• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Navionics on Medallion

BobJohnson

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Chaparral
Year
Boat Model
VR
Boat Length
The navigation portion of my medallion system is not working right, or I have some serious user error going on. I had read over on the Chapparral forum of someone contacting Medallion because of a known issue with the navionics cards. ( http://forum.chaparralboats.com/index.php?showtopic=30477&hl= ) I did that, and got a new card this week and tried it out yesterday. Same issues. I am going to talk to Medallion Monday, but thought I would start here, and see if anyone has any thoughts.

Problem- when I start the navigation screen, I get a very distant view showing Lake Michigan. Then with 1 zoom in, I get only a generic look at lake Michigan. With 1 more zoom in, my screen goes all white with only what I believe to be a boat icon showing.

I boat on a Chain of smaller lakes just west of Lake Michigan. In none of my views on the Medallion, do my lakes or any other details show up.

Pictures below show the initial wide view, then the 1 zoom view and finally the 1 more zoom white screen.

IMG_0759.JPGIMG_0760.JPG IMG_0761.JPG

Am I doing something wrong?

Vandyman

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Chaparral
Year
Boat Model
VRX
Boat Length
@BobJohnson Thanks for the information.... more than my dealer provided. I plan to call Medallion tomorrow and seek a new card. I will let you know how it goes although I hope you have it figured out by the time I get a new card and install it. BTW, I had to have my entire Medallion system replaced within 10 hours due to a defect... hope it was an isolated issue.

Bruce

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I would expect to see that on a plotter that did not maps loaded. Is there any way to confirm that the Navioncs chip is recognized and has maps for your area?

My RayMarine Dragonfly came with a U.S. Lakes chip that did not include any lakes in my state. I ended up buying a $99 a year subscription so that I could load a chip with the maps that I wanted.

Pinhacker71

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited E-Series
Boat Length
@Bruce , what plotter did you get? Cmap or navionics? I'm looking at the same unit but can't decide which chart plotter I should get with mine. Will only be using it for lakes. Sorry to hijack thread.

Bruce

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
@Bruce , what plotter did you get? Cmap or navionics? I'm looking at the same unit but can't decide which chart plotter I should get with mine. Will only be using it for lakes. Sorry to hijack thread.
Navioncs was the only option when I bought mine. You should try to determine if the included map chip covers the lakes you boat on. I believe that Raymarine is giving one year of a avionics updates with the Dragonfly now so you can load your own maps. Do they do the same with Cmap?

BobJohnson

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Chaparral
Year
Boat Model
VR
Boat Length
update - talked/emailed with a guy at Medallion. He says the chip they sent me does not have the maps pre-loaded and I need to go to the navionics site and download them from there. Says some of the boats were sent out with 8 gb chips and the medallion can only handle up to 2 gb. So, what they sent me last week was a 2 gb chip.

I am sure when I activated the new chip on the navionics site, it said the chip already contained the US/Canada maps. But, I could have been mistaken and it sure sounds like it, since that is what Medallion is telling me. Unfortunately for me not thinking, I left my chip in my boat up at my lake this weekend, so I can't update it per the instructions from Medallion (see below) until this coming weekend when I can get up to the boat again and get the chip.

Hello Bob,
The 2 GB navionics plus card you received does not come preloaded with information. The map detail you saw on the navionics website was more than likely the available detail, but not necessarily the information downloaded to your card.
Please revisit the Navionics.com<http://Navionics.com> website with the card in your computer. Go to the downloads/updates section. I would first start by deleting all information from the card by clicking the icon that looks like a trash can. After that you will want to fence off the area you wish to download using the map and two control points on the dark blue square.
Once you have the area fenced off you should click the start button and it will download the data to your card. You should see the "available space" on your card adjusted accordingly.
When you re-insert the card into the display reboot and go to the mapping screen. When zoomed all the way out you should see purple squares showing where detailed information is available

Hope this helps someone. I'll update again once I am able to get the chip out of the boat and update it per above.

Bruce

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Sounds like they have given you a subscription to Navionics Updates. I believe that Navoinics limits the update chip to 2GB. Loading charts should solve your problem.

BobJohnson

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Chaparral
Year
Boat Model
VR
Boat Length
Update, update. Went out today after downloading my maps per the instructions above and system works perfectly. Able to see all lakes and details of them. Very nice. Finally nice to have everything working on the boat.

Dan Dawson

Reaction score
Boat Make
Chaparral
Year
Boat Model
VRX
Boat Length
It sure beats strapping down the ipad near the control console with a marine map loaded up.

ChrisM

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Chaparral
Year
Boat Model
VR
Boat Length
I am going through the same issue with detailed maps view, per the the TSB from Medallion Instrumentation, my card ID numbers show my SD card needs to be replaced, although the SD card appears to be an adapter card as there is a mini SD card inserted in the bottom of it, and it says its a 2 gig mini card. I registered the SD card on the Navionics site too, and thought it said I had the maps installed as well. I'll wait till I receive the new card, then start over by registering the new SD card.

ViperII_TSB.JPG

Last edited:

Vandyman

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Chaparral
Year
Boat Model
VRX
Boat Length
I am going through the same issue with detailed maps view, per the the TSB from Medallion Instrumentation, my card ID numbers show my SD card needs to be replaced, although the SD card appears to be an adapter card as there is a mini SD card inserted in the bottom of it, and it says its a 2 gig mini card. I registered the SD card on the Navionics site too, and thought it said I had the maps installed as well. I'll wait till I receive the new card, then start over by registering the new SD card.

View attachment 30242
I had to delete all the files on my card and load from the website. It worked after that. I couldn't choose the entire U.S. but did get pretty much all of the SE which is where I boat.

ChrisM

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Chaparral
Year
Boat Model
VR
Boat Length
I have to post a correction to my post above with the TSB from Medallion Instrumentation that I just learned today. I don't want to lead anybody astray.

My new card arrived today, The MSD/N number is the same as my old one, Not realizing that the SD card is an adapter card for the micro SD, I was under the impression from the TSB that those numbers on the full SD card were the suspect numbers to replace. It's the GB size of the mini SD card. Despite the Navionics site saying that my maps are up to date, Medallion is stating that none of the cards are shipped with maps or regions of maps. So basically I just needed to install the maps. The Medallion TSB is a little confusing.

blackhawkpilot

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Chaparral
Year
Boat Model
VRX
Boat Length
@BobJohnson - where is the SD card? I looked all over today for the card and couldn't find it.

Tlewellyn

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Chaparral
Year
Boat Model
VRX
Boat Length
@blackhawkpilot not to poke my nose in but, the SD card slot is covered by a rubber piece to protect from water. You can feel it more than see it.

blackhawkpilot

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Chaparral
Year
Boat Model
VRX
Boat Length
I swear...I looked EVERYWHERE for that card behind the dash. I'm taking the boat to the dealer tomorrow for oil change and detail. I'll give him the challenge of finding it to see how much he knows.

Tlewellyn

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Chaparral
Year
Boat Model
VRX
Boat Length
I had to delete and add from navionics site before lakes I wanted showed up. Actually had my salesman tell me over the phone where to find it. He owns 2014 vortex so he's been a great resource.
Hope your guy tomorrow can get you taken care of.

Bryan mazanec

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Chaparral
Year
Boat Model
VRX
Boat Length
I think all chap owners had to go thru this process. I had to do the same, easy access by laying on your back under the steering wheel, feel around near the top of the cluster and you'll pull the rubber boot to get the card out. Before you pull it, reach around so you can visualize the area, makes it a lot easier when you put the card back in.

tbauer

Reaction score
Boat Make
Chaparral
Year
Boat Model
VRX
Boat Length
At least yours came with a card. Mine did not and they want $250 plus shipping for a replacement SD card!. Guess I'll be going with out.

blackhawkpilot

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Chaparral
Year
Boat Model
VRX
Boat Length
I must say...the dealer successfully passed the test and showed me where the SD card was hidden. I've said it before and I'll say it again...the owners manual is HORRIBLE!!

BobJohnson

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Chaparral
Year
Boat Model
VR
Boat Length
glad you got it. been away from the forum this week and just seeing this now. Manuals are just sad.