• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Vortex 223 Questions

Jwohio

Reaction score
Boat Make
Chaparral
Year
Boat Model
VRX
Boat Length
We bought this boat new from the local dealer around boat show time, it was a demo with around 5 hours on it and took delivery mid April. I will be taking it back to the dealer for the third time since we've had it today.
1. Navi wouldn't work correctly, either a full eastern us view or all white screen, they replced the SD card and its still doing the same thing.
2. Every time we take the boat out (and the trips have been short under 3 hours) we lose an inch or two of coolant out of the port reservoir and it is in the bilge.
Has anybody else had these problems, I assume the Navi card wasn't programmed before they installed it and that's the issue for that one but what about the coolant?

BobJohnson

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Chaparral
Year
Boat Model
VR
Boat Length
@Jwohio I had the same issues with the navionics when I got my boat. See this thread on what was done to fix it. Basically, had the wrong size card with boat (8gb) and needed 2 gb and then programmed it. https://jetboaters.net/threads/navionics-on-medallion.7281/

I have had my boat since May of 2015 and have not had any issues like what you describe with the coolant. Wonder if it has to much in it at cool levels and when heated up, you are getting overflow. When the engines are cool, are the levels the same between the two engines?

At the Sand Bar Again

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Chaparral
Year
Boat Model
VR
Boat Length
I had a slight coolant leak (also on port side). I found it coming from one of the through-hull fittings where the hoses connect to the heat transfer plate. I needed to tighten the hose clamps. Hard to get to, but it did the trick. Use a 1/4" ratchet with socket rather than a screwdriver.

Good luck.
FYI, Where in Ohio?
Tom

BobJohnson

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Chaparral
Year
Boat Model
VR
Boat Length
I had a slight coolant leak (also on port side). I found it coming from one of the through-hull fittings where the hoses connect to the heat transfer plate. I needed to tighten the hose clamps. Hard to get to, but it did the trick. Use a 1/4" ratchet with socket rather than a screwdriver.

Good luck.
FYI, Where in Ohio?
Tom
@At the Sand Bar Again Pulling up this old post- hoping you can ell me how you got to the clamps. Did you go through the rear seats Orin through the engine bay? Launched today and have one engine leaking into the engine bay. Tried searching but was getting dark. Need to head back and follow hoses.

Dean P

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Chaparral
Year
Boat Model
VRX
Boat Length
@At the Sand Bar Again Pulling up this old post- hoping you can ell me how you got to the clamps. Did you go through the rear seats Orin through the engine bay? Launched today and have one engine leaking into the engine bay. Tried searching but was getting dark. Need to head back and follow hoses.
Good luck! I also have a leak, just can't find it. Someone mentioned the heat exchanges but not sure how or where to look.

BobJohnson

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Chaparral
Year
Boat Model
VR
Boat Length

Speedling

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SS
Boat Length
Electronics always scare me on the boats. New e throttle stuff, big screens, fancy knobs controlling stuff. I like my manual cable throttles. I like my stereo an easily replaceable unit.
As for your leak i think the suggestions of a loose hose is probably right. Which end of which hose however may be the trick. Especially with heating and cooling and bouncing on the lake, it needs to be tight.
Boat run fine otherwise? Having a blast with it?

Dean P

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Chaparral
Year
Boat Model
VRX
Boat Length
@Dean P found this post which is promising. Gives a couple suggestions of common problem spots. Clamp under overflow container and clamp at thermostat. Just so darn tight in there, hard to see anything let alone get a wrench in. https://jetboaters.net/threads/coolant-in-engine-bay-after-winter.13483/#post-234775
Not me, I believe I asked a question regarding water in the bilge. I'm still trying to correct it. It's not a coolant leak though. Definately water. Worse case, I'll have to driiiiiive to the dealer to fix. :(

BobJohnson

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Chaparral
Year
Boat Model
VR
Boat Length
Found the leak at one of the hose to fitting connections at the ride or heat plate. Hose clamp was not tight. Had to tighten it by going in through the flipped up rear seat. Still extremely hard to get tight. Such a small space. Other hoses around it. But took a while and got it tight. Ran around lake for few minutes, came back and checked and dry. Refilled overflow tank to half way full. Hope and should be at same level when I get back.

Speedling

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SS
Boat Length
Found the leak at one of the hose to fitting connections at the ride or heat plate. Hose clamp was not tight. Had to tighten it by going in through the flipped up rear seat. Still extremely hard to get tight. Such a small space. Other hoses around it. But took a while and got it tight. Ran around lake for few minutes, came back and checked and dry. Refilled overflow tank to half way full. Hope and should be at same level when I get back.
I like small issues like this when they get resolved.

At the Sand Bar Again

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Chaparral
Year
Boat Model
VR
Boat Length
Bob,

I really don't remember, but I think it was from the back seats. I do remember using an articulating 1/4" ratchet adapter (see photo) with an extension and socket to the hose clamp. Very hard to get to. Good Luck.