upgraded bearing. If I get the subject porsche or another one I will probably be rearranging the garage so that my wife and I can each keep a car in it.

So why buy a porsche I could care less about less than 2 weeks ago? Simply put, I want to own a really nice sports car while I'm still young enough to enjoy it and I can't find a better deal on a similar model. I don't want a Boxter or a coupe, it has to a convertible and now it has to be an automatic (my wife and I both know how to drive a stick but since it will replace her commuter car, a '93 civic, she wants an automatic or she won't drive it, especially in the commute traffic out here). Other cars I've considered are used vettes, Nissan 350s/370s and their infinity variants, the Subaru brz and Toyota frs, BMW m3s and mereceds SLs. For me, it's got to be a porsche . I looked at a few used ferrarris as well but that is purely fantasy land at the asking and maintenance prices I saw (e.g. $55k for a 1997 355 before $5k to $8k for the 25k mile mfg suggest maintenance, I didn't even bother to get an insurance quote on that). If my dentists car is no longer available, I will just keep my eye out for something comparable. The plan is to get into one, including the upgrade, first year ins costs and tax for less than $20k (and no auto loan) drive it for a year or two and decide if I want to keep or sell it at that point.

About the ims. Pictures speak loader than words so here are links to videos that explains the issue better and the cost to repair better. In short, the bearing sits at the end of a shaft at the bottom of the engine, the shaft holds the gears that the it timing chains are attached to, the other mounting points of the timing chains are the cam shafts. If the bearing fails it throws the timing off and sends debris through the engine, effectively destroying it in seconds. The cost to replace the bearing with a better one is $1,500 to $3k depending on which bearing is used and who does the work. The cost to replace a destroyed engine is $12k to $18k depending on if the engine is new or used, this excludes labor costs.

Ims bearing:

Catastrophic failure results:

Thanks to all of you for your thoughts on this, especially @ Bruce and @Zeus2013.

Last edited:

octavio3311

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
A very good friend of mine is the regional sales manager for the areas VW/Audi/Porsche dealerships. Got to talking to him a couple of months ago about buying a 1 year old Cayenne with 10k miles.
Now hes been working for Audi/Porsche for well over 15 years. He says "you don't buy these cars, you lease them. Cause maintenance and repairs will cost a fortune after the warranties are over and they will require tons of maintenance". His words, not mine.
That said - I get to drive most of the cars he brings home - I've driven most of the new Porsches and the new Audis. We played with a 450hp RS5 a couple of weeks ago. And a bad ass Macan. I want one, they are incredible driving cars but just can't bring myself to justify it.

Good luck with the Porsche @Ronnie.
Post some pics when u bring her home.

Last edited:

Bruce

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
This is your local PCA region http://www.pca-ggr.org . You can join as a Quest Member while you are shopping. They should be able to point you to a good shop to have the bearing replaced or help you find a nice 996 Cab. Membership is $46 a year and includes a magazine covering all ages of Porsches.

I think you are right about the other cars mentioned. Porsche is the most exotic car that is viable as a daily driver. Ferrari, Lamborghini, Maserati, etc have way too expensive and frequent maintenance costs. I owned a grey market import 300ZX in England and loved it. I occasionally drove or autocrossed my brothers M3 and I put 80k miles on an Alpina B10. I have driven my brothers BRZ. I have even driven a Skyline. But in many of it's models Porsche combines amazing style with performance equal to or better than the others and German engineering.

MikeyL

Passed Away
In Memoriam-RIP
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Hey @Ronnie ..........

Most IMPORTANT thing ya said, Son ..........

"
....it has to a convertible !"

Nicely done. Good Luck ! Mikey Lulejian - Lake Oconee, GA

Murf'n'surf

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
@Ronnie It sounds like you just need to call this dentist rather than try to catch him at work?

Ronnie

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
@Ronnie It sounds like you just need to call this dentist rather than try to catch him at work?
Yeah, the plan is to call in the morning this week and get off work early to meet him if he is available. I'm ready move on this immediately.

Ronnie

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I spoke to my dentist about the car yesterday, its a stick and it has a salvaged title. I could live with the stick but not the salvaged title. The search continues. There is a coupe for sale for $7,500 that I am ready to buy immediately but the seller is not available to show it until this weekend.