• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Wake boarding from low tow rope vs. tower ??

Terrapinjam99

Reaction score
Boat Make
Chaparral
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Hello , was looking to make a new/used 21 footer boat purchase . Trying to decide if I really need the Wake Tower for the elevated rope positioning for wake boarding ? We have never wake boarded ( only tube and ski ) , but the boys are older and what to start wake boarding . I know that you " can " do it from the low rope position , but does the elevated position really make that much difference -- or is more about the "cool" factor ( cause , I do admit , the new forward leaning tower do look very cool ! ) Looking for any and all input/advise/comments . As always - thanks ,in advance , for any input.

haknslash

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Moomba
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
It's not a cool factor although they do look great. It's for allowing for more air and tricks to be done. When you jump in the air if the tow point is low it will not allow for as much air as if the tow point was higher. Of course this being a jet boat the wake isn't going to be massive anyways for huge air tricks or anything but if your boys want to get the most out of wakeboarding they are going to want to be towed from the tower regardless of boat type. Towered boats also tend to have more desire on the market.

latitudeadjuster

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Hello , was looking to make a new/used 21 footer boat purchase . Trying to decide if I really need the Wake Tower for the elevated rope positioning for wake boarding ? We have never wake boarded ( only tube and ski ) , but the boys are older and what to start wake boarding . I know that you " can " do it from the low rope position , but does the elevated position really make that much difference -- or is more about the "cool" factor ( cause , I do admit , the new forward leaning tower do look very cool ! ) Looking for any and all input/advise/comments . As always - thanks ,in advance , for any input.
Definitely want the tower especially if boys are older.....the tower helps to pull them straight up as well. If you go no tower the rope hooks to the rear low and gets caught up in wakes etc. But you can do it if you choose. Do not ever pull tube from tower though.....

Mainah

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Low tow point will equal more toe side face plants in the water too.

spatty99

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Moomba
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
More toy storage on the tower also.

Sbrown

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Having wakeboarded with both, I can tell you that you have to work a lot harder to do the same aerial stuff with the low tow point. If you can get a tower, I would definitely recommend it.
One of the other benefits with a tower is the tow point is more centered over the boat, so when you carve wide and hard, you don't pull the boat around as much. From the operator's perspective, it makes it easier to control the boat.

2kwik4u

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Having had a boat without a tower and with a tower I will verify all the above things. The tower us better in all regards for riding anything beyond a tube in the water!

I'll also add that beginners "get up" faster with the tower as it doesn't pull them down during a deep water start but pulls them up instead. It's a big advantage when learning IMO.

Dave burke

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
What about skiing? Tower ok or is a low tow point better? Thx

Sbrown

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
What about skiing? Tower ok or is a low tow point better? Thx
In my opinion, I prefer the low tow point for skiing, especially for slalom. When you're trying to carve a tight turn and really need to lay low, the high tow point is a real hindrance, at least to me anyway. Plus, when I'm transitioning the wake on a slalom, I prefer to keep the ski in touch with the water and having the rope lower helps me to do this.
Some people may complain that the rope drags in the water, but I've found that at the higher speeds needed for slalom skiing, the boat and the wake are sufficiently positioned so that's not much of a problem for me.

Last edited:

Dave burke

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Thx. Makes sense. Stupid question but is there a low tow point on the late model Yammies? I got mine last year and have not been skiing with it yet.

haknslash

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Moomba
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Thx. Makes sense. Stupid question but is there a low tow point on the late model Yammies? I got mine last year and have not been skiing with it yet.
Yes it's on the swim platform area.

Dave burke

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Thx. It’s amazing what you can’t remember one the boat is stored for the winter...

Sbrown

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Having that choice of two tow points is one of the things I like about the Yamahas

adrianp89

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
252SE
Boat Length
No wakeboarding experience here, but I plan on getting a board and starting from the bottom (no choice on my SX). Next year taxes will hopefully go towards a wake tower.

2kwik4u

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
You can certainly start from the low point. I learned to ride a board from the low point on our old Rinker. Makes getting air a little harder, but certainly doens't make learning the basics any different. You'll be quite a few sessions IMO before the low point becomes a hinderance in your progression.

Here's a picture of me riding the wakeskate behind my old boat. Not sure I have one of me behind the Yamaha.

LowTowPoint.jpg

Sbrown

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Absolutely agree, for starting out the low point should not be a problem at all. Much like @2kwik4u, I learned the basics behind a boat that only had a low tow point. The high tow point really only comes into play for aerial stuff. Just makes getting good height a little easier.

JBehrens

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Tower is the best way to go! I have skied, kneeboarded and wakeboarded behind 2 boats without towers, a SVHO jetski, and 2 tower boats. The only time I was "happy" with a lower tow point was on the jetski and that is mostly because 1. it is my only option half of the time and 2. the power of the supercharger pulls my 220lb ass out of the water in 0.2 seconds. @buckbuck says it all, get a tower, you will not regret it. Not to mention the storage for boards and speaker (if you like). Also, some may disagree, but I find the higher point to be easier to teach with as it pulls you up and out of the water for starting.

Attachments