• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Used SX210 Pricing aka Captain Hook's quest for the Jolly Roger

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length

OCMD

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
And the power of the 230 in comparison to a 210 will make you scream when you don't have it. If you get the 210, it's a great boat also but make sure you don't hop into a 230 and take a spin. You will end up with 230 envy for sure. The power difference is that great. By the way, Captain, they had a sweet 212S at Bayside a few years ago a little before I started looking. They wanted 27K (I forgot the year, it was another trade) and Liz (Eric's mom) told me months later they let it go for 23 when they told originally me they couldn't budge off the asking price at all. You just never know until you try.

That Julian is a funny guy! Buy it and they will have you spending money on useless items such as fins!

Yamborghini

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
NA
I just hope I get this much advice as you have captain. Your situation sounds similar to what I will be dealing with.

I'd get some info off of that limited though!!!

I'm hoping an early Christmas 212x finds its way to a search engine near me

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length

captainhook

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited
Boat Length
And the power of the 230 in comparison to a 210 will make you scream when you don't have it. If you get the 210, it's a great boat also but make sure you don't hop into a 230 and take a spin. You will end up with 230 envy for sure. The power difference is that great. By the way, Captain, they had a sweet 212S at Bayside a few years ago a little before I started looking. They wanted 27K (I forgot the year, it was another trade) and Liz (Eric's mom) told me months later they let it go for 23 when they told originally me they couldn't budge off the asking price at all. You just never know until you try.

That Julian is a funny guy! Buy it and they will have you spending money on useless items such as fins!
Yeah I kind of figured that; I was thinking maybe I'd try to find a 210 to see if power was sufficient and then just keep my ass off of a 230. If I buy a 210, I will just keep my SeaDoo [and probably never use it, but let's discount that for now]. I have a 1 year old and a 4 year old, so I won't be attempting to break any speed records anyway. That said, if I buy what I want now, I won't have to upgrade in 3-5+ years when I want to go faster. That may happen anyway though, so you could make the case in this situation for the 210 (i.e. I'm gonna upgrade anyway).

That's good to know about the 212S at Bayside, they just may not be ready to move too much on the 230 yet. I think Eric told me they got it about 3 weeks ago. I'm just not too keen on driving 5+ hours on a Saturday and coming home without anything. When I buy cars I am never afraid to walk and expect that I will do so at least once, if not twice. Not so easy here with the distance involved.

captainhook

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited
Boat Length
I just hope I get this much advice as you have captain. Your situation sounds similar to what I will be dealing with.

I'd get some info off of that limited though!!!

I'm hoping an early Christmas 212x finds its way to a search engine near me
Yeah I'm very glad I stumbled upon this forum.

txav8r

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
4 pages and I missed out welcoming @captainhook aboard...and getting to throw my own version at you! I heard you say 3 pages ago, that the 210 was sportier. Or maybe the wife said it. In terms of sporty, a paint job (gelcoat) can look great and not even run! But what the guys have been trying to tell you is that the sport part is in the throttles. These are great boats, no doubt, and so is the 210. But what really makes these boats is the get up and go. And the 210 doesn't have that compared to the 230 or 212. the 212 has the 230 engines in the 210 body. If you want the sporty 210 size and styling, get a 212SS or 212X...those are the High Output 320HP boats in the 210 hull. I agree with you that while the engines will go 4 times or more as long as the hours on that 230, but you have to be happy too. One thing I haven't read, is what you get in a trailer if you buy a painted trailer someone has dunked in the salt. It won't last at all if that has happened, so make sure it is rust free for the most part...otherwise, galvanized only and even then, you will see rust if it isn't freshwater. And on an '05 to '08 boat, your going to see some if they haven't touched it up and maintained it well. Anyway, good luck on the search and sorry I missed your first 24 posts without welcoming you aboard!

captainhook

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited
Boat Length
Thanks for the advice. In all fairness I think my wife and I both agreed that the AR230HO we looked at was the sportiest so that covers all bases! Unfortunately the broker told me to pound sand with my offer and I'm less than 50/50 that he actually even presented it to the seller but that's water under the bridge I guess. I'm just glad I added a contingency in his contract that my offer expired at the end of July 10th so I'm not sitting here waiting!

My wife kind of threw me for a loop too when we looked at the AR230HO and she looks at me and says, "Well, if I were to imagine a boat that would be 'Aaron's boat', this most certainly is it." Ever since then I have been a bit let down by other things I've seen, if I'm being honest. Then I get on here and you guys are pushing me towards the bigger and faster boats (and rightfully so) which really puts a damper on the SX210 that was the subject of this thread.

We haven't driven or even been on any Yamaha jet boats so I don't even know what the performance is like on them at all. My SeaDoo RXT will run mid to low 60s, so I don't really know how it will compare at all.

Thanks for the advice on the trailer, I am verifying that all boats include galvanized trailers. I haven't seen one with a painted trailer within the 250 miles that I've been looking so I don't think they're common around here. A dealer also told me that they don't even bother with painted trailers and won't even buy them at all, but he is closer to the ocean as well.

I've been going through a few older threads that discuss price (April and earlier) and I see just how stupid I am for trying to buy now. Looks like I may have been in AR and 230 territory with the same money as SX210s are now. Sure wish I would've started this process three months ago. Concern now is all that's left are the high priced or lower condition inventory (or both!) and things may just get worse as fall and winter approach. Next April seems like an eternity away though.

Last edited:

Boat Crazy

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Be patient and keep looking and it will come. On the bright side, you may already have a name for this boat "Aarons boat".

txav8r

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
Don't let us push you into what you don't want! If an AR230 was the boat, then an SX210 won't meet with your approval either however. I kind of hate when I take part in suggesting that the 210 is underpowered because there are plenty of them out there, as well as 190's, and they are all going to be in that same acceleration and top cruise speed arena. If your used to low 60's, none of these are going to light your fire. The 210 is a high 30's to low 40's boat, the 230, depending on year, is a mid to upper 40's boat, and the 212's are around 50. The 240 tops 50 and the newer 212's with the 1.8L motors do 55ish. These are BIG boats compared to the seadoo and early Yamahas that were equally fast. But those boats were small and didn't weigh anything. Some of these boats hold 10 to 11 folks and weigh almost 4000 pounds empty! So they are different animals. Agree with @Boat Crazy , just keep looking, you will find your treasure!

captainhook

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited
Boat Length
I appreciate all the suggestions and feedback either way. On one hand I don't know that my family will have any less fun on a 210 as I won't be attempting to break and speed records with two small children. I do however, like to cruise around 30ish with my SeaDoo. It isn't often that I exceed that speed unless I am by myself so that encompasses almost never in a boat.

That's what makes this hard; I know we will have a blast on any of these boats. I just worry about being stuck wondering "What if?"

I think I will be fully satisfied with a 230HO, but the fact remains that my favorite look includes a tower.

Yamborghini

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
NA
You sound like you may be bummed a bit. Is anyone near you that might have an are 230 or a 210sx? That way you can know what you truly want. I've gotten 2 offers from people here to test ride. I just haven't gotten around to it. If it turns out the 230-240 might be what ya want, just save for a Christmas present.

I know it doesn't fix the "must boat now" but it seems through my reading that there ismore boat for less come Christmas time. Also if you snag a late season boat you also get the benefit of winterizing yourself.

Last edited:

OCMD

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Mel flies jets for a living so he has a tough time on water gauging our slow boat speeds. My 230 runs at 50 easy (but no more), "not mid to upper 40s." Then again, I run on a glass river. Mel is usually spot on with his sage words - you will find one. Be patient. Even though that low priced sweet blue 2007 is calling your name from the showroom in which it sits!

captainhook

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited
Boat Length
Yeah, I am bummed. Searches go like this most of the time for me but this time I am rapidly running out of summer. I am actually afraid of getting into a 230 at this point in case I end up with a 210. :D

txav8r

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
You can also add a tower to any of these boats! And there are some better towers out there that collapse and store much easier than the stock AR tower of those year models. Just a consideration. @OCMD , Tom, you have an exceptional 230. Most won't do 50, and I was averaging, and not considering anything read on the dreamometer. It may be due to load or accessories installed. Even my new 240, that ran 53 in the first month of ownership only did 50 the last time out. Could have been wind/waves or even extra mods/accessories now, but I suspect the wind that day. What I was sharing was the fact that the 210 is going to be less, not a huge amount less, but less, and take longer to get to whatever speed it could make.

@captainhook , could you update your profile to include your location? It will add you to the member map automatically, and it will give us better info when we are trying to help or answer questions in the future. Many things about these boats in discussion, are based on how they are used. Such as your area in MD I think...but we will forget that in an hour and can look at your profile and see immediately and have an idea of how you use the boat based on your location. I am bringing that up, because MD implies a salt environment, or could, sea level conditions, and NE location that implies your need for different considerations for storage and winterization. Although winterization is simple in these boats and pretty much the same from north to south. I just wanted to point out that the 210 and 190 are also elevation challenged more than the 212/230/232/240/242. Many have reported only mid 30's on them as a top speed, and that it took what seemed all day to reach it, some have even reported on Lake Tahoe, that they could not get the boat to plane out when loaded. Some of these issues are due to need of annual service, others are just load, but all are subjective and will affect all boats. What all these guys are telling you, especially the previous or current 210 owners, is that at times, they wish they had more power. Most of the HO engine owners would tell you that while they might like a "go fast" boat or to go faster, that their boats have plenty of power for what they are. But even with that, many guys even with HO's would love to get 5 more mph out of them, just a guy thing there, maybe a gal thing too!

Regardless, glad you have found some help in your search here, and we will look forward to seeing you find the fruits of your labor! Pics and enjoyment posts will be appreciated too, along with your contributions that you make to the knowledge base! Like Randall said, someone in your geographic area may offer a ride and let you see how these boats act/react. Even the dealer may demo a boat, especially a new one. Good luck on the search and don't be afraid of a 210, you can always upgrade later! Were good at helping guys upgrade or mod their boats! lol

BoaterGuy

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
Yeah, I am bummed. Searches go like this most of the time for me but this time I am rapidly running out of summer. I am actually afraid of getting into a 230 at this point in case I end up with a 210. :D
I think your decision would be easier made when you test drive them. Dont deprive yourself of one for fear that it may change your mind. I would definitely test drive both before you make your decision. Ignorance is not bliss when it comes to making large financial decisions...

captainhook

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited
Boat Length
Thanks, I have looked into adding a tower to a boat that didn't come with one. There are some really nice ones out there, but they are $1500+ it seems. That could always be a consideration to keep in mind, of course.

I have updated my location in my profile. I don't think elevation will be an issue for me at any point in my ownership. I am certainly with everyone there; more is always better and faster is always necessary.

BoaterGuy

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
Thanks, I have looked into adding a tower to a boat that didn't come with one. There are some really nice ones out there, but they are $1500+ it seems. That could always be a consideration to keep in mind, of course.

I have updated my location in my profile. I don't think elevation will be an issue for me at any point in my ownership. I am certainly with everyone there; more is always better and faster is always necessary.
Im in Baltimore, if you want a ride on a 242 let me know.... Beacon light marina (dealer) is 1/4 mile down the street from my marina if you want to drive some different ones. They have an AR210 and at least AR240/242 Limited on the water.

captainhook

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited
Boat Length
Im in Baltimore, if you want a ride on a 242 let me know.... Beacon light marina (dealer) is 1/4 mile down the street from my marina if you want to drive some different ones. They have an AR210 and at least AR240/242 Limited on the water.
Thanks for the offer. I have my eye on a 230 they have at Beacon Light. Any idea how long they've had it? I want to throw out an offer; I was thinking of doing it tomorrow, actually.