• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

VHF radio and gps placement opinions

steined

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Would love some opinions on placing the VHF and gps. What are your thoughts.

20140518_192032.jpg
20140518_192043.jpg
20140518_192153.jpg 1400455673862.jpg
Obviously the last one would be flush mount. Concern here is it is a little hidden and out of reach, but some functions are on the mic, not dsc mind you.

Then dragonfly options...

20140518_192921.jpg

20140518_192928.jpg

20140518_192937.jpg

20140518_193026.jpg

That last option would require a ram mount that I'm not 100% sure about the placement once mounted but this is my best guess.

Attachments

GiddYupJoe

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
NA
image.jpg @steined I know your set up is a little newer so you don't have the same set up as our 242 but here is a pic similar to your last option for the VHF. I like it because we rarely use t and it's out of the way. I really like the day marine in the center. I would assume it has your speed on it so you wouldn't really miss the speedo if it's blocked.

Last edited:

Bruce

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I put my dragonfly top right using 1" ram mount balls to mount it.

The VHF will be going bottom right.

steined

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I put my dragonfly top right using 1" ram mount balls to mount it.

The VHF will be going bottom right.
That's what I'd like to do as well. Unfortunately there is no way it will fit on top of the dash on the 242 LS with the newer dash layout, not sure about the 2010-2012 configuration.

Kevin M

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I mounted my Lowrance in the center and really like it's location.
20140508_212930169_iOS.jpg

steined

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
@Kevin M That looks good. What did you place between the mount and the dash? Did you epoxy it or something? Is it removable?

Thanks in advance.

Kevin M

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
It's a piece of dense foam. I wanted to minimize vibration on the chart plotter.

steined

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
It's a piece of dense foam. I wanted to minimize vibration on the chart plotter.
Thanks! Where / how did you mount your transducer? It looks like I'll be placing it to the right of the drain plug on the transom. Really not too many options on the 24ft boats. Basically left or right of the drain plug!

BoaterGuy

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA

Bruce

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length

TechRider

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Regal
Year
Boat Model
Limited
Boat Length
I have mine mounted here.

Kevin M

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Thanks! Where / how did you mount your transducer? It looks like I'll be placing it to the right of the drain plug on the transom. Really not too many options on the 24ft boats. Basically left or right of the drain plug!
I mounted the transducer just to the right of the drain plug. I drilled a hole underneath the swim platform and ran the wire. I sealed all the holes and it works well. I inspect the connections and screws all the time but don't expect any issues. I'll get some pictures and post them for you as soon as I can.

Dennis

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
View attachment 5958 @steined I know your set up is a little newer so you don't have the same set up as our 242 but here is a pic similar to your last option for the VHF. I like it because we rarely use t and it's out of the way. I really like the day marine in the center. I would assume it has your speed on it so you wouldn't really miss the speedo if it's blocked.
What vhf is that?

GiddYupJoe

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
NA

SGMPhil

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
That is where I put mine as well, but I mounted the mic to the rear of the throttle station.

tocelli

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Looking at purchasing a VHF radio as well and wondering what Antennae I should go with and where to mount the antennae. I was thinking to go with the Shakespeare Digital 528VB 4' antennae and mounting on the crossbar on the side of my tower. What have others done would love to see pictures and hear suggestions.

Bill D

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I put a 4' Shakespeare 5104 Centennial antenna on my tower with a Shakespeare 4187 Stainless mount. I wanted to get the antenna up as high as I could, so I went on the upper cross member.

VHF antenna.JPG

I have been wanting to get better pictures before posting, but I keep forgetting. You'll get the idea though. Maybe this weekend I'll remember and snap some better pictures.

tocelli

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I put a 4' Shakespeare 5104 Centennial antenna on my tower with a Shakespeare 4187 Stainless mount. I wanted to get the antenna up as high as I could, so I went on the upper cross member.

View attachment 37282

I have been wanting to get better pictures before posting, but I keep forgetting. You'll get the idea though. Maybe this weekend I'll remember and snap some better pictures.
That is what I was thinking the higher the better. Did you drill into your tower and run the cable inside the tube? Would appreciate a picture of how you entered and exited the tubing? Rubber gromets or what?