• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Wakebooster setup, position, and brief review

cgcaraway

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Spent all day Saturday trying to figure this out. We almost got ropeless but only lasted for a brief few seconds, just not enough push from the wake. I am going to try adding ballast to the ski locker and more on surf side. We were only trying with 400lbs on surf side but we had 2 full-grown adults on surfside swim deck and another female adult in the front. The wife was driving. We noticed that we got a better wake when steered left. Not doing circle but a little surfside direction. I will try to post some pictures. We still need to get the ridesteady or perfect pass. I wanted to make sure we can achieve surfing before making the purchase.
As for wakebooster positioning, I placed the side with tab and moved the back out. With the tabs we have a little play. This gave us the best wake IMO.
I am so new at this so still trying to figure out what a good wake is. We also seem to get to close to the back of the boat. Trial and error.

anmut

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212S
Boat Length
Spent all day Saturday trying to figure this out. We almost got ropeless but only lasted for a brief few seconds, just not enough push from the wake. I am going to try adding ballast to the ski locker and more on surf side. We were only trying with 400lbs on surf side but we had 2 full-grown adults on surfside swim deck and another female adult in the front. The wife was driving. We noticed that we got a better wake when steered left. Not doing circle but a little surfside direction. I will try to post some pictures. We still need to get the ridesteady or perfect pass. I wanted to make sure we can achieve surfing before making the purchase.
As for wakebooster positioning, I placed the side with tab and moved the back out. With the tabs we have a little play. This gave us the best wake IMO.
I am so new at this so still trying to figure out what a good wake is. We also seem to get to close to the back of the boat. Trial and error.
I think it's all about ballast with these boats, the more the better. Also, turning into the surf side slightly seems to create a phenomenal wake too.

cgcaraway

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I think it's all about ballast with these boats, the more the better. Also, turning into the surf side slightly seems to create a phenomenal wake too.
Agree 100%, just purchased (2) 800lbs ballast bags, and (2) 400lbs ballast bags. Not saying I am going to use them all but want to make sure I have them in case. We plan on trying out tomorrow. Fingers crossed we can go ropeless. I can say that surfing has become an addiction. We spent most of the day Saturday trying it out.

cgcaraway

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Right? Wake boarding is crazy fun. Surfing is an addiction.
My son finally went ropeless, we have 800lbs sack in the locker, 800lbs on the surf side seat. He only lasted for 20-30 seconds. One of the shops here suggested going with a smaller board for him as he was using the Yamaha Slingshot board and it is extremely large. I could not get ropeless. I'm going to try adding 400lbs to the swim platform and see if that will get us the wake to push my heavy butt. We'll take some videos and photos today, yesterday was really trying to dial it in and trying out the new Ride Steady. Ride Steady is a must in my opinion.

RXBoost

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Not sure what the deal is. I'm 5'-9" 165 pounds and can go ropeless no problem for an indefinite amount of time with only the factory ballast full, no wake shaper, and the only person on board being my wife who is driving. I use the slingshot coaster which is the same board Yamaha includes.

I agree a cruise control system is a list, I'm about to get perfect pass as soon as they get so their parts in stock, it'll make the whole experience way more enjoyable.

Is the 24' boat way different than the 21' in regards to wake? Or is it a technique thing?

Brian B

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
I believe its technique. I can go ropeless with my 4 11 powertail, but my wife and her sister can not. I've wakeboarded way more than they did, I also surf in the ocean. People rush to drop the rope, but need to feel there way around the board and the wave. Ropeless is not automatic on any board with any boat IMO. Balance front to back and left to right on the board gets you ropeless.

buckbuck

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
It is my opinion the 21' boats surf better than the 24'. I believe it has to do with the length of the hull.

anmut

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212S
Boat Length
What’s everyone using for speed?

Brian B

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
I believe its technique. I can go ropeless with my 4 11 powertail, but my wife and her sister can not. I've wakeboarded way more than they did, I also surf in the ocean. People rush to drop the rope, but need to feel there way around the board and the wave. Ropeless is not automatic on any board with any boat IMO. Balance front to back and left to right on the board gets you ropeless.

Brian B

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Update, I'm a liar. I bought a CBC 5'8" fish for 25 bucks and it went ropelss easy without ballast, just wakebooster. Ballast got a leak. I'm 6ft 205lbs. Board has tons of volume and is a little hard to get up for smaller people, but it sure surfs. Also ordered a coaster from JRad for the next trip in two weeks and ballast will be repaired.

Attachments

Brian B

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
here is the video. Almost made the outside of a turn!!!

Todd Kyle

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Hi - I have a 2017 242X E-Series - we surf ropeless all day :) We use the stock Ballast (100% Surfside, 40% in the Ski Locker and 20% non surf side). We have the wakebooster (this makes a BIG difference). We run between 9 and 11MPH - this video is my daughter (120ish lbs) with two adults on the swim platform and me driving. Plenty of push and a nice curl on the wave. In the video we are at 10MPH. I also have video of my son (who is 180lbs) surfing ropeless as well - will post after this one. Hope this helps!

anmut

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212S
Boat Length
Hi - I have a 2017 242X E-Series - we surf ropeless all day :) We use the stock Ballast (100% Surfside, 40% in the Ski Locker and 20% non surf side). We have the wakebooster (this makes a BIG difference). We run between 9 and 11MPH - this video is my daughter (120ish lbs) with two adults on the swim platform and me driving. Plenty of push and a nice curl on the wave. In the video we are at 10MPH. I also have video of my son (who is 180lbs) surfing ropeless as well - will post after this one. Hope this helps!
Video didn't pop!

Todd Kyle

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
[/QUOTE
Here is another video - same set set up (see above) this with my son who is about 180Lbs and using the Yamaha Slingshot Surfboard

Brian B

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
I think your YouTube setting are "private" so us jetboaters can't see your videos. You have to go into the video settings and change to public.

Todd Kyle

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
I think your YouTube setting are "private" so us jetboaters can't see your videos. You have to go into the video settings and change to public.
OK, thanks - I adjusted settings, so can you check again?

Brian B

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Looks good. If you want some cheap extra ballast I can fit 6 60lb sand bags in each wet storage. Sand bags are $3 each. I never move them. I only tow the boat on trailer about 500ft to storage. Surf on!!

anmut

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212S
Boat Length
That's awesome! I caught myself yelling "noooo pump pump" at the end when she started to wash out. She surfs goofy like me - I was told to try to keep your feet both feet at a right angle to the edges, that way your body weight can shift easier.