• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter
  • Announcing the 2024 Jetboat Pilot 10th Annual Marine Mat Group Buy for JetBoaters.net members only! This is your best time to buy Marine Mat from JetboatPilot - you won't get a better price - 30% Off! Use Coupon Code JETBOATERS.NET at checkout.

So if you are tired of stepping on really hot snaps/carpet, or tired of that musty carpet smell - Marine Mat is the best alternative out there! Get in on this now, or pay more later!

You only have until September 30th to get in on this.....So Hurry!

You can dismiss this notice by clicking on the "X" in the upper right corner>>>>>>>>

water spots

Ronald

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Anyone ever use a vinegar water mix to treat water spots? A few guys at my dock use it. Their mechanics told them to use it. Anyone have experience with this. Tx
Ron

After I removed my graphics from the hull if buffed it and waxed and it looked like glass. To fight water spots I use BoatBling Hot Sauce after an outing. If I don't have time to do the Hot Sauce which doesn't take long, I will wipe the hull down with a towel. I am on a lift though, but would do the same thing once the boat was on the trailer when we pulled the boat out at the ramp.

Another Hot sauce user here!! That stuff is amazing!

If you have water spots already on and they are "embedded", a detailer won't help...that would be more for prevention. Ducky Water spot remover works well as does dishwasher rinse agent like Jet Dry.

Anyone ever use a vinegar water mix to treat water spots? A few guys at my dock use it. Their mechanics told them to use it. Anyone have experience with this. Tx
Ron

Use it all the time. It's cheap. So am I.

Typically, water spots are caused by minerals in the water. This water is considered a base (as opposed to an acid) Vinegar is basically mild acetic acid and will counteract the hard water.
Where I boat it's so damn hot that the boat is dry by the time you reach the top of the ramp so we rarely wipe down immediately - it's a waste of time.

We tow back to the hotel and if I can find a spot in the shade I'll douche the whole boat with vinegar and water, give it a good scrub - don't let it dry and then soak a hand towel in water with a little baking soda added to neutralize the acidic vinegar to do a quick wipe. Later on I'll come back with a detailer after things have cooled down to at least 90 :eek:

Sounds like a lot of work...it is, but black hulls are a biotch to keep looking great. Right now I'd say my hull, on a scale of 1 to 10, is a WTF - time to polish that sucker! Then wax...a buddy turned me on to something I've been using lately that seems to hold up much better than the Meguiar's I've used for a long while:
http://www.amazon.com/15oz-Finish-Kare-1000P-Hi-Temp/dp/B002NZL6M6

If you boat often you should inspect the gel coat for signs of etching and polish and wax as needed. I've found that the water can vary between outings. Some days it seems that the water is yuckier (technical term) than others.

:cool:

I do both.

I have been told (and it does make some sense) that the vinegar and water strips the wax on the boat. Hot Sauce is much more expensive, but does not strip the wax (and/or replaces it with its own wax). So I use vinegar and water more toward the end of the season right before I wax it and the Hot Sauce more at the beginning of the season.

I use vinegar and water. Just make sure you're standing upwind when you spray ;)

Hot Sauce as well...it smells like vinegar and works great. In Oklahoma with a black boat I am constantly battling water spots. Even baked on spots wipe right off. Hot Sauce is amazing (expensive) stuff!

Back