• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter
  • Announcing the 2024 Jetboat Pilot 10th Annual Marine Mat Group Buy for JetBoaters.net members only! This is your best time to buy Marine Mat from JetboatPilot - you won't get a better price - 30% Off! Use Coupon Code JETBOATERS.NET at checkout.

So if you are tired of stepping on really hot snaps/carpet, or tired of that musty carpet smell - Marine Mat is the best alternative out there! Get in on this now, or pay more later!

You only have until September 30th to get in on this.....So Hurry!

You can dismiss this notice by clicking on the "X" in the upper right corner>>>>>>>>

using a cartridge of 3M 4200

jjwelly

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
So I feel a little dumb with this question, but I bought a cartridge of 3M black 4200 to seal a hole in the hull where my transducer will pass thru. I pretty much only need like a 1/2 ounce, but, sadly, 3M does not sell tubes of black 4200. The cartridge showed up today, and it's a metal tube that opens up like grease cartridges, not like a tube of caulk or silicone that I'm used to. So I'm completely puzzled as to what I am supposed to use to push the sealant out the tube. Also frustrated that the tube will surely be wasted/non usable in a couple of days once opened. Can someone who has experience with these cartridges help me with using this? I was thinking I could just pop open the tube from the bottom, then just spoon it out since I don't need to make any beads or anything. Also thinking about just giving up on black, and using white since I have 4200 in the 3oz tube, but my boat is black everywhere I need to use the 4200. Thanks for any help..

EDIT: I know 3M sells black 5200 in a tube, which I also have, but didn't really want to use that for the application at hand..

Last edited:
4200 and 5200 is prone to curing. They seal both ends to prevent this. You still use a caulking gun.

As stated above, use a regular caulking gun. After use, put it in a zip lock bag in the freezer. It will last a long time in there. That is where I keep mine.

A600072C-082C-4B4F-B911-BBEA40B86B36.jpeg

I know your 10 oz. cartridge is bigger, but that will keep it from hardening. As you already know, they put black 5200 in a 3oz. tube, it's in there. I've had that black in there for 3 years and it is still good.

Last edited:
ok thank you. So when I pull the metal tab from the back of the cartridge, is there a plastic plug or similar that is behind that, that the caulk gun pushes on? I was thinking when I saw it, that the sealant is directly behind the metal tin, like grease guns. I wish they just made black 4200 in a tube like they make everything else, but maybe I can still keep it usable for a few times. Thank you all..

As stated above, use a regular caulking gun. After use, put it in a zip lock bag in the freezer. It will last a long time in there. That is where I keep mine.

View attachment 169490

I know your 10 oz. cartridge is bigger, but that will keep it from hardening. As you already know, they put black 5200 in a 3oz. tube, it's in there. I've had that black in there for 3 years and it is still good.
love this. "Hey honey, do we have any burritos?" "Yes, they are underneath the adhesives.."

ok thank you. So when I pull the metal tab from the back of the cartridge, is there a plastic plug or similar that is behind that, that the caulk gun pushes on? I was thinking when I saw it, that the sealant is directly behind the metal tin, like grease guns. I wish they just made black 4200 in a tube like they make everything else, but maybe I can still keep it usable for a few times. Thank you all..

There should be a disk seal inside to push against.

Back