• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Wakeboarding with 222 FSH

Mid life crisis

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Ok so i've searched wakeboarding in the FSH forum and nothing. I was looking at the accessories for the FSH and they offer a storage solution for the T-Top for wakeboards but I didn't think we could really wakeboard with ours. Am I missing something? Are we supposed to try from the tow loop?

Nice! So tow loop it is! I'm hoping with the Sport E the pop up will be easier than our older 242 but we are very new to any kind of wakeboarding so figured I would ask on this.

I think it's a lot easier to get up on a wakeboard than on one or two skis. You can actually go up pretty slow while you're learning. No need to pop up, although that's what you'll do once you're comfortable. If you haven't yet, watch a few videos on how to get up. When I bring someone out the first time, I have them watch this one, and everyone gets up...

He exaggerates it a little to make the point, but it's really that smooth and easy if you don't try to force it. The Sport E can probably pop three of you out of the water at once!

That’s a great video right there. The only other time we’ve tried wakeboarding was with our 242 and we always felt like we had fun slam the throttle to pull the rider up. I’m thinking it will be even easier for driver control with the E throttles and then lock them to one throttle.

I’m sure there will be some face plants as we get used to that “wing” method but it makes sense and if we are slamming the throttle it should be much easier to do. Thanks for that video.

Nice! So tow loop it is! I'm hoping with the Sport E the pop up will be easier than our older 242 but we are very new to any kind of wakeboarding so figured I would ask on this.
I've been riding boards on water for as long as I can remember. I didn't get my first tower until I was 36yrs old. Started and continued for YEARS off the rear tow point. Until you're getting massive air on wake to wake jumps, the lower tow point is just fine.

If you want the wakeboard experience without the painful crashes, look into wakeskates. Same premise as a wake board, but no bindings. WAY easier on your body when you crash.

I've been riding boards on water for as long as I can remember. I didn't get my first tower until I was 36yrs old. Started and continued for YEARS off the rear tow point. Until you're getting massive air on wake to wake jumps, the lower tow point is just fine.

If you want the wakeboard experience without the painful crashes, look into wakeskates. Same premise as a wake board, but no bindings. WAY easier on your body when you crash.
I've definitely been thinking about getting a wake skate for that exact reason. Good to know that my hunch was correct. Although I've only taken one spill that caused pain. A little rough on one of my feet when the board wanted to stop faster than the rest of me last fall on one of my first rides. No damage, just reminded me that there are risks to my foolishness. Not a bad reminder to get once in a while.

I've definitely been thinking about getting a wake skate for that exact reason. Good to know that my hunch was correct. Although I've only taken one spill that caused pain. A little rough on one of my feet when the board wanted to stop faster than the rest of me last fall on one of my first rides. No damage, just reminded me that there are risks to my foolishness. Not a bad reminder to get once in a while.
You're not wrong on getting that reminder.

I caught an edge and faceplanted on a wakeboard years ago. Immediately started wondering what I could do about it. Moved to a Wakeskate the next season, and haven't looked back.

Now, I'm not good enough to ollie, or do wake to wake jumps with it. None of that stuff you see online from the pro's. Surface spins, "slides" on the edge of the wake, things like that are enough to keep me entertained until my fitness level no longer supports me riding. Which in recent years has only been 3-4 pulls and I'm done.

You're not wrong on getting that reminder.

I caught an edge and faceplanted on a wakeboard years ago. Immediately started wondering what I could do about it. Moved to a Wakeskate the next season, and haven't looked back.

Now, I'm not good enough to ollie, or do wake to wake jumps with it. None of that stuff you see online from the pro's. Surface spins, "slides" on the edge of the wake, things like that are enough to keep me entertained until my fitness level no longer supports me riding. Which in recent years has only been 3-4 pulls and I'm done.
I'm guessing I'll keep a wake skate firmly on the water, but we'll see. Regarding age and fitness...I turn 60 next month. I've been wakeboarding for less than a year, I can get about a foot off the water right now on jumps and hope to get a little better at that, and I plan to keep riding until the lake runs dry. And yeah, four pulls and I'm done.

Beginner wakeboard guy here as well (56 y/o). You guys are going four? Hell if I can hang on for 3 I'm sore for two days. My last pull is just being towed so I can be in the water long enough to not be ashamed LOL.

Wakeboarding is my all-time favorite watersport. It's low-skill to entry and allows for wide range of improvement. Buy a bigger board than you're "sized" for because you can go slower and it helps soften the landings.

I have three different boards and my all-time favorite is the Murry Pro, lots of pop, easy to break out of the fins, and comfortable. My Rusty Pro is like a sports car in comparison, edges hard but breaks hard too. And my Slate 2.0 was what I learned on and is a very solid board - great for every skill level but extremely forgiving on the toe-side with the cut corners.

That’s a great video right there. The only other time we’ve tried wakeboarding was with our 242 and we always felt like we had fun slam the throttle to pull the rider up. I’m thinking it will be even easier for driver control with the E throttles and then lock them to one throttle.

I’m sure there will be some face plants as we get used to that “wing” method but it makes sense and if we are slamming the throttle it should be much easier to do. Thanks for that video.
Don't slam the throttle - that just creates jerking motion and makes the rider attempt to hang on to the rope, then the rider automatically bends their arms to bring the rope back and now you're just being dragged through the water. The nice thing about our jet boats is that, even a slower throttle out of the water, will create plenty of torque to pop a person up.

I've taught many teenagers and my own daughter at 7 years old how to wakeboard - three key principles:
  1. Bent knees like you're doing a squat
  2. Arms straight with rope in the middle of the board
  3. As soon as the boat pulls you a few feet, just stand up and your body will go into it's preferred position, either regular or goofy foot, and lean back on your rear foot.

Back