• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Using Scotchgard on Hydro-Turf / Hydro-Teak

Bruce

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
As most of you know I installed Hydro-Teak throughout my SX230 earlier this year. We love the look and feel of the product. But having chosen a lighter color I found that algi, moss, clay and other contaminants brought into the boat would get caught in the pores. This caused me to clean the floor with a stiff brush and simple green after most outings.

Will @JetBoatPilot was kind enough to test Scotchgard on a piece of scrap Hydro-Turf. He said that it did not cause any harm but changed the color slightly giving it a wet look.

I decided to try Scotchgard on the swim deck mats last week.

I started by spraying Scotchgard's carpet product on the four large mats and the cup holder mats on the swim deck. The smaller sections needed more cleaning before I apply Scotchgard. I got overspray on fiberglass and metal sections but it came off easily once dry. I let it dry overnight.

ScotchgardApplied.jpg

The product applies as a foam and the bubbles disappear as it dries. In some areas (where I likely over applied) the bubbles turned to a white powder. I lightly scrubbed with a brush and then vacuumed away the residue. I am going to try the fabric product and see if it reduces cleanup before I apply to the rest of the boat.

This is after the cleanup. I did not apply scotchgard to the smaller mats seen above the middle of the picture. I do not notice a color change.

ScotchgardAfter.jpg

Then we took the boat out for a fun day on Lake Ouachita that involved four of us anchoring in a rocky area for lunch on shore and stopping to play at a sandy beach. When we finished I hosed down the swim deck with water from the onboard shower. This is how the mats look after the day on the lake.

ScotchgardAfterADayOnTheLake.jpg

It is the first time that I have not felt the desire to clean the mats after a day on the water.

After applying the Scotchgard the mats feel the same but water forms in to droplets on them similar to a freshly waxed car. I did drip some blood onto the mats (from an excited kitten incident) while cleaning off the Scotchgard residue and it wiped off easily.

When I install light colored Hydro-Turf or Hydro-Teak again I will apply Scotchgard immediately after installation.

txav8r

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
Did it make it slick at all @Bruce ? I did my mats once with vinyl (also for rubber) conditioner. It make them wet looking temporarily a little more slick. But it didn't last long at all. If it did make them more stain resistant, that is good! I never noticed my darker mats showing any stain other than oil or grease, but I expect the lighter color can show that red clay. Glad your finding some solutions to it!

On another note, the new Fusion HU kept coming back on repeatedly after I got it back home from PD for the install. After a little research, I found that disabling the alarm feature on the clock stopped that behavior. I have a call and email into Fusion, and a call into PD, so I have to call off the concern on Monday! I wish I could borrow a couple of other speakers and see what results I get without additional power.

EDIT: I discovered an alarm setting in the clock menu on the HU, that was enabled for some reason, and it was turning the HU back on! I disabled and all is good!

Last edited:

Bruce

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
@txav8r, It might be a little slicker, it must be since water is forming into droplets like a waxed surface. But it is not slick. Your feet press into the mats which would help with if they were to become slippery. @JetBoatPilot's mats are thicker than what came from the factory. Where the Scotchgard got on the fiberglass and metal it felt like very fine sand paper until I cleaned it off.

Jr15g

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
252SE
Boat Length
@Bruce, thanks for the write up and the pictures!!! I will defently apply Scotchgard to my mats on my Yammi. I installed my @JetBoatPilot 's mats last year and had the same issues you were having.

KXCam22

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
With my stock mats I scrubbed some armor-all into the surface with a toothbrush. It did a nice job and kept them nice all season. Cam.

Glassman

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
...I did drip some blood onto the mats (from an excited kitten incident).....
OK, This is the kind of shit that really scares me.

kitty.jpg

Just when you thought it was safe to go to the sandbox! :eek:

MOA_Chaser

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Resurrecting this old thread... @JetBoatPilot ... do you know if this is safe for SeaDek?

Gym

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Resurrecting this old thread... @JetBoatPilot ... do you know if this is safe for SeaDek?
I just sprayed this on my new SeaDek yesterday. It took 2 14 oz cans. No discoloration, seems fine. Unless it causes cancer in mice or jetboaters, I like it. Thanks for the tip @Bruce. :)