• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Adding an external VHF speaker, even a tiny, one makes a huge difference!

Bruce

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Many of us realized that we could not hear our VHF radios over the engines, water and wind on the way to Bimini last year. I decided to try adding an external speaker to see if it would help. I ordered a Poly-Planar MB21 from this Amazon seller for $31. The speaker I received is branded ICOM but is otherwise what I expected. After testing, I mounted it on the dash and connected it to my Standard Horizon GX1700. Previously I kept the GX1700 at full volume and wished for more. I turned it down to 50% with the external speaker connected. I need to test on the water but in the garage I found that I could clearly hear the output of the VHF over the radio which I turned all the way up. I also know that I can understand the lyrics on the radio at full speed. So I believe that I will be very happy with the performance of this tiny speaker.

image.jpg

Bill D

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
@Bruce is your external speaker amplified or passive?

Bill D

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
After using my radio with the stock speaker for a little while, I've decided that it isn't sufficient. If a passive speaker is good enough for crossing the ocean with the engines singing behind you, that will be sufficient for my use.

Swimmingly

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
I'm in the market for a VHF radio for my new FSH Sport and considering a Standard Horizon GX1700. I was thinking about the volume issues, plus I'd like other people onboard to be aware of what's being transmitted/received over the radio too. Any recommendations for a similar radio with an integrated speaker?

Bruce

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
The GX1700 has an integrated speaker. It is great at anchor or even going at a reasonable pace. But I want more when jumping through the ocean on a rough day.

I am to aware of any VHF radios that have a speaker of sufficient volume that I would not want to add an external speaker.

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
I added an external speaker yesterday. Makes a big difference but it was a PITA to install! Getting the bolts into this from behind was pure agony in 95 degrees. Then to top it off, the directions in the Horizon GX1700 manual are wrong as it shows a menu to enable the external speaker and mine has no such menu. All you do is connect white to white and black to the shielding wire. No changes internal to the radio. I used a hole saw and did it at the marina ... Also a big mistake as I had no shop vac running. Don't do this! Always make big cuts like this with powerful shop vac running while you cut! Why? Because otherwise the dust goes freakin EVERYWHERE!!!! What a mess I made....first time cutting without a vac running...and it will be the last!

20180616_185913-747x1328.jpg

Last edited:

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
is that a volume control on the speaker?
No, I bought the non-powered speaker - I didn't research it at all, but I think it is an alert button back to the head unit (so if you had it in a cabin you could press it and send an alert sound to the helm). I didn't connect it as I was 1) overheated, and 2) figured I had no use for it. Mine is the 300i, not the 310.