• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Wakeboarding critique requested

Fargo007

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
you need to straighten and lower your shoulders, thereby you can relieve the stress on your biceps and triceps. Load the board with a little more heels, shifting the center of gravity a little back and outward, now you have a very forward centering, because of this the board dangles along the course. The torso is turned, you ride sideways on one side of the body, without loading the other.

The first thing you need to try is to stand up a little more comfortably. You're just not comfortable. Lower your arms, the handle of the cable should be at your outstretched arms near your waist, your shoulders should be turned (not slouched) and lowered. The load from the shoulders goes through the torso to the pelvis and hips. Your thighs are your strongest and most resilient muscles. If you hold with your back and press, you will quickly get tired and have poor control. The hips are fast, they are used to maintaining balance, they hardly get tired. Load your heels, load your board, move your center of gravity/pressure point lower down your body from your chest (like now) to your waist.
Watching myself after reading this, you are spot on.

Yes, I'm very uncomfortable, pretty much thanking God every microsecond that I've not wiped out. We're going out again Tuesday and I will work on this. My focus is gonna be on all this stuff, mostly getting more upright with the handle down by the waist and leaning against that line.

Really appreciate it. Thanks.

Fargo007

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Still at it! We were out Tuesday and I feel like I'm doing better.

I was able to switch left/right though. That's a big gain. Body position really helped to make that possible.

I still feel like I'm just skipping across the water with very little positive control. I feel totally unable to carve because I can't seem to get toeside engagement. Are my legs too stiff?

satovod

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Still at it! We were out Tuesday and I feel like I'm doing better.

I was able to switch left/right though. That's a big gain. Body position helped to make that possible.

I still feel like I'm just skipping across the water with very little positive control. I feel totally unable to carve because I can't seem to get toeside engagement. Are my legs too stiff?
you hold the handle to your chest and your arms are bent. The boat's thrust is transmitted too high, and the impulses are worked out not by the legs, but by the torso and arms. Man is an upright animal, and everything that is responsible for maintaining balance works much better in the lower part of the body. The muscles of the legs work out balancing faster and more accurately than the arms and torso.

What you need to do: 1. straighten your arms. The trick is not to reach for the handle, not to slouch, not to let your shoulders move forward. Imagine that you are lifting a barbell and trying to lift it off the ground. Your arms are straight (you wouldn't do this with bent arms, your shoulders and spine are straight. The force is transmitted through your back - deltoids - buttocks - to your hips and heels.
2. You will be much more comfortable on the board if you slightly increase the water pressure on the board. The easiest way to do this is to go not behind the boat, but slightly to the side.
3. In order to even out the load on the second leg, try to let go of one hand and ride holding on with one hand. This will straighten your torso.
4. Load the board. Try changing the mounting settings a little. All people are different, there are no symmetrical people, the right/left sides of a person behave differently under load. Try to move/rotate the mount so that you feel comfortable on the ground. If you feel that the inner part of the foot is pressing more than the outer part, turn the shoe to the desired angle to make it comfortable.
5. I watched several of your starts. The board needs to be deployed a couple of seconds earlier. You've been driving across for too long. There's nothing wrong with this, you'll just get more tired.
6. Do you have normal vision? do you see well? If you wear glasses and take them off while riding, consider getting yourself some sports frames and wakeboard glasses. You can use prescription swimming glasses. This doesn't seem important, but in fact the progress in ride quality is fantastic when the rider sees where he's going.

Cambo

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Keep at it soon you will be going wake to wake watch you tube videos

Copy of IMG_5467.JPG

Fargo007

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Thank you!

Yeah I can ride one handed now either reg or switch.

What about the legs though? Am I too stiff legged here?

I feel like to get the handle any lower with straight arms, I will have to actively be pushing down on it, or lean much further back than I am now.

Unless maybe I'm not pivoting my torso to the side enough? Watching myself the rope seems to be always coming from the front of me and not the side. I'm pretty sure this has something to do with it.