• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

VHF External Speaker-Opinions Needed

AndyD

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
So after our first group outing with our new VHF radio I quickly learned that when at any decent speed you can't hear shit from the stock speaker. So in preparation for a future Bimini trip we decided to purchase this external speaker.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B003G47KB4/ref=pd_aw_sim_sbs_107_of_4?ie=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=7A4S8PA7W587CTR32GCE

Now my question is, based off of the increased volume from the external speaker where would be the optimal mounting location? My initial gut is to mount it under the dash next to the radio but I don't like the look or the placement. It does have the option for a flush mount and I was thinking about flush mounting it on the side of the dash for a cleaner look but not sure if I would get the benefit from the captains chair. On the flip side though it will point right towards my co-captain, and hey let's be honest, her hearing is much better than mine. Thoughts from others who have external speakers? Will I be able to hear it clearly from the captains chair when mounted on the side?

IMG_5611.JPG IMG_5612.JPG

Bruce

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I would not mount it to the side. Someone is likely to knock it off. Especially in rough water.

Mine is mounted on the dash

AndyD

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
I would not mount it to the side. Someone is likely to knock it off. Especially in rough water.

Mine is mounted on the dash
I'm not worried about someone knocking it off. If I mount to the side it would be a recessed flush mount similar to the radio speakers so it wouldn't stick out more than 1/2" or so. Just wondering if it would direct the sound the wrong direction where i still wouldn't hear it.

bronze_10

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Where u r holding it is a shin getter! Ask me how i know... on my boat i had a small flat area under the steering wheel. But my speaker is small... i wish i had purchased a larger one.

Last edited:

seanmclean

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Unrelated, but where did you mount your antenna?

AndyD

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
I mounted it on the main tower frame, you can see it in this photo. I had to rig up a couple of different mounts to get it to fit right but I'm happy with the end result. A 4' antenna reaches about 1' higher than the highest point on the bimini frame.

IMG_5326.JPG

seanmclean

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Thanks, that looks nice. Planning my winter shopping plans :)

Betik

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
if it is going to be flush why not put it next VHF?? to the right I think you should be able to find a place

AndyD

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Finally got around to hooking up my external speaker. Wow! What a difference it makes. My biggest concern was trying to find a good location to flush mount it to try and keep it looking as clean as possible. Settled on a great spot right under the throttles. DC8FA54C-0469-4413-A93E-30DB940B04CB.jpeg

Sbrown

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
That's beautiful! I was going to suggest to you to find someplace on the driver's right side to mount it, and preferably higher up than the first two spots you showed. I was looking for a spot myself and from experience, I know they have to be aimed at you and as high up as you can get them. I think you found a great spot. Let us know how well it works for you.

Last edited:

robert843

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I mounted it on the main tower frame, you can see it in this photo. I had to rig up a couple of different mounts to get it to fit right but I'm happy with the end result. A 4' antenna reaches about 1' higher than the highest point on the bimini frame.

View attachment 65805
How did you make that mount for the antenna?

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Good looking spot for it @AndyD . I was pondering how to put it up on the tower....problem with this model is I'd need to change the mount to something that would work with the tower frame....

Maybe I'll just put it where you did....but I fear my fume detector and USB charge ports are already in that location...hard to tell from this pick....

AndyD

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Good looking spot for it @AndyD . I was pondering how to put it up on the tower....problem with this model is I'd need to change the mount to something that would work with the tower frame....

Maybe I'll just put it where you did....but I fear my fume detector and USB charge ports are already in that location...hard to tell from this pick....

Yeah, I put it smack dead center of where the warning label was so it would creep into your existing add ons.

AndyD

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
It was a total Frankenstein from a tower speaker mount I bought off my stereo guy, this https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B06WGRW3RB/ref=mp_s_a_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1519159635&sr=8-3&pi=AC_SX236_SY340_QL65&keywords=vhf+antenna+mount&dpPl=1&dpID=417xn3rDsJL&ref=plSrch and stainless bolts with a little JB weld. It’s held up well so far and I’m hoping the bouncing from the Bimini crossing doesn’t rattle it loose.
So are you happy with the location in terms of sound output? Considering doing this....

seanmclean

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Finally got around to hooking up my external speaker. Wow! What a difference it makes. My biggest concern was trying to find a good location to flush mount it to try and keep it looking as clean as possible. Settled on a great spot right under the throttles. View attachment 69083
That looks really nice. I can't hear my VHF at all while underway, though I primarily use it while idling up to a bridge or something. Any issues hearing it underway now?

AndyD

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
So are you happy with the location in terms of sound output? Considering doing this....
Definitely much better than the stock speaker. I haven’t gotten a real solid test this year since installing it short of the weather broadcast while messing with it in the driveway. I’ll be out next weekend in the boat and will give it its full test at 30mph. But I do feel very optimistic, anything is better than stock.

AndyD

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
That looks really nice. I can't hear my VHF at all while underway, though I primarily use it while idling up to a bridge or something. Any issues hearing it underway now?
I haven’t gotten a good test with it yet but will know more for sure next weekend. I’m very optimistic just based off of playing with it in the driveway.

AndyD

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Did a field test today with the external speaker location. MUCH improved from the stock internal one and the location of the external seems to be in a good spot. I was able to clearly hear at 25mph.

seanmclean

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Awesome, thanks for the update!