• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Wakeboarding

scokill

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Sounds like a coaching opportunity for the Mrs. . . . . You hammer it, get on plane then slowly back down. Should never have to come up above 18-20mph.
I would never coach someone to hammer the throttle. If that's the case then some lessons need to be given on getting up on a wakeboard. Maybe you mean something different than I am interpreting from the word "hammer". Speed control just makes it more enjoyable for anybody riding or driving....you don't have to be a pro. If it's not worth it to someone then so be it. It's just like anything else on a boat. You spend your money on what you will bring enjoyment.

0627Devildog

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Classifieds Moderator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I would never coach someone to hammer the throttle. If that's the case then some lessons need to be given on getting up on a wakeboard. Maybe you mean something different than I am interpreting from the word "hammer". Speed control just makes it more enjoyable for anybody riding or driving....you don't have to be a pro. If it's not worth it to someone then so be it. It's just like anything else on a boat. You spend your money on what you will bring enjoyment.
"Hammer it" may have been a bit much depending upon your specific definition of the term. I thought the context was clear enough that I was saying "throttle up" enough to get on plane then ease off as necessary. . . . Never needing to get above 20MPH.

MattFX4

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Haha well maybe I need to educate myself on how to tow a wakeboarder properly. When I tow people I throttle up to 100% right away to yank them up and then throttle down. Is that not the correct way? Especially when I have 7-8 people on board it needs some juice to get going!

MattFX4

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
I'm picking up what your putting down @MattFX4. It's my second season with my 2016 AR240 and my wife is a novice boater/operator. She struggled with towing me the whole first season... speed was always creeping up our down... it was more scary than fun. I even noticed while I was the one doing the towing there was a lot of babysitting the cruise assist.

All I can say is the Hydrophase Ridesteady was worth every cent. She can't do wrong pulling me with it. Wakeboarding, wakesurfing, slalom... out doesn't matter.

Its just a awesome addition to the boat whatever the case. I use it while cruising around all of the time with a smile on my face because my twin engines are in prefect harmony. Almost like I saved $20k off an E-series... Almost...

I don't know what boat your running. But if its compatible, it's worth it in my opinion... I installed it myself without any trouble. You can bet I'll up-sell it when it comes time for a new boat.
Cool I may have to go ahead and pick up the ride steady. I have a 2015 242 S so it should be compatible. I'll keep an eye out for a group buy this winter.

Ronnie

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I used to throttle up to 100% when i first started wakeboarding then we brought a guy with experience with us who showed us how to do it correctly. Basically, get boarder behind the boat, get the line tight. I used no wake 3, give the signal and push the throttles up slowly past the first detent and ease back on the throttle once the boarder and / or boat get on plane. Makes things easier for everyone involved. This is my two cents but it seems to be supported by numerous how to videos on YouTube.

0627Devildog

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Classifieds Moderator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Cool I may have to go ahead and pick up the ride steady. I have a 2015 242 S so it should be compatible. I'll keep an eye out for a group buy this winter.
Next Memorial day when I am out on Alatoona, I'll help you dial it in. = )

MattFX4

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
I used to throttle up to 100% when i first started wakeboarding then we brought a guy with experience with us who showed us how to do it correctly. Basically, get boarder behind the boat, get the line tight. I used no wake 3, give the signal and push the throttles up slowly past the first detent and ease back on the throttle once the boarder and / or boat get on plane. Makes things easier for everyone involved. This is my two cents but it seems to be supported by numerous how to videos on YouTube.
That makes sense Ronnie. It doesn't take much at all for me to pop up so giving it 100% throttle is too much. I have never towed wakeboarders and two weeks ago was my first time ever wakeboarding so I have a lot to learn!

Mainah

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I briskly throttle up to 6k rpms for lightweights and 6500 for heavyweights. I use to back down before target speed was reached but now ridesteady takes over as soon as I throttle up and mostly controls the ramp up speed after the initial throttle up. Was teaching my almost 15 yr old son how how to pull boarders this weekend. He did great but of course most of that has to do with having a speed control system. Can't stress enough that having some kind of speed control makes a huge difference for the boarder and the driver. Beyond a better pull it is safer too because the driver can just focus on direction and reading the lake 360 degrees.

Also of importance is having smooth water. Choppy water will beat you up. We travel 5 miles each way on Lake Murray to get to a very cove that turns into smaller cove that then turns into a finger. Always smooth water there minus a few boat wakes from other boarders or tubers. We start in the small cove run into the finger and back out to the small cove for two loops for each rider. With a loop taking about 5 minutes. There are other closer/busier coves but this one is worth the trip. Find that little known out of the way spot on your lake and you will appreciate it.

Oh yeah when you find that small protected cove do the right thing and be respectful of any nearby property owners as they probally have a lot of boats doing that and don't need hclds blaring at their houses or wakes pounding their boats against their docks.

Last edited:

0627Devildog

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Classifieds Moderator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Oh yeah when you find that small protected cove do the right thing and be respectful of any nearby property owners as they probally have a lot of boats doing that and don't need hclds blaring at their houses or wakes pounding their boats against their docks.
I WISH people followed this advice more often. . . . . unfortunately, it's a rarity by us.

USN SCPO RET

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I think a throttle sync and use of the cruise assist feature once she gets you to your target speed would go a long way towards resolving the problem without breaking the bank.
That how I do it.

Jgorm

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
A Yamaha still never be as nice as a dedicated wake boat. Not even close. You need someone with multiple years of wakeboarding experience to pull you. They will know a decent speed by the wind and water. I've pulled loads of wakeboarders behind jet skis. That's tricky because you need full throttle every time they cut, then reduce to steady speed as they 'jump'. Someone with experience makes a huge difference.

MattFX4

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
A Yamaha still never be as nice as a dedicated wake boat. Not even close. You need someone with multiple years of wakeboarding experience to pull you. They will know a decent speed by the wind and water. I've pulled loads of wakeboarders behind jet skis. That's tricky because you need full throttle every time they cut, then reduce to steady speed as they 'jump'. Someone with experience makes a huge difference.
no doubt but I think the ride steady speed control would make it a lot easier. @Mainah raised a good point about safety and focusing on your surroundings while towing, and not constantly watching the speedometer. I never thought about that part of it.

J-RAD

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
True and not true... A Yamaha can give you a good wake, but not a competition grade wake boat wake, that much is true.

Where I respectfully disagree is that it requires someone with years of experience to pull you... While it certainly doesn't hurt in any situation, with the Ridesteady my novice wife can give me the same ramp up and hold speed to within 0.1 mph every time. Giving her the ability to fully focus on where the boat is going and the safety and instructions of the rider. She has the ability to pull me as consistently as any veteran could... In addition, its me as the rider that wants and should have control, I should the one telling the driver what speed I want to be at and its their job to maintain it.

Granted I'm no pro and therefore I don't put a extreme amount of force back on the boat pulling extreme stunts, but with the twin engines I don't see anyone slowing it down to much, I've never felt it as a rider. The system is programmable in its degree of compensation and could quickly react to any change.

Yes, it took an aftermarket product to achieve these results. Results that would otherwise require a more skilled operator. But I think the X-series boats give similar functionality built in. In that rearguard, your blanket statement isn't quite an absolute. I've done some of the best riding this season than I've done in the past 15 years, with a novice driver.

Last edited:

scokill

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Haha well maybe I need to educate myself on how to tow a wakeboarder properly. When I tow people I throttle up to 100% right away to yank them up and then throttle down. Is that not the correct way? Especially when I have 7-8 people on board it needs some juice to get going!
I'm not familiar with the new ARs, but if you have to go full throttle to pull up a wakeboarder even with 7-8 people on the boat something is wrong or you have a huge wakeboarder. Maybe that's the way these are powered now. Don't know.

buckbuck

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
I agree with @scokill . Something is wrong if it is taking full throttle to get them up.

MattFX4

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
I agree with @scokill . Something is wrong if it is taking full throttle to get them up.
I don't think it would take full throttle. That's just what I have been doing. That's what my buddy was doing on his Supra but it has speed control built in. I just assumed I should do the same on mine but I guess not!

scokill

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I don't think it would take full throttle. That's just what I have been doing. That's what my buddy was doing on his Supra but it has speed control built in. I just assumed I should do the same on mine but I guess not!
My buddy has a mastercraft and he hits the throttle all the way down too and speed control takes over. With that being said my boat will kill his out of the hole. Do whatever works, but it just seems drastic.

eticket

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
We have found that a gradual increase in throttle is much better for us. We are only a couple of years into wakeboarding and often have beginners with us. I used to give too much throttle and yanked the rope away from the rider all the time. My wife was more gradual in increasing speed and had better success getting people up. I am now convinced it is the way to go.

Also, we have perfect pass so no need to worry about holding speed and I can't imagine skiing or wakeboarding without it or some other GPS based speed controls.

Brad Dunn

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
I agree you need speed control system. I don't believe any skill can match a speed control system. Our 242 x gps speed control is not working and surfing with manual throttle is pretty easy but wakeboarding is basically imposable to hold a steady consistent speed.