• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter
  • Announcing the 2024 Jetboat Pilot 10th Annual Marine Mat Group Buy for JetBoaters.net members only! This is your best time to buy Marine Mat from JetboatPilot - you won't get a better price - 30% Off! Use Coupon Code JETBOATERS.NET at checkout.

So if you are tired of stepping on really hot snaps/carpet, or tired of that musty carpet smell - Marine Mat is the best alternative out there! Get in on this now, or pay more later!

You only have until September 30th to get in on this.....So Hurry!

You can dismiss this notice by clicking on the "X" in the upper right corner>>>>>>>>

Water in cylinder head??

Sccala

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Hi All. It’s been a while since I’ve used this forum but I wanted to come to pick some brains. I have a 2011 242 limited. Boat has run great the 3 years we’ve had it. About a month ago though, the starboard engine would flutter every 5-10 seconds, and it will no longer tach over 6000rpm….which is honestly enough, but knowing it won’t go any more doesn’t sit well with me. This happened out of the blue. One day it was running fine. The very next day…it started happening almost right away (we keep our boat in a slip) I thought maybe bad spark plugs, so I changed them. However, two of the old ones had water on them when I removed them. How could water get in the cylinder? And also, how do I get rid of it? Is it a big issue? The boat runs, but it I don’t like knowing that there’s something up with two of the cylinders having an undisclosed quantity of water or condensation in the cylinder head. ?. Any thoughts?

Thanks

Steve

Cracked head, blown head gasket, cracked block, water ingestion,...there a re number of possibilities. If it's not water ingestion...like the boat took on water over the intake, then you have one of the others and it needs to be fixed.

Check for milky oil (water in the oil). Do you run in salt water. Need to get the water out asap!
I do run in saltwater literally every time I use the boat. However… The boat is docked about 5 miles up river and the water is fresh there. So by the time I get the boat to the dock after a day out, any and all water that passes through any part of the boat is not saltwater anymore.

I do run in saltwater literally every time I use the boat. However… The boat is docked about 5 miles up river and the water is fresh there. So by the time I get the boat to the dock after a day out, any and all water that passes through any part of the boat is not saltwater anymore.
That is better, water is still bad. Search for milky oil on here to see what to do, and check as soon as you can.

Cracked head, blown head gasket, cracked block, water ingestion,...there a re number of possibilities. If it's not water ingestion...like the boat took on water over the intake, then you have one of the others and it needs to be fixed.
Geez. None of those things on like any fun. They sound kind of scary actually. However the part that you said about “if it’s not water ingestion”… That could be my case. Last year, my Marina pulled my boat out of The water so I could have a small fiberglass repair done, and after taking it off the lift and setting it on box… They never took the plug out, and we got a bunch of rain storms. With my fiberglass guy go to the boat a few days later… He said there was a ton of water in the engine bay because of the plug not being removed. but that was last year, and everything has run fine since then. He drained the water when he saw it and everything dried out and the boat went back in the water a couple days later after the repair. He said the water was about a third way up the engine block when he discovered it. That was alarming and a bit scary to me when I heard that, but everything has run fine since then. Until a few weeks ago.

Check for milky oil (water in the oil)

Did you have Milky oil ?

What boat do you have your signature says 2011 ? 242 limited E series

Geez. None of those things on like any fun. They sound kind of scary actually. However the part that you said about “if it’s not water ingestion”… That could be my case. Last year, my Marina pulled my boat out of The water so I could have a small fiberglass repair done, and after taking it off the lift and setting it on box… They never took the plug out, and we got a bunch of rain storms. With my fiberglass guy go to the boat a few days later… He said there was a ton of water in the engine bay because of the plug not being removed. but that was last year, and everything has run fine since then. He drained the water when he saw it and everything dried out and the boat went back in the water a couple days later after the repair. He said the water was about a third way up the engine block when he discovered it. That was alarming and a bit scary to me when I heard that, but everything has run fine since then. Until a few weeks ago.

Water ingestion happens in a few ways. Water gets in the engine compartment up past intake (this is a lot of water), towing the boat at high speed thereby forcing water back through the cooling system, or flushing the engine and starting/ leaving the water source on with the engine off.

Water ingestion happens in a few ways. Water gets in the engine compartment up past intake (this is a lot of water), towing the boat at high speed thereby forcing water back through the cooling system, or flushing the engine and starting/ leaving the water source on with the engine off.
Neither of these two ways can be the case with me. I do not tow the boat… Either buy sea or trailer because I keep it in a slip when not in use. Also, I do not flush the engines because I keep it in freshwater and there’s no need for it according to The Yamaha OEM technicians at the dealership. I do use it in saltwater, but my dock is a few miles up river from the bay that we usually ride around in and by the time we get up river to the dock… It is not saltwater anymore so all the fresh water in the river flushes the engines out itself. So it continues to be a mystery as to how water got in two out of the four Starboard cylinder heads. I may just have to suck it up and take it to the dealership to have a pro look it over.

Did you have Milky oil ?

What boat do you have your signature says 2011 ? 242 limited E series
I haven’t checked to see if the oil is milky. I also wouldn’t really know how to do that. Lol. I mean… I know where the oil goes into the engine… And I know how to check the oil level… But I don’t know how to extract a sample of it. What does milky oil even mean anyway?

I haven’t checked to see if the oil is milky. I also wouldn’t really know how to do that. Lol. I mean… I know where the oil goes into the engine… And I know how to check the oil level… But I don’t know how to extract a sample of it. What does milky oil even mean anyway?
To check milky oil, simply pull your dip stick and note the colour of the oil. It should be transparent, and almost clear. Light brown in colour.

if your dip stick looks anything like the picture below (like coffee with milk or cream in it) you have water in your oil.

pull your dip stick and post a picture to this thread.
367D3767-4A02-4B47-8563-7093E4D660B5.jpeg

Neither of these two ways can be the case with me. I do not tow the boat… Either buy sea or trailer because I keep it in a slip when not in use. Also, I do not flush the engines because I keep it in freshwater and there’s no need for it according to The Yamaha OEM technicians at the dealership. I do use it in saltwater, but my dock is a few miles up river from the bay that we usually ride around in and by the time we get up river to the dock… It is not saltwater anymore so all the fresh water in the river flushes the engines out itself. So it continues to be a mystery as to how water got in two out of the four Starboard cylinder heads. I may just have to suck it up and take it to the dealership to have a pro look it over.
Given this discussion, I would agree to take it to dealership.

Agreed with all who said next step is to check oil. Post a pic of your dip stick with oil on it (don't wipe it off). My guess is either head gasket or cracked block.

Agreed with all who said next step is to check oil. Post a pic of your dip stick with oil on it (don't wipe it off). My guess is either head gasket or cracked block.
Ugh. I’m sick to my stomach. I’m taking it to the dealer but they can’t see it for another two weeks.

Yep, Sounds like a better job for the Pro's. They'll get your boat straight. Good luck

We are giving you recommendations pull your dip stick and take a picture or describe if its black or very light tan. If you have a turkey bastor stick it in and suck out some oil put it in a cup. Also check the air filter if water gets in the oil it raises the level and it blows out the vent onto the filter , it could have been condensation on the plug and your getting yourself in a panic.

I feel like I'm at the rage against the machine concert F#&% you I wont do what you tell me. Yes they sold out Madison sq garden for 5 nights then cancelled the tour due to an injury

Back