• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Wake cable stuck in cleanout port - turned into (very) hot water in engine compartment and ski locker

Jbruslund

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Hey guys,

Had quite a nightmare today after my wake cable got stuck in one of the cleanout ports, and hoping for some expertise inputs as I am not particularly strong on the subject.

after hours of fighting trying to cut out the cable, we ultimately managed to cut off the handle of the rope and a few meters - damage was however really bad and ended up with several meters completely tied up in the cleanout port. It was placed where it was impossible to cut out with the equipment we had onboard, and it was so tight that you couldn’t even move it.

As it couldn’t move whatsoever, we decided to head home using both engines anyway (probably the root cause of the problem), but quickly realized I didn’t have much power to the boat - max around 10-11knots. I figured it was the cleanout plug that was not properly in place due to part of the cable still being stuck, but couldn’t do anything about it, and after all still managed to put back some water to get back home. Halfway home we started to see smoke coming out of the engine compartment and immediately turned off engines to check status, and realized there was a substantial amount of (HOT) water flushing around in the engine compartment which had also moved into the ski locker. Kept engine turned off after this, whereafter the bilge pump slowly got it emptied out.

Didn’t dare turning on the engines again in case of forcing further damage, so had to get towed back to a marina where it is now tied up in the water overnight till I can go out and see if I can somehow cut off the rope stuck with some better equipment, and Then hopefully sail her back to the ramp and get her on land.

I have read similar cases with water in the engine compartment and ski locker, but not completely similar to this - so looking for some expert inputs, in terms of knowing if it is safe to sail to the ramp, what would cause this much water intake and the potential damages this may have caused.

Appreciate any prompt inputs!

Dave burke

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Sorry to hear this. If you have water in the bilge that points to leak somewhere in all likelihood. I think you need to get the boat out of the water asap. Until you can, keep it very shallow water so it doesn’t sink. I don’t want to be alarmist but this happened to me because of a similar issue.

I would not run the damaged engine.

Once out of the water you probably need to pull the pump to clear the rope and see what damage you have. Send us pics when you’ve done so.

Ronnie

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Any alarms go off when while the engines were running?

Which engine was smoking? The one with the clogged pump?

Was the smoke coming from the engine compartment or behind it where the clean out plugs and water boxes are?

Check the cooling lines from each engine to the thru hull ports/spouts. Look for a cooling system string here and/or youtube.

I am guessing the cooling water intake on the pump with the line stuck in it got blocked or you weren’t going fast enough to force water through it. this caused some rubber before or after the water box next to the clean put ports to melt allowing hot water into the bilge.

good luck and please let us know what you / your mechanic finds.

Cambo

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
First I will start off with what I post every time someone mentions water in the bilge. Why the F do boats not have water alarms its such cheap technology these work great and are worth the few dollars.

When the rope gets sucked in It can damage the seal where the impeller shaft passes into the hull. This could allow water to continue to feed in I would get to the boat as early as possible to make sure the bilge pump does not drain the battery and the boat sinks. As questioned above did any of the over heat warnings come on? What a lot of people don't know is cavitation from junk stuck in the impeller area effects the cooling of the motors if the water is loaded with air bubbles it does not cool efficiently and with rope bound up that will create cavitation. With the motor and exhaust running hotter than normal it could have heated the water that was leaking in from a compromised seal that the rope damaged. keep us posted and take pictures. Many members have sucked up ropes and have not had major issues, hoping the same with your boat.

Jbruslund

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Sorry to hear this. If you have water in the bilge that points to leak somewhere in all likelihood. I think you need to get the boat out of the water asap. Until you can, keep it very shallow water so it doesn’t sink. I don’t want to be alarmist but this happened to me because of a similar issue.

I would not run the damaged engine.

Once out of the water you probably need to pull the pump to clear the rope and see what damage you have. Send us pics when you’ve done so.
Thanks! I’ll head to the boat right away to get it out.

Jbruslund

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Any alarms go off when while the engines were running?

Which engine was smoking? The one with the clogged pump?

Was the smoke coming from the engine compartment or behind it where the clean out plugs and water boxes are?

Check the cooling lines from each engine to the thru hull ports/spouts. Look for a cooling system string here and/or youtube.

I am guessing the cooling water intake on the pump with the line stuck in it got blocked or you weren’t going fast enough to force water through it. this caused some rubber before or after the water box next to the clean put ports to melt allowing hot water into the bilge.

good luck and please let us know what you / your mechanic finds.
Thanks for the input! It seemed to be both engines smoking and it came up directly from the engine compartment - It looked mostly as it was caused by the fact that the water was hitting the hot engine, or it was simply over heating for being pushed too hard - but what you are saying makes good sense.

Since the rope was so tight around the metal thing in the cleanout port, I didn’t think it would cause any damage further into the impeller, but I imagine that must have been the case.

Jbruslund

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
First I will start off with what I post every time someone mentions water in the bilge. Why the F do boats not have water alarms its such cheap technology these work great and are worth the few dollars.

When the rope gets sucked in It can damage the seal where the impeller shaft passes into the hull. This could allow water to continue to feed in I would get to the boat as early as possible to make sure the bilge pump does not drain the battery and the boat sinks. As questioned above did any of the over heat warnings come on? What a lot of people don't know is cavitation from junk stuck in the impeller area effects the cooling of the motors if the water is loaded with air bubbles it does not cool efficiently and with rope bound up that will create cavitation. With the motor and exhaust running hotter than normal it could have heated the water that was leaking in from a compromised seal that the rope damaged. keep us posted and take pictures. Many members have sucked up ropes and have not had major issues, hoping the same with your boat.
Thanks a lot! That sounds very likely for the situation yes. I was not aware that the rope being tied around the impeller shaft would allow you water into the hull or engine compartment.
I’ll head to the boat and update!

Dave burke

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length

Great point on the alarm @Cambo. Even though I have a back up bilge, I just bought the one you sent the link to. Thx

Cambo

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Great point on the alarm @Cambo. Even though I have a back up bilge, I just bought the one you sent the link to. Thx
For the install zip tie the alarm up high on some hoses and hang the sensor about 2” above the bilge pick up.If it rings you know something is wrong and needs to be checked. I’m still on the original 9v battery over 3 years old. Put the sensor in a cup of water and shut the engine hatch to know what to listen for.

Cobra Jet Steering LLC

Jetboaters Admiral
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
With the boat on the trailer get under the boat and look up inside the intake grate, there you will see all your rope wrapped around the drive shaft, . remove the intake grate and cut out the rope then replace the intake grate. then inspect all the hoses and clamps around the engine but most likely removing the rope will solve the problem . once you put the boat back in the water just let it sit for 20 minutes and see if any water enters the boat if none is in there run the boat for 10 minutes and then check again if no water is in there just check on it periodically,

Beachbummer

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I am not certain your hot water is from a leak, could have easily been from the issue with the clean out plug. Attack each item individually. In hindsight, you could have returned with only the non-affected engine to minimize trouble. Not much help now, for the next adventure.

it may all be related to running with the extra cable/tow rope in the shaft. take the right tools to clean that up 100% and then check operation again. I'm not sure what clean out style you have, but if not well secured, they can allow plenty of water into the bilge, and if the level is high enough, it will get hot just from contact with the engine.

If It was me, I would sooner remove the pump than the intake grate, so if you cannot but all the rope with the access you have, I would do exactly as Jeff suggests above, but would consider removing the pump from behind vs the grates to get more access, only because the grates are quite hard to remove on my boat.

Cobra Jet Steering LLC

Jetboaters Admiral
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
There is something I Have said for many years LIMP mode is never safe mode so if you ever get a warning or go into limp mode do not run the engine until you find the problem and fix it. Also if you find it necessary to run on one engine go no wake mode and keep the reverse bucket in forward to lower the back pressure in the pump when the water is flowing through it . if you run too fast you fill the engine with water once the water box fills up it works back into the engine.

Cobra Jet Steering LLC

Jetboaters Admiral
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
In my experience getting the pump out is more difficult than the intake grate and if you use some ingenuity you probably won't even need to remove that just cut away at the rope and clear it from the drive shaft.