• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

water in engine compartment...

ToddW850

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Yep, even with my cover on, if it rains heavy, I get water in the same location. It's coming in through the cover and around the seals on my engine compartment hatch. I have plans to eventually replace the engine hatch seals.

Wayloncle

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
When we got our boat, brand new, from the factory, it leaked like a sieve...... I agree that the water getting to the lake was most probably caused by accumulated rain, but assuming that was all drained out, the new water had to come from somewhere. Dos cuestiones distintas are probably at work here!

Our boat took on approx 5 gallons or so of water even when we were just cruising and not doing watersports! Dealer said "Oh, that's normal" of course.....no freakin help there....phfffftttt!!

A friend who is an F-16 crew chief and A&P I taught to fly and I "blueprinted" the pump sections and thoroughly sealed all the thru-hulls on the boat..... checked all the bearings for "seep-by" , and drank a lot of beer. I think I also included him in my will.

At this point, Magic goes for 2-5 day trips on the water, and when we pull the brass drain plug at the end of the trip, she is totally dry if its just the boy and I, or about a gallon or two if we do the water-sport thing.....

I really don't think they seal up these boats at the factory as well as they should......

That being said, @maboat has the right tack in filling the boat from the inside on the trailer to find leaks that water makes ingress into the boat while she is deep in the water. I'm willing to bet you are gonna find a leak this way, like we did, 9 years ago...and we have not had a leak since then.......
So your friend kicked the tires and cleaned the windshield? Bwaahaa...I'm an AGE guy (he will know what that is) little bit of rivalry between our career fields..

scott1001001

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
First day out, we picked up the boat from the dealer and the manager told us to keep the plug in the center storage hatch. I watched him fumble with it for a few minutes and then he closed the hatch. Another employee took us to the local salt water river to verify the boat was working ok and to sign off on delivery. We ran the boat home and dropped it into a fresh water river to flush everything out. While we were in an idle zone, I just happen to lift the center hatch and the plug was not in and water was filling in. I had already had the bilge on. I had to have my wife bring the boat up to speed to get all of the water out of the hatch while in put the plug back in. (That plug was a pain the ass). Bilge still on the entire trip.

When we got back to the ramp, I pulled both plugs and man, it seemed like 10 gallons of water poured out. Our Yamaha skis run dry so I was kind of surprised.

What was weird was that when I was at 25mph and dropped to idle quickly, the boat would steer to one side or the other drastically. I think there was so much water in the hull or bilge area that slowing down quickly caused all of this water to rush forward. The steering on the AR190 is not very responsive compared to the Yamaha FXHO WaveRunner....or maybe there was too much water aboard.

We were just cruising the river, no towing. How much water drains from your boat after a trip?

ToddW850

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
First day out, we picked up the boat from the dealer and the manager told us to keep the plug in the center storage hatch. I watched him fumble with it for a few minutes and then he closed the hatch. Another employee took us to the local salt water river to verify the boat was working ok and to sign off on delivery. We ran the boat home and dropped it into a fresh water river to flush everything out. While we were in an idle zone, I just happen to lift the center hatch and the plug was not in and water was filling in. I had already had the bilge on. I had to have my wife bring the boat up to speed to get all of the water out of the hatch while in put the plug back in. (That plug was a pain the ass). Bilge still on the entire trip.

When we got back to the ramp, I pulled both plugs and man, it seemed like 10 gallons of water poured out. Our Yamaha skis run dry so I was kind of surprised.

What was weird was that when I was at 25mph and dropped to idle quickly, the boat would steer to one side or the other drastically. I think there was so much water in the hull or bilge area that slowing down quickly caused all of this water to rush forward. The steering on the AR190 is not very responsive compared to the Yamaha FXHO WaveRunner....or maybe there was too much water aboard.

We were just cruising the river, no towing. How much water drains from your boat after a trip?

I've had days where no water at all came out when I pulled the plug at the end of the day. But if we are tubing and stopping and going a lot, then I'll have some water then.

Noko

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I've had very little water come out of the stern drain plug. Little bit last year and none this year but our season was short this year.

DBamaC

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR192
Boat Length

I get almost none. I don't even remember my bilge pump running and the last time we were on the lake for three days we had heavy rain several times while the boat was uncovered. I keep all my plugs in at all times that the boat is in the water.

I think you may have a problem.

jlcj7

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Since this post came back from the dead, i will update... It was rain water combined with an old cover that wasnt water-proof. I get zero water inside the boat on the water. I am currently using my shipping cover and get no rain water inside the boat. I have a new cover on my list of things i need to buy...

Gym

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Since this post came back from the dead, i will update... It was rain water combined with an old cover that wasnt water-proof. I get zero water inside the boat on the water. I am currently using my shipping cover and get no rain water inside the boat. I have a new cover on my list of things i need to buy...
I got one of these. http://www.boatcoversdirect.com/products/boat_covers/_488/SX_230_17919/ The first one I got Had a 3 year warranty and failed near the end of its 3rd year. I guess washing it with 1 part bleach and 2 parts water twice over 2 years didn't do a lot for its longevity. I called Carver Industries customer service to see if they would do anything. They sold me their 7 oz, 5 yr. warranty SunDura cover ($576 for $340) which my boat is wearing now. If I don't get a full 5 years from this one I hope to get another discounted cover from them. Their customer service is not as good as Will @JetBoatPilot but I'm happy with it.

Englewoodcowboy

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Do not forget you have two shaft logs that can and do leak. The leaking water is actually what lubricates them though it should be minimal when sitting still but whenever the motor is running and the shafts are turning they will leak, that is just the nature of the beast. The only boat I ever had that would stay completely dry in the bilge was an outboard boat. I know after each outing I drain maybe a gallon of water from my bilge, more if it is a busy day, lots of water on the deck or if it is a rainy weekend other than that, I really would not worry too much about it.

scott1001001

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I finally was able to get the boat out again last week, thinking maybe the heavy water was rain that never drained out as my cover was back ordered for a few days. Now covered, the back plugs out, I took the boat to the river, put the plugs in and went for a ride. About 30 minutes, bilge pump on, no water coming out, I slowed the boat to not send a wake into a SeaTow boat towing someone.

I picked up the speed and a few minutes later slowed down at a no wake zone and the bow dipped dramatically into the water. I knew then water was filling the under deck area of the boat. So, with less than 90 minutes on the water, the boat is in the shop.

I am kinda of pissed at myself for not catching this upon delivery. I was careless enough to sign a delivery inspection report that all was in working order, when it really was not.

heloskick

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
LX
Boat Length
It's a good idea to look in the engine compartment when your running periodically, until you know your boat well. If you see water, see if it is hot or cold. If it is hot, you have a cooling water leak coming from exhaust. Small leaks can be hard to track down but it is 100% doable. But you will have to troubleshoot and watch it closely. Probably not a good idea to leave it in the water knowing it is leaking either. You can use it, just don't leave it unattended overnight or anything like that.
Any idea where the water might be coming from if it is a cooling water leak?

Gym

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Any idea where the water might be coming from if it is a cooling water leak?
If you're sure it's a cooling leak (warm water) you'll need to get in the engine compartment with a flashlight while running the engines in the water or better on the hose (one engine at a time). If you see nothing there you'll need to pull the cleanout tray to check the plumbing down there. It could be something as simple as a broken hose clamp. When the cleanout tray is pulled you'll need to be able to keep the safety button depressed so the engine will start and continue to run during your inspection, especially if you do this on the hose.

heloskick

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
LX
Boat Length
Thanks for the info. I have had the clean out tray out several times so I am very familiar with that process and Ill look at all the clamps and lines. I have been chasing this leak for a while now and the boat seems to be smokier so I was thinking that might be the cause. The bilge will kick on after about 10 min running on the water and pumps out a good amount of water.

Gym

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Thanks for the info. I have had the clean out tray out several times so I am very familiar with that process and Ill look at all the clamps and lines. I have been chasing this leak for a while now and the boat seems to be smokier so I was thinking that might be the cause. The bilge will kick on after about 10 min running on the water and pumps out a good amount of water.
If this is engine cooling water it's water the engine is not getting. It may be noticeable by looking at the pissers. The one with the weakest stream, at cruise speed, should indicate the engine that's leaking. Then you can concentrate on locating the leak on that engine.