• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Used SX210 Pricing aka Captain Hook's quest for the Jolly Roger

txav8r

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
There are many tower options available to you. Samson makes a very nice collapsible forward sweep that is similar to the 232 limited "S" models tower. It is a little more squared off so the stock bimini works better with it, but you will have to mod the front bimini poles, so they adjust in height to allow the bimini to extend and fold under the tower, then you just pop the poles back to full extension and your golden. I think I have a picture of a 232L with that arch! Here it is...232 forward arch tower2 resize.JPG232 forward arch tower3 resize.JPG 232 forward arch tower4 resize(Medium).jpg 232 forward arch tower5 resize(Medium).jpg 232 forward arch tower6 resize (Medium).jpg

captainhook

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited
Boat Length
There are many tower options available to you. Samson makes a very nice collapsible forward sweep that is similar to the 232 limited "S" models tower. It is a little more squared off so the stock bimini works better with it, but you will have to mod the front bimini poles, so they adjust in height to allow the bimini to extend and fold under the tower, then you just pop the poles back to full extension and your golden. I think I have a picture of a 232L with that arch! Here it is...View attachment 8876View attachment 8877 View attachment 8878 View attachment 8879 View attachment 8880
Thanks, I think I may wait a couple of years for that but it certainly looks great.

captainhook

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited
Boat Length
From a sx210 to a 232 limited. ;)
I know, right? I should have put this thread in the general section, not in the model specific section. I'm surprised at the amount of replies I've gotten having it in here.

jdonalds

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
It seems you did quite well finding that boat with low hours. Congratulations.

I always look at Recent Posts rather than any specific section on this forum. I'm guessing most others do also. With Recent Posts you get to see new entries for many if not all of the sections. That may be why you got more hits than you thought you would.

mark_m

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Go for it. That was my "fallback boat" if nothing else panned out. From the pictures and OCMD's description, it looks great!
just got off the phone with Eric! Great guy, he's going to get trailer ready for me to haul from MD to OH!

Last edited:

captainhook

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited
Boat Length
We've had a great time so far with this boat. I get compliments every time I have it out and whenever I show people pictures. I'm definitely glad I listened to everyone here and went with the bigger boat. I don't think a single person said go with the 210. About 10 days after I bought this boat, I found out that we were expecting our third child, so the room will definitely go to good use. My wife and kids haven't gotten up to the bow to ride yet because it's too windy for my 1 year old, but it's my second favorite spot in the boat, next to the captain's chair. The engines have plenty of power for a family and I rarely get above 30 MPH with two kids aboard. It feels like there is still a ton left above that too. I was surprised at the amount of power required to put the boat on plane but I am glad I have the extra power as I just got a wakeboard and I'm sure will be pulling tubes soon. It seems pretty reasonable on fuel as well and we've burned about 1/8th or a little less of a tank each time we've gone out though we spend more time on the swim platform than we do riding. The kids just absolutely love it. My 4 year old told me that our boat is her favorite when previously she was telling me she "wanted a boat like Grandpap's." Yesterday, she informed us that his boat "isn't her favorite anymore" as we were all anchored along a sandy beach. My oldest daughter thinks the head compartment is just the greatest thing and loves to go in there--this alone was probably worth going with the 230 series to me.

I mentioned a few issues with the boat above; the first was that the boat was left "in the woods" so the covers were destroyed and discarded. There are zero issues with the hull or any staining or anything, though the trailer did have some evidence of being under the trees on one of the fenders. It had an aftermarket cover but it was a pain in the ass to put on as it required tying to the trailer so I bought a used Yamaha shipping cover. That works well but it doesn't seem to breathe as well as I'd like so I may just have to spring for the ridiculous $550 mooring cover. Since I boat in brackish water, I wash and spray the whole thing down completely inside and out when I get back home so it's soaking wet. The shipping cover is vented, but I still find that it's wet inside even after a few days of being covered. This cover may have to be delegated for off season or long term storage use. I guess it's possible that this would happen with the mooring cover too but I just don't want to end up with moisture issues.

The bimini cover was also ruined and discarded, which is a shame because he had an extended one that is apparently an option and covers the whole back of the boat. This was not a big deal for me as none of my family gets sunburned easily so I will get a replacement when I run across a decent price.

The carpet was a bit stained on one side but I wasn't really planning on using that anyway with this brackish water we boat in. Seems like another thing to clean. I think the stains may come out but I didn't even bother and put it in the basement. Most of it looks brand new and there is just some staining on the one side. I was expecting it to be much worse when he told me the covers had been ruined and the carpet was stored in the boat as well.

The final issue was that the depth finder wasn't working but I didn't determine this until the sea trial. It has an aftermarket Humminbird unit in it but he didn't install the transducer when he found out that the hull had to be drilled. He lost the transducer so it only works as a GPS/Navigation/Speedo unit for now, and I haven't really used that yet but it is a nicer unit than I would have probably bought anyway. Also as soon as I got the boat home I looked behind the dash and found that the stock depth finder was simply disconnected and was able to fix that in 2 minutes.

I've also changed the oil in both motors and replaced the plastic scupper valve with a stainless steel one. I do need some guides for the trailer but other than that, it came with everything needed to go out on the water--life jackets, fire extinguisher, anchor, etc.

All in all I think it was an excellent purchase and I'm really happy with it. Thanks again for all the assistance.

jdonalds

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
We've had a great time so far with this boat. I get compliments every time I have it out and whenever I show people pictures. I'm definitely glad I listened to everyone here and went with the bigger boat. I don't think a single person said go with the 210.
Even those like me, who have a 210, gave advice to get the larger boat. Glad you made that choice. And the complements are pretty standard for the Yamaha line. Other than just a great looking boat, which many boats are, the jet boats lack the huge engine cover, lack the large I/O unit, and provide for a generous swim platform, which I believe are what draws the complements.

Congrats on the third child on the way.

I was surprised at the amount of power required to put the boat on plane but I am glad I have the extra power as I just got a wakeboard and I'm sure will be pulling tubes soon.
I too was surprised the first few times I took off from a standing start. It's just an artifact of the two small jets vs a large prop. It takes a lot more RPMs to get the pumps up to a more efficient rate where the power band is. You'll get used to it. If I want to make fast plane starts I will quickly bring the throttles up to 100% than back off as the boat comes on plane. But then again these boats have such little bow rise that coming up on plane quickly isn't that big of a deal. I can always see straight ahead.

The bimini cover was also ruined and discarded, which is a shame because he had an extended one that is apparently an option and covers the whole back of the boat. This was not a big deal for me as none of my family gets sunburned easily so I will get a replacement when I run across a decent price.
We have a Bimini extension for our stock Bimini but it doesn't fully cover the back of the boat. We rarely use it. You might consider some of the swim deck umbrella shades some people have used. Do a search.

I've also changed the oil in both motors and replaced the plastic scupper valve with a stainless steel one. I do need some guides for the trailer but other than that, it came with everything needed to go out on the water--life jackets, fire extinguisher, anchor, etc.

All in all I think it was an excellent purchase and I'm really happy with it. Thanks again for all the assistance.
Good job being on top of the maintenance items, especially the scupper.

Last edited:

Boat Crazy

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Congratulations on your expected newborn. I am sure your children will remember their boating experiences the rest of their life. That is what boating is all about.

Yamborghini

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
NA
Not to be paranoid but I'd get a carbon monoxide monitor for the head unit. I don't remember who's story it was, but the guy mentioned his boat was nearly swamped in a bad storm. His wife went to the head compartment to weather the storm and near got carbon monoxide poisoning.

Maybe that's overly paranoid, but that story creeped me out.

captainhook

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited
Boat Length
Even those like me, who have a 210, gave advice to get the larger boat. Glad you made that choice. And the complements are pretty standard for the Yamaha line. Other than just a great looking boat, which many boats are, the jet boats lack the huge engine cover, lack the large I/O unit, and provide for a generous swim platform, which I believe are what draws the complements.

Congrats on the third child on the way.

I too was surprised the first few times I took off from a standing start. It's just an artifact of the two small jets vs a large prop. It takes a lot more RPMs to get the pumps up to a more efficient rate where the power band is. You'll get used to it. If I want to make fast plane starts I will quickly bring the throttles up to 100% than back off as the boat comes on plane. But then again these boats have such little bow rise that coming up on plane quickly isn't that big of a deal. I can always see straight ahead.

We have a Bimini extension for our stock Bimini but it doesn't fully cover the back of the boat. We rarely use it. You might consider some of the swim deck umbrella shades some people have used. Do a search.

Good job being on top of the maintenance items, especially the scupper.
Thanks @jdonalds

Those that had the 210 and still suggested the 230 were given extra consideration. I do recall that you mentioned that and real-world experience really sealed the deal.

The swim platform was a huge selling feature for me with small children. As a kid I always remember kicking the prop or outdrive on my dad's I/O boats and him constantly worrying about us jumping on it. A lot of those boats it seems that the swim platform is an afterthought and just bolted on, whereas in the Yamahas it is a prominent consideration during the design. As I suspected, this is where we spend most of our time on the boat.