• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Wake wedge or perfect pass

nate kennedy

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
last summer was our first on our 15 212x. After spending time on the boat and figuring it all out we figured out the upgrades we will want. I was hoping to get some input as to which you did first or would recommend perfect pass or the wake wedge. Have never surfed but bought a board and the plan is to learn this summer. I was planning on putting in a manual valve to select a side for the ballast to fill on the stock system. That way I can use that and some additional bags to figure out what we want and where. I was planning on starting with the wedge but recently saw the perfect pass group buy. What is your guys opinion? Thanks!

I don't have a twin, but have surfed behind a 212x, and would say go for the Wake Wedge first. Holding your speed via gps wont help your wave like a wedge will.

Imho #1 would be perfect pass. The more weight you add to the boat (ballast) the harder it will be to hold the boat at a consistent speed. The perfect pass will take care of that and free you up to direct your attention to other driver duties such as where other boats/obstacles are as well as enjoying watching the rider.

Second vote for Perfect Pass. You can create a surfable wave, speed control is a whole different matter. I put my money where my vote is, added Perfect Pass last year and it is fantastic!

As a wife driver I love perfect pass. We surfed a whole summer without it so it was truely a blessing when it was installed. I would start with that first then build from there.

That's 3-1 I am glad I asked I was leaning the other way.. I was thinking get the wave dialed in then get the perfect pass in to set the speed.

Don't get me wrong I would never go surfing without my wedge wink;) wink ;) but everyone has to start somewhere just depends on what you want to accomplish with your time frame for mods weigh your pros and cons ! So for this coupon sale loving girl the group buy on perfect pass saved some money so well worth getting in on it when it happens once a year. I am pretty sure Jerry will be doing a wedge group buy when it gets closer to spring if anything changes for you @nate kennedy ! Talk to ya later :winkingthumbsup"

Both, via the pending group buys here on jetboaters!!

My 0.02.

I don't have the Wedge because I would need two, and then - I would want those automated. Go figure. But that thing is a dynamite.
If you are a family of either regular OR goofy (and not split up like mine...) I would make the wedge a pretty high priority.

The PP (or equivalent) is almost essential.

--

Disclosure I don't currently surf but want to. My whole family wakeboards, tubes, and waterskis. Keeping a consistent speed is very challenging with these activities but also paramount to a good ride for the boarder. I can't wait to get perfect pass. Next I would like to see the spray knocked down for both wakeboarding and tubing (hopefully the in development wake flap will do that), next is ballast for a bigger wake, and last will be the wedge if needed.

Perfect Pass adds a safety factor as well in that the driver can focus more on things other than the speedometer and trying to do tiny throttle adjustments.

Maine requires a spotter but when we move to SC later this year which does not require a spotter but rather a spotter OR a panoramic mirror; I look forward to being able to head out with just the wife and a panoramic mirror if the kids are all into other stuff and no one else wants to tag along. Without perfect pass I don't think this would work too well.

All that said the wedge is pretty cool and I may end up with one someday. Well that or a dedicated surf boat :confused:

Thank you all! I am thinking I will get in on the perfect pass group buy and keep an eye out for the wake wedge and see where we go from there! Thanks for all your opionions

I agree with the previous posters here. We have Perfect Pass and the wife loves it. If I had the wedge and no Perfect Pass, it wouldn't do me any good since my wife would have killed me, or refused to drive the boat. But, I believe that the wedge is needed for a good wave. We can surf our wave now, but cleaning up the jet wash is a priority.

My vote would be perfect pass first and then the wedge. I always talk to customers and ask them if they have it, and if they don't then they might want to put it on the list. With the PP grout buy going on now I would defiantly do that first.

For me it depends on what you're doing. For surfing I have no problems holding a constant speed because there is no significant pull on the boat. I figure out what RPM holds 10.5mph (usually around 8400rpm then I just set that RPM and forget it. So I would go with a wake wedge before I would buy perfect pass if surfing is your top priority. I made my own wake wedge a couple of years ago. My wake sucks without it.

That being said, for all other watersports Perfect Pass is almost a necessity to hold a constant speed.

Last edited:
Jerry didn't have trouble when he was driving while I surfed it was me who had a harder time while driving. My mind wonders easily :( guess that's why they call it the marriage saver ! :kiss:

So I’m about 18 months late to this conversation... Is there or will there be another group buy I might be able to get in on? Or should I just be looking at buying directly from perfect pass?

So I’m about 18 months late to this conversation... Is there or will there be another group buy I might be able to get in on? Or should I just be looking at buying directly from perfect pass?

In my opinion you should be looking at Hydrophase RideSteady instead of Perfect Pass. I did research on both before I decided and it was hands down the better choice.
I'd suggest you do a search on this forum for "ridesteady" and read up - some of the threads even compare it to PP.

Back