• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Used SX210 Pricing aka Captain Hook's quest for the Jolly Roger

captainhook

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited
Boat Length
I spoke with the owner of the dealer (Eric) on the SX230HO (it is in fact a "high output" version) today. He seemed like a great guy and both he and DJ (who I spoke to first) were very nice and knowledgeable. He said the boat needed nothing when it was traded and that's extremely rare. The previous owner apparently also used it a lot in Georgia in a freshwater lake so a lot of the 230ish hours are from there. Both Eric and DJ rated this boat as "Excellent condition"--Eric rated it a "9.5/10 for the year" and said that he was taking it out on demos for the last three weeks and had his own family out on it last weekend and everything is perfect. They also give a 90 day bumper to bumper warranty that covers everything for free and will MD inspect the trailer. They are asking $23k and I asked his best price since we're a couple hours apart and I didn't want to waste his or my time. His best price is $21k (he said no to $20k). I guess I have some thinking to do. The extra couple thousand isn't going to break me, but I do have to draw the line somewhere on a boat that has more hours than I was hoping.

jdonalds

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Jump on that deal. 230 hours is nothing.

steined

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Personally, I wouldn't be afraid of the 230 hours. But that's just been my experience. I already have 95 hours on my 2013 and I bought it this time last year!!! No issues at all so far with the exception of a falling throttle which is common and minor and something hopefully addressed at the end of this season by my dealer.

OCMD

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Jump on it. I'd give a credit card deposit. 230 hours is nothing on these boats. I saw it personally, and it is sweet. I'll even be down there Saturday or Sunday for a week and will be happy to go out with you on your "shakedown" cruise. The price is right. The bonus is I have known these guys since my 2 stroke LS days when they were just a shop. Honest, hardworking guys who go the distance for you. DJ is a superb mechanic; Eric is a very customer oriented owner, and it says alot when he has his mom and dad both working at the dealership. Truly, they don't act like a dealership in any way, shape or form. No red tape, and down to earth. When I visit, I just walk into the back and start b.s.ing with DJ. In fact, over the winter they replaced my light pole connection under warranty. I was out at night last week and stopped by the next day to bitch that he fixed my pole light but didn't check the red/green running light. DJ got into the boat, hit the three way switch up, and said "What are you talking about?" The running lights turned on. Moronic me didn't know it was a three way switch! Rather than call me a fool, DJ just had a good laugh with me. When I couldn't stick around after winterization last winter, DJ said he'd drop my boat at my beach house a few miles away for me, since I wouldn't be around. It's a good "dealership" to have in your back yard. My bet? You will regret if you don't jump on this boat. I'd call and give a credit card deposit so it doesn't get away. At 21K in this shape? Try and find something better. You won't.

4x15mph

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I was thinking of jumping on this just because @OCMD thinks it is nice. I will hold off since I don't want a new boat and I really like my current LS... for now. Someday it will turn into something different since that is what we do.

Good luck @captainhook

captainhook

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited
Boat Length
Sorry guys, I have a bunch of "oars in the water" at this point.

My wife is leery of the hours on the SX230 and I can't help but compare this to cars; it's like I'm looking at a vehicle with 20k miles or one with 75k miles. I know this is an apples to oranges comparison, but the fact remains that I have wanted something under 100 hours.

Here are the options so far:

1. 2008 SX210 with 91 hours, in "good condition" (my description). Local. $19.4k. <---------- Wife's choice
2. 2008 AR230HO, unknown hours but estimated at 100ish, in "excellent condition" (except for one seat back). Local. Asking $28.9k. <---------My choice and I just offered $22k, waiting on response
3. 2007 SX230HO with 230 hours, in "mint condition", 150 miles away, $21k.
4. 2006 SX210 with 92 hours, in "mint condition", 90 miles away, $17.9k.
5. 2008 232 limited with "20 hours" (estimated), even more local, $25k.

captainhook

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited
Boat Length
...and response received on number 2. Countered at $26.5k. Too high for me so that's out.

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
#3 or #5 is my vote. 230 hours is the equivilant of ~8000 miles. Would you hover on a decision between a car with 8000 miles or one with 800 miles? Both are "demo" cars in my book. And of course I'd beat the snot out of the guy selling the one with 8000 miles and tell him I can get one with 800 for, a year newer, top of the line model (all the options) for $22-23K....(which makes me think #5 is probably the best deal unless #3 drops to 20k-and assuming you can get #5 down to 23K)

captainhook

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited
Boat Length
#5 has a payoff and can't (or won't) go any lower. I tried. ;)

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Not sure how much of a hurry you are in....but in a few months (depending on his loan length) he'll have more room! ;) (and always give them your phone #....as someone told me....they may have 2nd thoughts)

captainhook

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited
Boat Length
Good idea but I don't think he'll be low enough by the time I buy and we're ready NOW. If he is 5 years in (said he bought it in 2009) and still owes $25k? Maybe he has a 15 year loan (WOW!) as they are advertising now. I just looked up an ammortization table based on 15 years and 3% (which they are advertising now) and it is around $28k principal balance if he financed $40k. Looks like each payment reduces principal by only $200 so I will be waiting for a long time to get to $22k. ;)

jdonalds

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Think of it this way. If the engines are good for 1,000 hours (and I think they are good for many more) you have 750 hours left. At 50 hours per year you have 15 years until you have to do some engine work.

Boat engines take less abuse than car engines. Yamaha engines have a really good reliability history.

captainhook

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited
Boat Length
That's true, and I said that to my wife. She brought up the point that the rest of the boat has 230 hours on it, too. And here I am complaining about the condition of one with 91 hours. :D

jdonalds

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Well you do have to please the wife...

OCMD

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
The 07 is as nice as my 08. As far as piling up hours on these boats, it really takes alot more than you think to increase the hours. I thought I ran the heck out of mine last summer. We were out on it every week, and only added about 35 hours to it for the whole summer. Hours add up slowly on these bulletproof engines.

As for the 2008's "estimate" of hours, do not believe anyone one way or the other, until you obtain the actual number on a computer read of the engines. I bought my 08 last year with an estimate of 50 hours on it. I didn't inspect the boat personally, just had a friend who lived local to the boat in NC stop by and take a look. The friend knew nothing about boats but said cosmetically it was a 12 out of 10. Based upon my conversations with the owner (board member on the other board) I fed-exed a check for full price that day. Only problem was he lied about the hours. When I pulled the info, it had only 26 hours on it. I would have bought it with 300 hours on it, as it was that well cared for and still is. Point being, Captain, you are comparing apples to oranges. Julian had the accurate analysis. However, you have to do what the boss says, many of us understand that. But if 20K give or take a grand is the range, you will hit a grand slam on the one at Bayside. I'd still walk in with 20K cash in a brief case and see what they say. The price is probably the best in the east at the moment, considering the A plus condition. It certainly is much less expensive when compared to the "asking" prices on boat trader for a similar year.

http://www.boattrader.com/browse/make/yamaha/sx230

oodle

http://boats.oodle.com/yamaha-sx/for-sale/length_23/

Keep looking. When one hits, you have to jump. It took me about 8 months of searching for the SX I wanted and when I saw it? End game.

That's why I'd still consider # 3 above. As many have advised, this is one heck of a deal for this particular boat. The hours are nothing on these engines. It might be awhile before another one pops up in the area, as nice as this one is for this price.

Tell your wife the boat itself may have 230 hours on the hull, but it was taken care of so this means nothing. As evidence? Here is a photo of my 2001 LS2000, 12 years old, the week I sold it last summer. This boat had hundreds of hours on it, and a blown engine to boot in 2006 (good old oil line failure we knew nothing about way back when.....) So the actual chronological age means nothing, if the boat was cared for.

boat 1.jpg boat 1.jpg

As example, remember the 210 you asked about in your first post? You said it was dirty and had corrosion from lack of use. Wrong. It was dirty and corroded (AND HAD "ONLY" 90 HOURS ON IT!) because the owner didn't give a crap about taking care of his baby. That LS above? 12 years old. No corrosion anywhere and extensive salt water use. (and a second starboard engine in 2006 due to an oil line failure back in 2006 which we didn't know about back then!)

Point is, when you see the right boat, it smacks you in the face. That blue 230 is in pristine condition as far as the "boat" is concerned. This, in my book, is a reflection of the care the owner placed into the entire package. Hell, he only got rid of it to upgrade to an even better Yamaha. At 21K, I am boating this Sunday. I'd advise the wife to think long and hard about passing this deal up.

Good luck with the direction you take. Keep us posted as we share in your adventure. We've all been there and (at least for me) it was nerve wracking to say the least. And that's coming from a guy who has money to burn - part of this reason is because I choose wisely!

Last edited:

steined

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
My vote is also #3. The extra length alone is worth the difference. The hours are nothing.

captainhook

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited
Boat Length
Thanks guys. I did just receive pictures of the 2006 SX210 that has 92 hours and is $17.9k. Based on the pictures, it is definitely in excellent condition. I would imagine I can knock that one down a few bucks and I believe it may have been used on fresh water only. I will find out a few more details with his next response.

I think my biggest problem is I have not found one yet that I feel like, "okay, this has to be mine" yet. The AR230HO was extremely close though. I have seen several that I've loved but had much higher prices (high 20s to 30s). I know that OCMD is really vouching for this SX230 and the dealer seemed top notch based on my interactions with him and I really appreciate that. Also OCMD has done a fantastic job convincing me that he is as picky as I am. That, along with everyone in the entire thread saying that this is the best bet, sure make it seem like the obvious choice, but I am still hesitant for some reason. I probably just need to make the trip over there with my suitcase, though I did get the feeling that $21k +ttl was really going to be their best price. $20k OTD it is probably a no-brainer but I just didn't get the feeling they would go that low. An extra couple thousand won't break me, but a couple thousand bucks is a couple thousand bucks.