• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Vectors or cobras?

Mark

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I have been looking and haven't found anything yet. Has anyone tried both? If so which do you prefer. I have the XL vectors but think I would like to try the cobra ultimate because you can set them up to stay down when on plane. I think I would like the better control claimed when setup that way to handle waves better. Any reviews from people who have tried both would be nice. But I am concidering the lateral thrust vectors also so that might have an effect on my decision. Unless they end up working with the cobras.

bobbie

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
I started with the thrust vectors then the cobra ultimates. I ended up going back to the new thrust vectors because i bought the new lateral thrusters (waiting patiently for them!). Cobras do not work with the lateral thrusters so it's a no brainer...go with the newer thrust vectors.

swatski

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Cobras do not work with the lateral thrusters so it's a no brainer...go with the newer thrust vectors.
I could be mistaken, but why would Lateral Thrusters not work with Cobra Ultimates?

I think the FANGS will not work, but the Ultimates should be fine.
The Cobras/Ultimates are the only fins I know of that can be deployed at speed, stabilizing the stern. Crucial for water sports such as wakeboarding and water skiing, albeit less so with the new 24' keeled hulls. I don't think it matters at all for wake surfing.

--

bobbie

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
@swatski the ultimates replace the stock bolt under the reverse bucket with another to attach part of the bracket. If you watch the installation of the lateral thruster, it also needs that bolt under the bucket to attach the lateral thrusters.

synackattack

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I feel like the lateral thrusters would work with the cobra venom AK series for the newer boats. When watching the install video it didnt look like it used any of the same bolts. I'm pretty sure the fangs would interfere though.

Mark

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
@bobbie I was seeing the same thing. I was hoping they would work with the cobras and fangs. Can you run the fangs on the inside of the jets on a twin engine? If so I might could get both to work. @swatski That is why I am interested in them. I like the idea of more control and stability on plane. Which I assume they provide
Since you can have them deployed at all times.

bobbie

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
@Mark after changing back to the thrust vectors I've really enjoyed feeling the jet boat feel again. No regrets going back to them at all.

NewBoater

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Have the cobra ultimates with fangs. Company was a pleasure doing business, very fast shipping. Made all the difference in the world for the handling of our boat. Way better control. Never had thrust vectors so can't compare them to each other just wanted you to know an opinion from someone who has the cobras that has really enjoyed them. Good luck with whatever you decide.

bobbie

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
I've had both and both provide improved low speed handling. If you have a hull like mine you can not run thrust vectors with the wake wedge and need will use the cobras. I personally like the appearance of the thrust vectors more but cobras have more flexibility in how they are deployed.

I really believe the lateral thrusters will be a game changer with regards to handling. That's the reason I would suggest thrust vectors.

swatski

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
@swatski the ultimates replace the stock bolt under the reverse bucket with another to attach part of the bracket. If you watch the installation of the lateral thruster, it also needs that bolt under the bucket to attach the lateral thrusters.
Well... It's a bolt. From what I remember there are no moving parts attached there, and there shouldn't be any steric hindrance with the Ultimates. On the other hand, the FANGS would interfere (I think), same way as older TV XLs - sticking too far forward past the steering linkage.

I completely understand that Jetpilot would not want to warranty his parts using a modified bolt, especially a bolt coming from his major competitor making fins. But that does not make the Ultimates not compatible with the lateral thrusters, does it?

But again, maybe I'm not seeing it right. You seem to have good idea of what you are talking about.

That said, I would personally not want to trade improvements in handling at speed for improved handling at the dock. For wakeboard and ski the Ultimates (or AKs, or Vipers) are THE SHIT ;).

As far as handling around the dock, I find both the 190 and the 240 to be ridiculously maneuverable around the docks as they are. The fins (either TVs or CObras) prevent spinouts which I find annoying - at any speed. I know that some like to spin freely and for those the fins down at speed are definitely not the way to go.

--

Mark

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
From what I am seeing the ultimates may be the way to go. Because you can run them down all the time or run n them like the vectors and have them rise up on plane. I think I might just give them a try. I will let you know if I do and what my opinions of both are. I have the XL's now and I like them but I don't like how the boat is a pain when dealing with waves if you don't hit them just right. And when pulling skiers or boarders and they pull the boat around. I pull a 230lbs young man and he has a lot of influence on the boat when he tugs back! If you know what I mean.;) Any more opinions are always welcome!

swatski

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
From what I am seeing the ultimates may be the way to go. Because you can run them down all the time or run n them like the vectors and have them rise up on plane. I think I might just give them a try. I will let you know if I do and what my opinions of both are. I have the XL's now and I like them but I don't like how the boat is a pain when dealing with waves if you don't hit them just right. And when pulling skiers or boarders and they pull the boat around. I pull a 230lbs young man and he has a lot of influence on the boat when he tugs back! If you know what I mean.;) Any more opinions are always welcome!
I really think you would benefit from the Ultimates which no doubt give you much more planted feel at the stern, would be about as close to an outboard as it comes (not quite).

Maybe the best example and experience for me was when I tried towing a strong slalom skier for the first time behind my 190… I had the boat tuned up very nicely w/ sufficient thrust/power but the guy was just throwing the stern around - it was painful. With the Ultimates - night and day difference. We loved it for wakeboarding, too.

The Fangs are totally something else - those project forward of the nozzles and help channel the water in reverse somewhat, but are primarily designed to provide "power steering" effect - and they do that very well.

--

Mark

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Thank you @swatski! You always seem to be a plethora of information that is helpful. You are making my decision easier to make!

ruztew

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
@Mark, I'd wait until some of the reviews are out on the Thrust Vectors before dropping cash on any system.

Mark

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
@ruztew I was thinking the same thing. Let someone try the lateral vectors with the cobra ultimates.

mtnv900

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I really think you would benefit from the Ultimates which no doubt give you much more planted feel at the stern, would be about as close to an outboard as it comes (not quite).

Maybe the best example and experience for me was when I tried towing a strong slalom skier for the first time behind my 190… I had the boat tuned up very nicely w/ sufficient thrust/power but the guy was just throwing the stern around - it was painful. With the Ultimates - night and day difference. We loved it for wakeboarding, too.

The Fangs are totally something else - those project forward of the nozzles and help channel the water in reverse somewhat, but are primarily designed to provide "power steering" effect - and they do that very well.

--
I completely agree with swatski on this comment. Before the ultimates when i would slalom i could pull the back of my boat all over the place and it was very annoying. I also boat in the ozarks where traffic is sometimes an issue and its a great feeling to have the boat planted to the water versus sliding around on the waves.

Mark

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
@mtnv900 that is exactlly what I am looking for. I will probably head that direction this winter. Can anyone say Christmas present!?!?

Trevor Shipman

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I would love to hear from someone who had both pro’s / con’s.

Gym

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I see you're pretty well inland in NC. I'm guessing all or most of your boating is fresh water. If on a busy lake where there are a lot of boat wakes or if on the ocean I would recommend the Ultimates for in the water control all the time. If you're primarily only looking for forward, slow speed maneuverability either should work fine.

merlinjet

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I see you're pretty well inland in NC. I'm guessing all or most of your boating is fresh water. If on a busy lake where there are a lot of boat wakes or if on the ocean I would recommend the Ultimates for in the water control all the time. If you're primarily only looking for forward, slow speed maneuverability either should work fine.
I agree. I do a lot of boating on the Colorado River and the Ultimates made steering in the currents much easier.