• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

VHF - External Speaker Connections - Would WS-420 Equalizer Work?

swatski

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Has anyone tried to use WS-420 to tap VHF transmission/sound into your cockpit/tower stereo speakers?

Most information I can find and process regarding VHF external speaker connectivity indicates that connecting a VHF radio directly into your amps or speakers is not a good idea. A dedicated (auxiliary) speaker is generally suggested as a solution to poor quality/volume of VHF radio transmissions. I would think that an EQ such as WS-420 might be able to handle that?

WS-420 has an Auxiliary Input/Output for headphones/MP3 players/boat link (it is a standard 3.5 mm aux input jack, for male to male cable).

Bluetooth would also work, but there are no VHF stationary radios with BT, only handhelds... :confused:

--

Last edited:

Bruce

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Which VHF did you buy? My Standard Horizon GX1700 has a speaker level output for an external speaker but no headphone output. I have considered connecting to the stereo but would need a speaker level to line level converter.

I guess you could plug a handheld VHF with a headphone output into the WS-420 if you already have the WS-420. Otherwise I am sure you could accomplish the same for a lot less.

Bill D

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I have been thinking about putting one of these in to interrupt the stereo and play the VHF through the speakers for a little while now. I think it would be very useful on group trips and when comms are important. I guess I would just have to leave the radio off or stall a switch to turn the device off when I didn't want to be bothered. For $90 though, it isn't a bad price.

http://audiointerrupt.com/Content/VHFU4.html

swatski

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Which VHF did you buy? My Standard Horizon GX1700 has a speaker level output for an external speaker but no headphone output. I have considered connecting to the stereo but would need a speaker level to line level converter.

I guess you could plug a handheld VHF with a headphone output into the WS-420 if you already have the WS-420. Otherwise I am sure you could accomplish the same for a lot less.
I have a GX1700 on order, and that got me thinking...
I also realized my old Cobras with that nice red emergency DSC button are pretty useless without GPS...

Last edited:

swatski

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I have been thinking about putting one of these in to interrupt the stereo and play the VHF through the speakers for a little while now. I think it would be very useful on group trips and when comms are important. I guess I would just have to leave the radio off or stall a switch to turn the device off when I didn't want to be bothered. For $90 though, it isn't a bad price.

http://audiointerrupt.com/Content/VHFU4.html
I looked at that exact thing! I think I will try just connecting the GX1700 (once I get it) into the aux input of the WS-420. The WS-420 does the same fading in/out with sound input from the talk-back mic. Hope I won't blow anything ... I would be pi$$ed.

This is the $31 speaker that I installed https://jetboaters.net/threads/adding-an-external-vhf-speaker-even-a-tiny-one-makes-a-huge-difference.5923/

Even in the roughest water during last years Bimini crossing I could hear the radio traffic clearly over the engines, wind and water.
Thanks @Bruce If the WS-420 does not work, I will do that - looks like a no-brainer except my dash is getting so crammed.

Bruce

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
The output of the GX-1700 is way more powerful than headphones it might damage your WS-420.

Bill D

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
With the EQ, I think you would be able to splice it in. The aux jack connects to wires and can't be that difficult to splice. I'll be following your progress on it and likely following your lead.

Ideally on my boat, I would add cabin speakers and disconnect the tower tweeters, repurposing those for VHF speakers. But that's a lot of work right now for a gain I don't really need. Once I add tower speakers, the 420 makes more sense, and then it all comes together.

swatski

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
The output of the GX-1700 is way more powerful than headphones it might damage your WS-420.
Good point. But my kids scream into that mic thinking it is karaoke... And sometimes when the gain is too high it gives a rather awful, really loud feedback, which so far did not seem to damage anything.
I think I'll try it, careful with the gain, we'll see...

swatski

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length

swatski

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Ideally on my boat, I would add cabin speakers and disconnect the tower tweeters, repurposing those for VHF speakers. But that's a lot of work right now for a gain I don't really need. Once I add tower speakers, the 420 makes more sense, and then it all comes together.
420 is an absolute hoot with tower speakers, the talkback mic sound input (e.g. your calm voice) fades the stereo input and projects!

Bruce

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Good point. But my kids scream into that mic thinking it is karaoke... And sometimes when the gain is too high it gives a rather awful, really loud feedback, which so far did not seem to damage anything.
I think I'll try it, careful with the gain, we'll see...
The GX-1700 speaker output is 4.5 watts at 4 ohms. That may be enough to fry the input on the WS-420. I would not connect them directly.

Bruce

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
420 is an absolute hoot with tower speakers, the talkback mic sound input (e.g. your calm voice) fades the stereo input and projects!
My @Emma is going to want to try karaoke on your boat!

swatski

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length

swatski

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
The GX-1700 speaker output is 4.5 watts at 4 ohms. That may be enough to fry the input on the WS-420. I would not connect them directly.
@Bruce Missed that post, I think you are right, I will take a $31 hit over a much more expensive bet on 420. It's also been suggested the frequency response of a dedicated VHF external speaker is very distinct from a regular stereo speaker, which makes sense.