• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Vortex with Rotax ACE 300

JetTech72

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
SeaDoo
Year
Boat Model
Challenger
Boat Length
Just saw this on Chaparral Vortex FaceBook page, Vortex officially coming out with the Rotax ACE 300.
Sounds pretty interesting.

biffdotorg

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Are we talking about a pair of those monsters? OMG!

JetTech72

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
SeaDoo
Year
Boat Model
Challenger
Boat Length
Can you imagine a pair of Rotax ACE 300 in a Vortex 223, that would be chasing watercraft around.
I'm guessing a 65+ MPH boat.

All Seas

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Can you imagine a pair of Rotax ACE 300 in a Vortex 223, that would be chasing watercraft around.
I'm guessing a 65+ MPH boat.
Except when they stuff in in a pwc!

Either way, I would love a 60+mph boat

viggen

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
NA
Yea the seadoo RXP/RXT 300 2018 uses that engine, been waiting a year for the ace 300 to find its way into jet boats.

Looking forward to the day two ace 300’s are put in a boat the size of the old seadoo 200 speedster

Compatico

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
While practicing my google-fu I found a dealer who is already showing 2019 ordering info as "coming soon" for the Vortex 203:

Engine Make Rotax
Engine Model 1.6L 4-Tec 300 ETC
Engine Year 2019
Total Power 300hp
Engine Type Single Inboard
Fuel Type Gas

I also found another site that has a new 2019 with the 250hp engine and noticed the only cosmetic change is the wake tower is mounted a bit differently and looks a little different at the base mount. The bars have some contour or edge to them possibly for more rigidity:

Compatico

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
No longer a rumour as I found this official confirmation on Boating Industry dated August 1st:

"BRP Marine Group has announced the release of its largest Rotax jet propulsion engine yet – the Rotax ACE (Advanced Combustion Efficiency) 300. The new engine is now available on Scarab jet boat models and Chaparral Vortex models."

https://boatingindustry.com/news/2018/08/01/brp-marine-group-launches-new-rotax-engine/

Also the same announcement on Power Boat World:

https://www.powerboat-world.com/news/208358/Rotax-announces-new-jet-propulsion-engine

Compatico

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Nevermind the tower changes, that image is with an EFX powered lift / lower unit. The standard tower is apparently unchanged. Seems just a new engine option is the major difference.

112Vulcan

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Nice, I like it but...imagine the fuel burn with twins.

Compatico

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Nice, I like it but...imagine the fuel burn with twins.
Actually it's not that bad for typical use. I was just looking at the technical details on the 203 with twin 150 hp and fuel burn is reasonable.

Based on the GPH numbers for twins vs single fuel consumption is roughly half at cruising speeds as the twins run at lower RPM to attain the same speed with more thrust. So running at 25mph is about the same with a single or twin.

A pair of 300 hp should consume about the same fuel at lower RPM vs a pair of 250 hp when running under less than WOT.

Yes they will suck more gas when wide open and driving like you stole it mode, but probably not much more for tubing or skiing or cruising.

112Vulcan

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
"Yes they will suck more gas when wide open and driving like you stole it mode, but probably not much more for tubing or skiing or cruising."

That is why I think the fuel burn would be crazy. If I had a twin 300hp jet boat, I would drive it like I stole it. I mean...that's why I would buy what I would consider to be a high performance toy. If I wanted to do 25mph all day, I would not have twin 300hp motors.

Compatico

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
"Yes they will suck more gas when wide open and driving like you stole it mode, but probably not much more for tubing or skiing or cruising."

That is why I think the fuel burn would be crazy. If I had a twin 300hp jet boat, I would drive it like I stole it. I mean...that's why I would buy what I would consider to be a high performance toy. If I wanted to do 25mph all day, I would not have twin 300hp motors.
The fuel burn is crazy with any of the supercharged jet engines. If max speed all day long is your thing, a jet boat should not be your first choice as they are not as efficient as prop drives, especially when running WOT. 10 years ago I wouldn't have considered a jet boat at all due to fuel efficiency, but today they're closer to prop drives below WOT. In fact, if speed is your only concern, you should look at a Fountain or similar high speed boats with twin 1000hp engines...who cares about fuel economy right? o_O

But if your driving is like most users where WOT is for some fun or getting to a nearby location quickly, and typical recreational use such as economical cruising, tubing, skiiing, wakeboarding, swimming, etc. is your main focus, then fuel burn is not really a huge concern. I can count on one hand the number of boats in my area (out of hundreds) that I see running around WOT all day. Not saying WOT isn't fun, we like blasting across the water too from time to time. But if I wanted to do that all day long, I'd buy a prop drive or even a jetski.
:winkingthumbsup"

112Vulcan

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
I'm not concerned about speed. I'm just saying IF I were to purchase jet boat with twin 300 hp, I would be on the throttle quite often and the fuel burn would be significant.

If I wanted speed, the Nortech manufacturer is just down the road from me.

Compatico

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Vortex updated their website today with 2019 model info. They are separating the Vortex into its own line like the Robalo series, using the Vortex branding name. This suggests they may be available through more "watersports" oriented dealers, not just Chaparral dealers.
Note the 300hp single is listed now as well as the twin 150hp:

• #1806 PRE-RIGGED FOR 250 ECT
  • Single 1.5L Rotax 4-TEC 250 ECT
  • Single 1.6L Rotax 300HP Non-Catalyst
    *N/A in California
  • Twin 1.5L Rotax 4-TEC 150 ECT
  • Twin 1.5L Rotax 4-TEC 150 HP EPA Non-Catalyst
    *N/A in California

112Vulcan

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Vortex updated their website today with 2019 model info. They are separating the Vortex into its own line like the Robalo series, using the Vortex branding name. This suggests they may be available through more "watersports" oriented dealers, not just Chaparral dealers.
Note the 300hp single is listed now as well as the twin 150hp:

• #1806 PRE-RIGGED FOR 250 ECT
  • Single 1.5L Rotax 4-TEC 250 ECT
  • Single 1.6L Rotax 300HP Non-Catalyst
    *N/A in California
  • Twin 1.5L Rotax 4-TEC 150 ECT
  • Twin 1.5L Rotax 4-TEC 150 HP EPA Non-Catalyst
    *N/A in California
There is only an $800.00 up charge for twin 300's. Sounds like a No Brainer!!!

Dean P

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Chaparral
Year
Boat Model
VRX
Boat Length
Congrats on your new boat. I'm so jealous...Pictures (lots!) please?

Dean P

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Chaparral
Year
Boat Model
VRX
Boat Length
Happy to report just picked up a 2019 Chaparral Vortex VRX 22' with the twin 300's - it is a beast. Haven't seen full potential as still on break-in duty.
Is the break-in period over? Results? Pictures?

Speedling

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SS
Boat Length
Happy to report just picked up a 2019 Chaparral Vortex VRX 22' with the twin 300's - it is a beast. Haven't seen full potential as still on break-in duty.
Updates! I wanna see 65 mph! I did it on my exciter 270 back in the day. If a 22' jetboat can do it i am impressed!

Dean P

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Chaparral
Year
Boat Model
VRX
Boat Length
Updates! I wanna see 65 mph! I did it on my exciter 270 back in the day. If a 22' jetboat can do it i am impressed!
Do you have pictures of your 2008 SS?