• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Water entering bilge area Tango 175 XR2

kaylix

Reaction score
Boat Make
Sugar Sand
Year
Boat Model
Tango Xtreme
Boat Length
I noticed water entering the bilge area on the starboard side of the engine. At first I thought it was a crack in the hull. With the engine off, digging around I found tube 38 & Filter 40 was outputting the water. As I raised the tube above the height of the engine the flow stopped. As soon as I lowered it water flowed again.
From the attached graphic it looks like the other end of the tube connects to the bottom of the manifold.
Where am I supposed to put the end of the tube with the #40 metal siphon hose filter?? What is the purpose?

Attachments

Bilmon

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Sugar Sand
Year
Boat Model
Mirage
Boat Length
That is your bilge siphon, it uses suction from the pump to draw water out of the bilge whenever the boat is running. The end with the filter should lay in the bilge. What your problem is is the siphon break is plugged allowing the siphon to reverse flo and draw water into the boat when you stop the motor. See part #37,it is the siphon break. It has a small, and I mean small vent hole in it to allow air to break the siphon, if that clogs you get exactly what your seeing.

kaylix

Reaction score
Boat Make
Sugar Sand
Year
Boat Model
Tango Xtreme
Boat Length
That is your bilge siphon, it uses suction from the pump to draw water out of the bilge whenever the boat is running. The end with the filter should lay in the bilge. What your problem is is the siphon break is plugged allowing the siphon to reverse flo and draw water into the boat when you stop the motor. See part #37,it is the siphon break. It has a small, and I mean small vent hole in it to allow air to break the siphon, if that clogs you get exactly what your seeing.
Thanks for the quick reply! I will definitely check this out.

kaylix

Reaction score
Boat Make
Sugar Sand
Year
Boat Model
Tango Xtreme
Boat Length
What is the purpose of this siphon? Does it suck bilge water into the engine?? It seems like a bad idea.

Bilmon

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Sugar Sand
Year
Boat Model
Mirage
Boat Length
It exits though the pump near the rear, doesn't enter the engine. purpose is to help keep the bilge dry. You could plug it off if you wanted, doesn't hurt anything either way.

Stomp10

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Sugar Sand
Year
Boat Model
Tango
Boat Length
Cheap fixes are always the best!

WILL IHNE

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Sugar Sand
Year
Boat Model
Tango
Boat Length
Bill this just started to happen to me.. going to block it off.

Stomp10

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Sugar Sand
Year
Boat Model
Tango
Boat Length
Bill this just started to happen to me.. going to block it off.
Will, if you can find the vent break fitting, you can get a piece of fine steel wire and pass it through the hole a few times to clear it out.
If you have a wire brush laying around, one bristle wire ought to do it.
the fitting should be near the top of your engine on the siphon line
The siphon can clear out an amazing amount of water in just a short time.

WILL IHNE

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Sugar Sand
Year
Boat Model
Tango
Boat Length
I will look at that later on today. I think that is number 37 in the parts diagram above?

Stomp10

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Sugar Sand
Year
Boat Model
Tango
Boat Length
Last edited:

WILL IHNE

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Sugar Sand
Year
Boat Model
Tango
Boat Length
Busy day, I ordered a new one before actually getting the chance to look... 🤦‍♂️ that has no blockage at all.

Stomp10

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Sugar Sand
Year
Boat Model
Tango
Boat Length
Busy day, I ordered a new one before actually getting the chance to look... 🤦‍♂️ that has no blockage at all.
So, is it leaking into the bilge from the hose attachment fitting?

WILL IHNE

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Sugar Sand
Year
Boat Model
Tango
Boat Length
I have a plug on that hose attachment and as far as I know of no leaks from there. I see it coming from the siphon hose exactly where the filter is.