• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

water in engine compartment...

jlcj7

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I had my boat on a trailer and took it to the lake today to put it in the water. Today, I noticed about 4 inches of water in the engine compartment as i was getting ready to put it in the water. I had those 3 interior plugs in (in engine area) and assumed it was rain leaking through the cover since the boat obviously was nowhere near water. I turned on the bilge, opened all plugs (including rear plug) and let all water drain out. I then dried everything up with paper towels.

So today i left the boat in the water all day, and when i came back there was again, another couple inches of water in the engine compartment. The rear main drain plug is in.

Where can this water be coming from? Is it possible there was more rain water in the boat that "worked" its way back there, or could this water be leaking into the boat?

Thanks for any help

Bruce

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Water from the bilge can make its way up into the engine compartment. Perhaps there was more water in the front of the boat that did not drain. Do you have the bilge pump on?

txav8r

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
It's a good idea to look in the engine compartment when your running periodically, until you know your boat well. If you see water, see if it is hot or cold. If it is hot, you have a cooling water leak coming from exhaust. Small leaks can be hard to track down but it is 100% doable. But you will have to troubleshoot and watch it closely. Probably not a good idea to leave it in the water knowing it is leaking either. You can use it, just don't leave it unattended overnight or anything like that.

ToddW850

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
I was going to suggest what Mel said. If the water is warm, then you have a cooling leak. Dry out the compartment again, then drive it slow (or have a friend drive it) while you look in the compartment and see if you can see where the water is coming from. Should be fairly easy to catch, even if it's dripping.

Now, from your original post, it sounds as if you found the water in the engine compartment BEFORE you put it in the water. Is that right? If that's the case, then I doubt it's a cooling exhaust leak unless you didn't pull the plugs from the last trip.

Also, I always leave the compartment plugs out while storing. That way rain water and such will find it's way out, instead of pooling up.

Boat Crazy

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
It is probable that you had rain water in the boat. It is also possible that you have both.....rain water the first time and a small leak the second time. Have you checked or replaced your scupper?

maboat

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Put the boat on a trailer and plug the drain in the rear transom with all other interior plugs open. Start filling up the bilge with hose water and watch for leaks on the outside of the boat.

Bruce

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Guys, this boat had water in it before he got to the lake. My guess us that it collected a lot of rain water while in storage.

txav8r

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
He said it had 4 inches of water in the engine compartment BOTH before and after being in the water, and emptied it between. So he has more going on that just rain water. But, it could be it had water after the trip before he went to the lake this time...and yes, it could have had water somewhere else in the boat, and drained back while running, but if your bilge pump was on, it wouldn't have 4 inches in the engine compartment. Need to investigate.

Murf'n'surf

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Next time to the ramp, back your boat on a steep slope and open all interior and exterior plugs to allow all water out. Put all plugs in and go boating. Periodically check your bilges while running for warm water. After pulling the boat out check for water while on the steep slope. This should help determine if it's rain water, cooling leak or some other under waterline leak.

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length

Lawson2479

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
It might not matter but do you take your clean out plugs in and out after every trip. If not maybe a plug is wedged and not sitting properly allowing water pressure to expand the tube and water getting into the boat but still down enough to let the jet function.

maboat

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Guys, this boat had water in it before he got to the lake. My guess us that it collected a lot of rain water while in storage.
Hmmm....
So today i left the boat in the water all day, and when i came back there was again, another couple inches of water in the engine compartment. The rear main drain plug is in.

Magic

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
When we got our boat, brand new, from the factory, it leaked like a sieve...... I agree that the water getting to the lake was most probably caused by accumulated rain, but assuming that was all drained out, the new water had to come from somewhere. Dos cuestiones distintas are probably at work here!

Our boat took on approx 5 gallons or so of water even when we were just cruising and not doing watersports! Dealer said "Oh, that's normal" of course.....no freakin help there....phfffftttt!!

A friend who is an F-16 crew chief and A&P I taught to fly and I "blueprinted" the pump sections and thoroughly sealed all the thru-hulls on the boat..... checked all the bearings for "seep-by" , and drank a lot of beer. I think I also included him in my will.

At this point, Magic goes for 2-5 day trips on the water, and when we pull the brass drain plug at the end of the trip, she is totally dry if its just the boy and I, or about a gallon or two if we do the water-sport thing.....

I really don't think they seal up these boats at the factory as well as they should......

That being said, @maboat has the right tack in filling the boat from the inside on the trailer to find leaks that water makes ingress into the boat while she is deep in the water. I'm willing to bet you are gonna find a leak this way, like we did, 9 years ago...and we have not had a leak since then.......

txav8r

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
Well, your going to have to fill the boat up to the gunwales to find "all" the leaks...because a few guys have reported leaking anchor lockers and rub rails! But you can sure isolate transom leaks by filling up the transom bilge with water. 99.9% of my leaks were on the speedo and sounder cables that penetrated my hull, and had a handful of silicone piled on top of the penetration, bilge side...and still leaked. Removing all that silicone and resealing it a second time stopped the leaking for me. It was funny too, it didn't leak with the boat in the water and no one on the swim deck. But you walk or sit on the swim deck with more than one person, and the vertical hull penetration of the sounder cable would take on water. That took multiple times to find. And filling the hull didn't help me get water that high, because I was always worried when water got to my engines! We found it because we would here the bilge pump cycle every 10 minutes when we were lounging on the swim deck...wife, Chester, and me. I looked and looked. But never could identify it, until I opened the clean out inspection port in the clean out tray, put a battery lantern in there, and had taken a mechanics mirror on a telescoping rod with me...and there it was! I could see it oozing in with all of us back there. It was even more of a steady stream than a drip. It was tough though...because if your looking for something in my household...Chester thinks he needs to be looking too!

Zarrella

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited
Boat Length
Pull it out drain it and start with adding water back into the engine compartment. This would be the easiest, quickest starting point.

jlcj7

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Thanks for all the suggestions and feedback. Just a bit more info... Yes, the boat has been on my trailer since December and out of the water. The rear main drain plug was out, as well as the clean out plugs, but all interior plugs were in. The reason it caught me off guard is i have never had a drop of water in my engine compartment (either on the trailer or in the water). My boat is now on a lift out of the water (see pic). Also, this is a pic i snapped after the boat was on the lift where i noticed more water in the boat.

I cant reach the main drain plug on the lift without getting into the water, so i definitely am not taking that out to see how much water comes out for another few weeks. engine compart.jpeglift boat.jpg

Attachments

Gym

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I'm wondering if your cover needs to be rewaterproofed. A little time with the hose should give you some answers as @maboat suggested.

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
I agree with almost all the ascertions above. Your cover likely needs waterproofing, or you've had some serious rain lately. AND you likely have a through hull fitting leak somewhere (could be an exhaust leak too-but my bet is hull fitting leak). My boat has always been dry.

cozilla

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Moomba
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Yea I live and boat in the same area as @jlcj7 and we had over 3 inches of rain last weekend so I wouldn't be surprised if there was water in your boat from sitting on the trailer. Ill be checking mine tomorrow when we got out on Lake Wylie as well.