• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Wakesurf Board Buying Advice for Beginner/Intermediate

francis3

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212X
Boat Length
We just bought a 2017 212X and are very excited. We have a waverunner, but are new to jet boats and this forum was very helpful in researching it. Thanks!

I'm excited to surf and need to pick up a board. Thinking of getting two boards at once: the Slingshot Boss Hoss so we can get up and going quickly while we learn, and the Slingshot Coaster (5' 3") so we have something more fun once we learn to surf and have hopefully dialed in a decent wave.

Details about us: The 212X came with Cobra Jet fins and Ridesteady, so am planning to start with a Wake Booster once it's back in stock. My wife and sons all want to surf. The boys and I are 5' 10" - 6', 140 - 185 lbs. We already wakeboard and foilboard, but we are new to surfing.

Sadly I won't be able to use it until the spring, so normally I'd wait to buy and get only one board until we are ready to upgrade. But the pandemic seems to be creating unexpected shortages, so I'm thinking of picking up both now so that we'll be ready to hit the water in the spring.

Boards are pricey, so I'd appreciate any advice. Do the Boss Hoss and Coaster boards seem like good boards to learn and then progress, or would you recommend something else? And is 5' 3" the right size for the Coaster, or would 5' be better?

gallobg

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
MasterCraft
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
@J-RAD on this site is your go to guy for information. He has a shop with Slingshot and other boards. I got a Coaster 5’3” from him and love the board.

Ken Sherlaw

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Stewartsville NJ (Lake Wallenpaupack, PA)
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
I have a coaster as well and like the board. We tried another lighter board that my wife and daughter preferred while at our lake/camp in Skowhegan Maine this summer with another Wakesurfers' boat. Unfortunately I don't know what brand it was so not much help there. So maybe J-RAD has some other recommendations. My reason for posting (since I'm no expert on boards) is to suggest researching the wake wedge before purchasing the wake booster. I bought the package including the wake booster from my local Yamaha dealer thinking it was the best option. After several frustrating attempts at surfing with it, I was able to surf ropeless but the wake is very temperamental in my opinion. You will spend a lot of time perfecting a wake, just to not be able to duplicate it the next time for various reasons. I decided to bite the bullet and get the wake wedge as a comparison, figuring I could sell whichever I didn't prefer. On our first time out with the wake wedge I was able to get a smooth, surf able wake with minimal adjustments. So I am definitely preferring the wake wedge so far. Just a suggestion to check out both. There are fans of both on here I would guess but I personally prefer the wake wedge after using both, although limited to the end of this season. I plan to post some comparative videos on one of these threads if I can figure out how to post a video on here since there is typically some interest on setup and comparisons.

francis3

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212X
Boat Length
I'll check with @J-RAD for boards and also look more closely at the wake wedge. The Wake Booster is appealing because it's very easy to install, switch and remove. But there certainly seem to be the full range of mixed results here on the forum.

Thanks very much for the info -- I appreciate it!

J-RAD

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Thanks for the plug guys. Sorry I'm slow to enter the conversation, I've been trying to get caught up on things. I'm happy to offer a recommendation and discount. @francis3, I think you've given enough info for me. I'll shoot you a message with some info.

francis3

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212X
Boat Length
Thanks @J-RAD! No worries about any delay. I dropped the boat off for the winter yesterday. So very sadly, we won't be surfing until the spring.