• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

water in bilge?

mdwarchichoke

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I have not read thru all the items that came up when I did a search yet, but i got the boat out today and got another 2 hours of time in on the new motor. 1st time out I had about 3 hours on it and virtually no water came out when the plug was removed, but this time it went for a good 15- 20 seconds. Looked at the engine bay and it was dry. It started raining right after we got off the lake, so I will put it in the water tomorrow and look again.

I wonder why it took on so much water this time? nothing looked like it was leaking around the coolant lines.

Probably check and make sure the bilge pump works too!

Bruce

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Water in the bilge can come from lots of places. The bilge pump should be on anytime the boat is in the water. We turn both of ours on as we back down the ramp.

One of the easiest ways to figure out where the leak is is to use a water hose to fill the bilge and look to see where the water comes out. This works best if you can park on a downhill slope with the stern downhill so that the stern areas fills before the engine compartment.

mdwarchichoke

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I agree. The police were arresting someone at the dock for drinking or something and i just forgot to hit the switch. I was going to start at the clean out plugs as a chopped the throttles off a few times. I did not do anything like that last times as rpms stayed below 6k for the entire trip with the new motor break in.

Bruce

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
When we stop rapidly water washes over the swim deck. That water should go out through drains but if the clean out plug tray is not correctly sealed it can get into the bilge.

Also when people are on the swim deck through hull fittings on the underside of the swim deck are pushed into the water. Some have even had leaks at the seam under the rub rail.

The scupper valve can be a source of dangerous levels of water intake. If you have not changed it you should https://jetboaters.net/threads/replacing-yamaha-sx230-scupper-valve.1325/

It sounds like you did not have much water in the bilge. When I bought my 230 I believe she had a number of leaks. The next spring I did a lot of work in the bilge replacing the scupper, drain plug and transducer. I have been fortunate not to have much water in the bilge since. Now if I find water in the bilge I know I did not tighten the drain plug enough.

mdwarchichoke

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
The drain fitting on the clean out plug tray is loose. So any water that swamps into the tray will drain into the bilge along with what flows down the drain itself.

Also looks like the scupper plug is cracked. See pics below. Filled it up with water and it drips from the crack at a pretty good rate.

20170122_114542.jpg 20170122_114549.jpg

Bruce

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
The drain fitting on the clean out plug tray is loose. So any water that swamps into the tray will drain into the bilge along with what flows down the drain itself.

Also looks like the scupper plug is cracked. See pics below. Filled it up with water and it drips from the crack at a pretty good rate.

View attachment 50216 View attachment 50217
If the scupper breaks the inflow will overwhelm the bilge pump. You need to change that ASAP!

Scottintexas

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Check the faq for great instructions on how to replace it

mdwarchichoke

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
So with the 1 7/8" flange diameter scuppers, I will still need to grind it no matter what? I have seen it being discussed, but i did not see the size of the first SS scuppers everyone was using. I have looked both at the Attwood 66553 and the one listed on boat replacement website they are identical except for the pricing. (I have an 09 SX 230 and it is recessed, but i already put the boat up for the weekend before I thought about measuring the flange diameter of the original)

Thanks David

Bruce

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I had to grind mine. I assume you will as well. It was not a big deal.

mdwarchichoke

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
thanks. I assumed so as well. Just wish I was closer to dad's and I could cut it down on the lathe vs the grinder.

mdwarchichoke

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Scupper ordered. When it all goes back together the drain in the clean out deck tray will need to get tighten up/sealed as well. Also seems like the o rings in the access ports beside the clean out plug are flat. Might as well get some new o rings. I have this feeling there is probably more to find, but this will be a start. I filled up the bilge and watched for about 30 minutes and this is the only spot it was leaking from. Hopefully nothing else is loose letting allowing water to seek its own path. I had all of us on the second outing, drove it a little harder, and the water was rougher than the first time.

Bruce

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
thanks. I assumed so as well. Just wish I was closer to dad's and I could cut it down on the lathe vs the grinder.
The scupper only needs to be ground on one side. You can not see the grind after installing. So fancy tools are not needed.

It sounds like you have a good handle on how to seal up the bilge. Small leaks are a nuisance but a broken scupper is a sinker.

Have you seen the Scupper Wrench thread? https://jetboaters.net/threads/holder-of-the-scupper-wrenches.1333/

mdwarchichoke

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I did indeed. I was going to get the part and a time set up to get it all done first before I asked. It looks to be available. I think i am two weeks out form making it happen on my side.

Hollywood

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
When we stop rapidly water washes over the swim deck. That water should go out through drains but if the clean out plug tray is not correctly sealed it can get into the bilge.

Also when people are on the swim deck through hull fittings on the underside of the swim deck are pushed into the water. Some have even had leaks at the seam under the rub rail.

The scupper valve can be a source of dangerous levels of water intake. If you have not changed it you should https://jetboaters.net/threads/replacing-yamaha-sx230-scupper-valve.1325/

It sounds like you did not have much water in the bilge. When I bought my 230 I believe she had a number of leaks. The next spring I did a lot of work in the bilge replacing the scupper, drain plug and transducer. I have been fortunate not to have much water in the bilge since. Now if I find water in the bilge I know I did not tighten the drain plug enough.
Do you have a link of where to get them for a 2006 yam 230 SX ? Thanks