• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Vortex with Rotax ACE 300

Speedling

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SS
Boat Length

Speedling

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SS
Boat Length
@drrjv we need photos and reports man! Open her up!
Unless you had issues or something, then let us know what's up!

Dean P

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Chaparral
Year
Boat Model
VRX
Boat Length

Speedling

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SS
Boat Length
Wow, your boat is 11 years young and looks great! The styling has changed so much. Have you thought about upgrading or do you like the older models? Sorry, just being nosy...
I would love a bigger boat but the fuel economy is great, the towability and economy as far as weight is concerned is great and the payment (none) is great!
Going on Lake Michigan as I do i see value on a bigger boat but not enough to take a loan. I am the type to save cash until i can afford or don't buy it. I had one year where both our vehicles conked out and i ended with a loan.
I would be torn between a 242 limited s, a 255 id and a sun sport prop boat. I would love a good go fast boat but i doubt my wife will ever allow.
The exciter was insane after all the work i did but was too small for a family.
Some day when my kids don't need my money as much? (Private Christian school is about $850 a month and worth every penny but boy do i look forward to that being done)

Dean P

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Chaparral
Year
Boat Model
VRX
Boat Length
I would love a bigger boat but the fuel economy is great, the towability and economy as far as weight is concerned is great and the payment (none) is great!
Going on Lake Michigan as I do i see value on a bigger boat but not enough to take a loan. I am the type to save cash until i can afford or don't buy it. I had one year where both our vehicles conked out and i ended with a loan.
I would be torn between a 242 limited s, a 255 id and a sun sport prop boat. I would love a good go fast boat but i doubt my wife will ever allow.
The exciter was insane after all the work i did but was too small for a family.
Some day when my kids don't need my money as much? (Private Christian school is about $850 a month and worth every penny but boy do i look forward to that being done)
I can appreciate everything you just stated. Spend the time with your children cause when they're gone, they're gone and you don't get a second chance. We gave up boating to spend all our time in their lives (school, sports, high school, more sports, music, college, sports, more music). I wouldn't trade that for anything and would do the same all over again. I missed my brother's wedding (1500 miles away) due to my son having a musical concert the same date (planned well in advanced). Your kids, our boys are everything (as it should be!). Good for you and keep doing it.
Honestly I thought that might be the reason for the older boat. Your sacrifices will payoff 10 fold. You reap what your sow.

2kwik4u

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I can appreciate everything you just stated. Spend the time with your children cause when they're gone, they're gone and you don't get a second chance. We gave up boating to spend all our time in their lives (school, sports, high school, more sports, music, college, sports, more music). I wouldn't trade that for anything and would do the same all over again. I missed my brother's wedding (1500 miles away) due to my son having a musical concert the same date (planned well in advanced). Your kids, our boys are everything (as it should be!). Good for you and keep doing it.
Honestly I thought that might be the reason for the older boat. Your sacrifices will payoff 10 fold. You reap what your sow.
Exact reason I have a loan and a boat in the garage. Unplugged time with the family is worth it. I have insurance to cover the debt if I kick the bucket, and don't mind the payments. A couple hours on the lake with the boys is better than anything else.

Now....back to those twin 300's in a Scarab 255 Open idea....:D :D

Dean P

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Chaparral
Year
Boat Model
VRX
Boat Length
Exact reason I have a loan and a boat in the garage. Unplugged time with the family is worth it. I have insurance to cover the debt if I kick the bucket, and don't mind the payments. A couple hours on the lake with the boys is better than anything else.

Now....back to those twin 300's in a Scarab 255 Open idea....:D:D
Sorry, so easy to get side tracked and off topic. My bad...YES, bring the 300s back!

Flip_5

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
PWC
Happy to report just picked up a 2019 Chaparral Vortex VRX 22' with the twin 300's - it is a beast. Haven't seen full potential as still on break-in duty.
So, what are your thoughts now that you've had it a few months? How about a review? This is one of the boats I'm considering.
Thanks,
Mike

drrjv

Reaction score
Boat Make
Chaparral
Year
Boat Model
VRX
Boat Length
So, what are your thoughts now that you've had it a few months? How about a review? This is one of the boats I'm considering.
Thanks,
Mike
Quick Review:

PRO:
  • Very fast
  • Amazing acceleration
  • wicked handling (could use a 5-point harness)
  • User interface pretty good (Medallion set up)
CON:
  • Frequent clogged impeller port (especially bad on Potomac River)
  • Quality concerns (nothing new since new nozzle installed - 1st one fell off - fingers crossed!)
  • Drain hard to reach with optional platform (we keep the boat on a lift, wouldn't be an issue with a trailer)
  • Parts availability. Waited 6 weeks for repair. Dealer ended up scavenging parts off another boat
  • Other minor things,
    • why does the ignition switch have a starter position when the boat has buttons to start the engines.
    • battery switch on the boat does not correlate with the one in the owners manual.
    • high noise levels

Dean P

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Chaparral
Year
Boat Model
VRX
Boat Length
Quick Review:

PRO:
  • Very fast
  • Amazing acceleration
  • wicked handling (could use a 5-point harness)
  • User interface pretty good (Medallion set up)
CON:
  • Frequent clogged impeller port (especially bad on Potomac River)
  • Quality concerns (nothing new since new nozzle installed - 1st one fell off - fingers crossed!)
  • Drain hard to reach with optional platform (we keep the boat on a lift, wouldn't be an issue with a trailer)
  • Parts availability. Waited 6 weeks for repair. Dealer ended up scavenging parts off another boat
  • Other minor things,
    • why does the ignition switch have a starter position when the boat has buttons to start the engines.
    • battery switch on the boat does not correlate with the one in the owners manual.
    • high noise levels
I keep mine on a lift. I installed (2) a remote flush kit and I access from the swim platform. Way betterer.
The key switch allows you to turn the boat on and not the engines.
Which battery switch do you have?
What your top speed?

drrjv

Reaction score
Boat Make
Chaparral
Year
Boat Model
VRX
Boat Length
Do you have a link or more info on the flush kit?
Your right, the key turns the boat on (but why can you turn the key past the on position - similar to older cars? Not a big deal)

Here is the info sheet on my batter switch:

The battery switch issue was discussed on the Chaparral forum:

Dean P

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Chaparral
Year
Boat Model
VRX
Boat Length
Do you have a link or more info on the flush kit?
Your right, the key turns the boat on (but why can you turn the key past the on position - similar to older cars? Not a big deal)

Here is the info sheet on my batter switch:

The battery switch issue was discussed on the Chaparral forum:
LOL, You're right about the key. Forgot it does that.
I got it from the dealer I bought the boat from. I also modified it to place it on the back. See picture. I added a couple quick connects to make is easier. (at first I thought they were too big, but not at all). You really don't need the kit if you know which lines to cut (I did not).