• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Using Mooring Cover with Dock Lines

kgower

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
222SE
Boat Length
I know you can zip open the cleat covers, is there any concern with the dock lines damaging/tearing the covers when tied up, or should the cover only be used when on a lift? First time leaving it the water, lots to learn.

No problem if you do it right. Tie up the boat, then install the cover. When you come to a cleat you're using for tie up, simply undo the tie, slip cover over the cleat, then retie. Helps if you use ropes with a loop on the vessel side, then you just slip through the middle, and off to the sides.

I just leave them un zipped. If you have a floating lift keep the lines on it even when it’s up. The one time I didn’t the valve didn’t seal correctly and it submerged leaving my boat floating out of the slip.

No problem if you do it right. Tie up the boat, then install the cover. When you come to a cleat you're using for tie up, simply undo the tie, slip cover over the cleat, then retie. Helps if you use ropes with a loop on the vessel side, then you just slip through the middle, and off to the sides.
I have the ropes crossed to clears on opposit sides. on the front and back.
Will put cover on.

I have the ropes crossed to clears on opposit sides. on the front and back.
Will put cover on.
Curious as to why you cross the ropes? Wouldn't it be the same if you just went to the nearest post from the cleat rather than crossing?

I just leave them un zipped. If you have a floating lift keep the lines on it even when it’s up. The one time I didn’t the valve didn’t seal correctly and it submerged leaving my boat floating out of the slip.
What kind of lift do you have?

Curious as to why you cross the ropes? Wouldn't it be the same if you just went to the nearest post from the cleat rather than crossing?
Again this is my first time, but it's my understanding that it aids with changes of the tide when moored to a fixed pier. While not huge the the difference is about 2 feet.

Crossing the lines acts like a spring line and will minimize forward/aft or side to side movement of the boat, depending on which lines are crossed and still let it move up and down with the tides.

My covers were different. We usually used the custom bow and cockpit covers, did'nt cover the cleats, but when we used the factory cover I could pull the cleat outside of the cover.

20220411_174021.jpg

Last edited:
I don’t like to leave me boat without a cover on it. I have attached a couple of pics of my boat. I don’t know about crossing ropes but I will try it this summer.

Attachments

• 936D96E3-CB7F-4C31-9EA9-E3DA8CDD6407.jpeg
    936D96E3-CB7F-4C31-9EA9-E3DA8CDD6407.jpeg
    784.1 KB · Views: 40
  • 47F5EE00-BB74-4EFE-B228-832715E996BC.jpeg
    47F5EE00-BB74-4EFE-B228-832715E996BC.jpeg
    646.8 KB · Views: 47
Here's how we have her tied up.

Attachments

• 20220412_205551.jpg
    20220412_205551.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 36