• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Wakesurf setup complete!

Rumbo

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
We finally dialed in our surf setup and it is incredible! We’re using the Wake Wedge, transom bag, and a 750 lbs bag up front from @jcyamaharider at Gantlin and riding on a 2019 Slingshot Coaster from @Jrad at Transom Watersports. My kids could have rode this wake as long as they wanted. 09D6992D-E9C1-44FE-9F6F-15321C0ED6D2.png53F8F0A8-BDAA-41B9-8B0F-0CE89F13550A.png

Tlcaffall

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Is that Lake Mary?

Rumbo

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
It certainly is. Are you from around here?

gallobg

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
MasterCraft
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Looks great! What’s a good technique to teach younger kids (8-10) how to launch and stand up on the board?

Rumbo

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Good question...I’m trying to think of what I told my kids when we started...
If they wakeboard it's basically the same except feet aren’t in bindings.

1. Put their heals at the edge of the pad.
2. Push down slightly when the boat launches to help flip the board to their feet
3. Make sure they keep the board perpendicular to the bot as long as they can.
4. I tell my kids to keep the majority of their weight on their back foot until they are up
5. Keep knees bent until they are up.
6. Stay outside the wake until surf speed is reached
7. Make sure they’re having fun. When my kids start getting frustrated it meant it was time for them to take a break.
8. Once surfing make sure they know that weight on the front foot makes them go, weight on their back foot slows them.

Be patient. I watched for reasons they couldn’t get up and tried to explain those reasons to my kids. So much is in the driver too. Tailoring the launch speed to their size and strength, positioning them to where they feel comfortable taking off, etc.

AZMark

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
It certainly is. Are you from around here?
The one by Flag? I didn’t even know you could take a boat like that on there.

Tlcaffall

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
We have a Cabin in Happy Jack. I live in Gilbert. How does your jet boat perform at 6000+ elevation?

Rumbo

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
We have a Cabin in Happy Jack. I live in Gilbert. How does your jet boat perform at 6000+ elevation?
Nice! Our boat did much better than I expected. This was the first time we surfed up here. I was worried it wouldn’t push the ballast at 6800 feet but it didn’t have an issue. Top end is slower, our AR240 will only do about 36 up here but that doesn’t matter to us.

Tlcaffall

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Argggg. My 190 was struggling Powell. Not sure it would plane out at Mary. I did do a ribbon delete a snorkel delete and a L13 cone. I'll have to try it.

AZMark

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Dang, I just spent 5 days up there last week and didn’t know I could’ve brought my boat.

Rumbo

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
The one by Flag? I didn’t even know you could take a boat like that on there.
Dang, I just spent 5 days up there last week and didn’t know I could’ve brought my boat.
Yep...right outside of Flag. We live 15 minutes away and this is only the second time we've had our boat out there in 2 years. We have a blast when we go but just always forget about it. It's a small lake but usually fairly smooth water which is fun for watersports. Well, it's smooth until we go out and start surfing lol. It's great this time of year, water was 76 degrees Sunday.

Rumbo

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Argggg. My 190 was struggling Powell. Not sure it would plane out at Mary. I did do a ribbon delete a snorkel delete and a L13 cone. I'll have to try it.
Struggled at Powell??? Powell is right about 3600' right now, can't imagine that would rob that much power. We were at Powell a week and half ago with 6 adults and 10 kids on ours and we didn't have any issues other than a little sluggish turning. Power wise we got right up on plane. Have you taken your 190 out since the ribbon delete and L13? I've been thinking about doing that to ours but all in all have been happy with the power.

Chris D

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I had no idea either! I will be at Mormon lake in 3 weeks.

Yep...right outside of Flag. We live 15 minutes away and this is only the second time we've had our boat out there in 2 years. We have a blast when we go but just always forget about it. It's a small lake but usually fairly smooth water which is fun for watersports. Well, it's smooth until we go out and start surfing lol. It's great this time of year, water was 76 degrees Sunday.

Tlcaffall

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I have taken it out, but only to local lakes about 1500ft elevation. It seems to have more mid range power but I havent tested it at higher elevations yet.

ourlee

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Cobalt
Year
Boat Model
Jet Ski
Boat Length
Good question...I’m trying to think of what I told my kids when we started...
If they wakeboard it's basically the same except feet aren’t in bindings.

1. Put their heals at the edge of the pad.
2. Push down slightly when the boat launches to help flip the board to their feet
3. Make sure they keep the board perpendicular to the bot as long as they can.
4. I tell my kids to keep the majority of their weight on their back foot until they are up
5. Keep knees bent until they are up.
6. Stay outside the wake until surf speed is reached
7. Make sure they’re having fun. When my kids start getting frustrated it meant it was time for them to take a break.
8. Once surfing make sure they know that weight on the front foot makes them go, weight on their back foot slows them.

Be patient. I watched for reasons they couldn’t get up and tried to explain those reasons to my kids. So much is in the driver too. Tailoring the launch speed to their size and strength, positioning them to where they feel comfortable taking off, etc.
Super strong dadsmanship shown here, I taught my sons 1&2 how to snowboard when they were about 5. I KNOW my Dad power was weaker than yours lol. But now they’re doing flips and shredding glades so it all works out.

Scottintexas

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Looks great! What’s a good technique to teach younger kids (8-10) how to launch and stand up on the board?
I agree with Rumbo's suggestions above,
also, try to have them familiar with "being pulled" by the boat, I like to start them on a knee board because it's so simple and gravity center is lower and less falling sideways, once they get the feel for being pulled and understand weight shifting and are more comfortable I'd move them into the wake or surfboard,

The surfboard is really easy, easier than it looks, I was really surprised,

1ST SURF 010.jpg

AZMark

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Hey @Rumbo is there enough water in Lake Mary to take the boat out this summer? We’re looking at going up on a weekday in a couple weeks and wondering if it’s worth it to bring the boat?