• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Used SX210 Pricing aka Captain Hook's quest for the Jolly Roger

captainhook

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited
Boat Length
Hello, first post. I'm a perspective Yamaha owner and I'm curious about pricing. I know Nadaguides has some book values but used prices are basically all over the map so I'm having a bit of a hard time. I've seen used SX210s from $18.5k all the way to $27k. I understand the boat was around $30k new so I can't imagine a 6 year old used one is worth $27k, but who knows?

I'm curious as to what everyone values a 2008 SX210 with 91 hours. I would call it "good condition". I have not seen it run yet but evidently it's been maintained by the marina. It has been run in "brackish water" (that's a river that meets with an ocean for us fresh water guys--sure seems like salt to me, but what do I know) and I have not seen the trailer yet either (not sure if it's painted or galvanized). The only upgrade I can see is Cobra Jet fins.

Thanks in advance.

jdonalds

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I bought my 2006 SX210 for $20K in 2009. It had something like 50-60 hours on the engines and was in very good condition. It also included a wake board, pair of skis, and the necessary anchors, dock lines, and fenders. Everything worked. So in my opinion any 2006 SX210 should be priced under $20K today.

I relied on a wide variety of sources for pricing; craigslist, ebay, several used boat sites, and marine shops that sell used boats. What I found was SX210s of that age were not selling in the $28K and above range. Those in the 24-28K range sold but slowly. Those priced in the $22K range were moving quickly. Those under $18K had issues, damage or someting that would kick it off my list. So I set my sites on anything $22K and under in good condition.

My seller advertised at $22K on craigslist. We exchanged quite a few emails and the boat sounded good to me. He was firm at $22K. I assured him he would get his price and thanked him for the interaction. I said my max was $20K and I would keep looking. I did assure him that I had cash for the purchase, then ceased communications with him. Within a week he came back agreeing to my $20K price. This, of course, was in the middle of the recession. The guy had to pay college costs for his kids. The lure of cash was too much for him to ignore.

If your 2008 SX210 is in good condition I would think something around $20K would again be my target. The 91 hours is nothing. These engines are quite reliable and should last 1,000 or more hours on average without rebuilding.

OCMD

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I picked up a perfect 2008 SX230 last year for 23,900 off a fellow board member. It had 26 hours on the motors. This boat was bought new in 2011, and is under warranty until 2015. I would add "no more than" $20K to JDon's statement.

itsdgm

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
@captainhook welcome aboard. I agree with @jdonalds pricing range. A lot depends on location too. Some areas have more supply than demand and vice versa. These boats have held their value well over the years especially since the new models pricing has consistently been rising. So there's been less depreciation recently since the gap in pricing on a new one has been getting larger.

Anyway, good luck with your search.

jawsf16

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Sold my well cared for, low hours, highly modded 08 sx210 for 24k in July 2012. Should be close to 20k now I think. High 20s could get you a newer and or bigger boat than that. Where are you located? My dad's 08 232 limited will be for sale soon. Lots more boat than a 210 and will probably be priced in high 20s ballpark.

captainhook

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited
Boat Length
Thanks for all the great responses. That is exactly what I was looking for in terms of feedback. I am in Maryland. As I'm sure everyone is aware, these boats are not exactly extremely common (at least in my area) and the used market reflects that.

It seems that many have paid $17k-$20k on 2006-2007 models over the past few years based on my research of yamahajetboaters forums, but as above, a lot of these seem to be during the recession. Prices are up since that time it seems, probably because of the economy and because the prices of new boats are up, as mentioned above.

Those that I have found in the $18k-$19k range are 2005-2006 model years typically, even though they often have similar hours.

The asking price is $19.9k and I initially offered $18k, hoping to settle in the middle but he countered with $19.4k. I have not seen the boat run yet and have a few more things to check out (impellers, clean out plugs, oil, YDS on the way to verify hours and warnings). The boat was a bit dirty from sitting this season due to non-use and I noticed that the handles for the hatches all seemed to have corrosion which hopefully doesn't indicate that the boat was not washed with fresh water after each use. I am also a bit biased because I also looked at an extremely clean and freshly detailed AR230HO at the same marina (but he wants $28.9k--seems way too high to me) which had zero corrosion on the handles (though one of the seat backs was sun damaged). My wife had a ton of good points in why to buy the SX210 over the AR230HO but the cleanliness and extra 100HP is really calling my name. Unfortunately, I don't think that these are worth an extra 50% premium for a guy with two small kids and a supercharged SeaDoo in the garage.

OCMD

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Keep in mind the person who took care of his boat cosmetically in all likelihood took care of it mechanically. If there is corrosion that crosses it off my list. Adios - dude didn't care for the boat. My 2001 LS2000 looked showroom when I sold it 12 years later, and it did have alot of salt water use in it. Showroom condition is why it sold so quickly. The LS was washed and flushed and sprayed with Salt Away after every single outing, and kept in a garage. No corrosion anywhere. If you are in MD, I would give a serious look to that beautiful blue 2007 SX230 at Bayside Jet Drive in Berlin. One - those guys won't sell you garbage. In fact, before it goes out they will be replacing the hubs on the galvanized trailer. Not sure if they changed the cables but on other ones they have sold, they have. They also maintained the boat for the local owner, who traded it in for a 240. This small dealer is honest; I have dealt with them since before they became a Yamaha dealer maybe 2 years ago. The price was 23K but knowing these guys, if it is still there? I bet it's your for 21, maybe even 20. When I was down there last week getting a horn replaced under warranty, one of the guys told me it would probably sit, because everyone down there is buying new. I'd give this one a look. If you pm me I will send you some photos I took for another friend who is has been shopping for a 230.

By the way, they will give you a complete history on the maintenance and hours. For the price range you are considering, you will be obtaining a ton more power on the 230 than a 210. Here is a video of my first day out last year, with my 2008 230. No difference from a 2007, so do not sweat the year of production if the boat is the right price. As others will chime in, when you are this close, go with the extra power.

Bruce

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
We are in the boating season so prices are up. I would expect to pay the most for a boat in June and July and the least in December and the first half of April.

You could save money by waiting to buy but you would loose the enjoyment of this boating season.

Buying a boat that was poorly maintained will lower the purchase price but may increase the cost of ownership enough that it costs you more in the long run.

Buying a boat with the accessories you want already installed will likely save you money.

captainhook

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited
Boat Length
Keep in mind the person who took care of his boat cosmetically in all likelihood took care of it mechanically. If there is corrosion that crosses it off my list. Adios - dude didn't care for the boat. My 2001 LS2000 looked showroom when I sold it 12 years later, and it did have alot of salt water use in it. Showroom condition is why it sold so quickly. The LS was washed and flushed and sprayed with Salt Away after every single outing, and kept in a garage. No corrosion anywhere. If you are in MD, I would give a serious look to that beautiful blue 2007 SX230 at Bayside Jet Drive in Berlin. One - those guys won't sell you garbage. In fact, before it goes out they will be replacing the hubs on the galvanized trailer. Not sure if they changed the cables but on other ones they have sold, they have. They also maintained the boat for the local owner, who traded it in for a 240. This small dealer is honest; I have dealt with them since before they became a Yamaha dealer maybe 2 years ago. The price was 23K but knowing these guys, if it is still there? I bet it's your for 21, maybe even 20. When I was down there last week getting a horn replaced under warranty, one of the guys told me it would probably sit, because everyone down there is buying new. I'd give this one a look. If you pm me I will send you some photos I took for another friend who is has been shopping for a 230.

By the way, they will give you a complete history on the maintenance and hours. For the price range you are considering, you will be obtaining a ton more power on the 230 than a 210. Here is a video of my first day out last year, with my 2008 230. No difference from a 2007, so do not sweat the year of production if the boat is the right price. As others will chime in, when you are this close, go with the extra power.

All good points, thanks. I didn't know about Bayside Jet Drive, thanks. I do see a 2006 SX230 on their site listed for $19.6k. It doesn't appear that they put much of a listing online though since it is just a picture and a price, no other details but I will PM you, thanks for the offer! I wonder if they would go even lower? I was a little hesitant to spend ~$20k on a 6 year old boat, now this is an 8 year old boat. I think I would actually prefer the 23' model as the AR230HO I was looking at seemed a fair bit bigger and would be nice for trips in the Chesapeake Bay (I think, maybe it's still too small?). Any idea on the hours? I've always been hesitant on Eastern Shore stuff cuz it's likely been in pretty salty water, but I guess that isn't much different than the "brackish" nonsense we're dealing with on this side of the Bay. PM inbound.

captainhook

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited
Boat Length
We are in the boating season so prices are up. I would expect to pay the most for a boat in June and July and the least in December and the first half of April.

You could save money by waiting to buy but you would loose the enjoyment of this boating season.

Buying a boat that was poorly maintained will lower the purchase price but may increase the cost of ownership enough that it costs you more in the long run.

Buying a boat with the accessories you want already installed will likely save you money.
I agree 100%, TERRRIBLE idea to be trying to buy a used boat now, but I've got the bug and it's not going to go away. Further, I have a wife who wants a boat, now. Funny thing is I started looking for a jet boat for $6-8k, maybe a small SeaDoo. I mention this to her and now our budget is $20k. I'm not complaining!

itsdgm

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I agree 100%, TERRRIBLE idea to be trying to buy a used boat now, but I've got the bug and it's not going to go away. Further, I have a wife who wants a boat, now. Funny thing is I started looking for a jet boat for $6-8k, maybe a small SeaDoo. I mention this to her and now our budget is $20k. I'm not complaining!
Buy ASAP. Before she changes her mind. ;) that's what I did back in 08. She mentioned getting a newer boat and I made it happen as soon as I could find the right one.

captainhook

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited
Boat Length
@OCMD I watched your video and realized it was one of the first I watched on these boats. I'm not sure if I found it on YouTube or in a thread where you posted it but either way, I wish I was on one right now! Thanks.

jdonalds

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
The trick with salt water is good cleanup.

I agree with OCMD. If the boat is in very good condition they likely took good care of the engines too.

I sold my 9 year old Honda ski with 400 hours, 250 on salt water. You'd never know the ski had been in salt water. Often my cleanup time was longer than my ride time.

I'd go with the 230.

captainhook

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited
Boat Length
OCMD was nice enough to send me the pictures he took of the SX230 at the dealer (about 130ish miles from me). It may come down to splitting hairs at this point. Both boats have their pros and cons.

Any feedback on trailering a 230 versus a 210? My truck can surely handle either but I'm not sure about the driver yet. This boat will be trailered primarily, at least for now.

I need to call the dealer to see the number of hours on the 230 so that may help my decision.

Bruce

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
You will never be able to buy this summer back. If you are ready to buy the summer pricing should not stop you.

OCMD

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Go with more power. Trailering is trailering. Buy it next weekend; I will be down there all week and am happy to take you on a spin to show you the ropes.

jawsf16

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Buy the 230. I upgraded from the 210 and know at least four others who have done the same...

captainhook

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited
Boat Length
Go with more power. Trailering is trailering. Buy it next weekend; I will be down there all week and am happy to take you on a spin to show you the ropes.
Thanks, I may take you up on that!

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length