• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Water in my engine!

Gsidauy

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Hi Guys,
Owning my boat for over 5 years I made a rocky mistake... When I was flushing the engine I accidentally left the hose connected with water running through my engine for over 15 minutes and I did not start the engine during all that time. Now I cannot turn it on... How do I drain the water?

Thanks for your help

Beachbummer

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Take the spark plugs off, and crank it with no lanyard connected. If you are lucky and broke nothing, after you do this until no water comes out, then reinstall plugs, it will start.

If it starts, then run it like you stole it for an hour or so, to evaporate all the water from where is not supposed to be.

Best of luck. Do not delay.

Seadeals

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Yep, as long as you didn’t try to start it with water inside, pulling the plugs and turning it over with the lanyard out (no spark) will have the pistons pumping the water out of the cylinders. I might shoot some fogging oil into each cylinder while they are open too. The best medicine will be running it at higher rpms for extended time to evaporate it all out; but only if you can get it on the water (not on the hose). “I screwed up, Honey...mandatory lake day tomorrow!” I might have used that before 🤫

justason

Jetboaters Admiral
SWAG Forum Lead
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Same thing here. Took me a few tries to get it dry enough to kick so i put my shop vac over the spark plug holes while crankin to help evac as much moisture as possible. Then ran it like I stole it as beachbummer says

Gym

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I would only run the engine for a minute or so. Then shut down and check the oil for water. If it's milky, change the oil. Repeat this process until the oil appears clean.

Brad_Ct

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I agree with Jim, bought a non running boat last year and just got one engine running. Oil looked fine until after I got it running then it was milky from water in the oil. Took 14 quarts of oil and 3 filters to clear the water out.