• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

JB Weld To Fix Wear Ring?

Guitarjesus

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Anyone ever do this to fill in divots or spots where something like a rock got in it?

Read about it somewhere I'm almost positive. I did it once but didn't like how it turned out.

drewkaree

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
@Cobra Jet Steering LLC mentioned something about the older metal wear rings actually being the poorer solution, and the newer version (nylon?) were better for this application, since the rings wouldn't damage the metal sleeve, or swell like the old metal version would, causing contact with the impeller.

I don't recall seeing it done, but with the issues it seems you've been having with this pump, I dunno if you want to be a test case for the JB Weld.

biffdotorg

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
This was a common fix on the Mercury Powered SeaDoo's as the wear ring was stainless steel, very hard to get, and super expensive if you could get one. You could check out the posts on that forum under the Mercury SportJet category.

Mercury Powered SeaDoo Sport Boats | Sea-Doo Forum (seadooforum.com)

How well is That M2 wear ring Jbweld Holding up??? Wear Ring suggestions | Sea-Doo Forum (seadooforum.com)

That's an old thread from 2012 and the pics are gone, but they had good luck.

They would put that stuff on, and then sand it out till smooth. Some would even paint it. I can't imagine there being that much gap to allow it, but I would think paint would go away quickly.

It was a common way to eliminate cavitation from scars in the wear ring though.

Guitarjesus

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
This was a common fix on the Mercury Powered SeaDoo's as the wear ring was stainless steel, very hard to get, and super expensive if you could get one. You could check out the posts on that forum under the Mercury SportJet category.

Mercury Powered SeaDoo Sport Boats | Sea-Doo Forum (seadooforum.com)

How well is That M2 wear ring Jbweld Holding up??? Wear Ring suggestions | Sea-Doo Forum (seadooforum.com)

That's an old thread from 2012 and the pics are gone, but they had good luck.

They would put that stuff on, and then sand it out till smooth. Some would even paint it. I can't imagine there being that much gap to allow it, but I would think paint would go away quickly.

It was a common way to eliminate cavitation from scars in the wear ring though.
That's the parts I remember reading about. The guy used a razor blade to get the JB in the grooves and smoothed out, and self leveling appliance spray paint as a coating. Said it was still working seasons later. Maybe it was facebook I saw it on. Can't find it again though.

biffdotorg

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Popsickle sticks were a tool of choice as well. Since they could smooth out almost the depth of the wear ring.

It's pretty ghetto, but if I remember right, that wear ring on my 240efi SportJet was like $450!

Guitarjesus

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Popsickle sticks were a tool of choice as well. Since they could smooth out almost the depth of the wear ring.

It's pretty ghetto, but if I remember right, that wear ring on my 240efi SportJet was like $450!
That's not ghetto. JB Weld is the stuff. It can prolong the life of many engineered things.

NeoBrew

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
Anyone ever do this to fill in divots or spots where something like a rock got in it?

Read about it somewhere I'm almost positive. I did it once but didn't like how it turned out.
You might be thinking of my post here: https://jetboaters.net/threads/oops-need-a-new-impeller.42274/#post-662986

That repair was later in the summer last year. I haven't taken the boat out of storage yet this year. We will see how it holds up over the summer. I have a boat-camping trip planned in a few weeks here, so it will get a good test then.

Guitarjesus

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
You might be thinking of my post here: https://jetboaters.net/threads/oops-need-a-new-impeller.42274/#post-662986

That repair was later in the summer last year. I haven't taken the boat out of storage yet this year. We will see how it holds up over the summer. I have a boat-camping trip planned in a few weeks here, so it will get a good test then.
Thanks, but no. It was a few years older at least, with pictures of the work being done and showed the wear ring with black appliance paint on it.

Guitarjesus

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I'm going to do this, this week. I'll take pics and do a write up of sorts. I'm using JB MarineWeld, it's rated for being impervious to salt water. So we'll see how it goes. I got Krylon self leveling appliance spray paint too to finish it off. Any small imperfections from the paint will get stripped away from the impeller, as it will be soft enough to not damage the impeller blades.

Last edited:

Cambo

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
I tried it on my 2005 trying to help occasional cavitation the gap seemed a little larger then what it should have been. It ended up being a waste of time just buy new wear rings they are cheap take a dremmel with a small sanding drum and clean up the edges of the impeller. If your wear ring has dings the impeller most likely has rough edges. I coated the entire wear ring trying for a tighter gap but after about 50 hours it was 90% gone it just wore off. Cleaning up the impeller helped the cavitation. The wear rings with the plastic liner work great. Yamaha must have changed how they make the liners my 2017 had both swell and needed to be replaced after 3 years the 2005 lasted over 13 years and were fine when the boat was sold.

Guitarjesus

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I tried it on my 2005 trying to help occasional cavitation the gap seemed a little larger then what it should have been. It ended up being a waste of time just buy new wear rings they are cheap take a dremmel with a small sanding drum and clean up the edges of the impeller. If your wear ring has dings the impeller most likely has rough edges. I coated the entire wear ring trying for a tighter gap but after about 50 hours it was 90% gone it just wore off. Cleaning up the impeller helped the cavitation. The wear rings with the plastic liner work great. Yamaha must have changed how they make the liners my 2017 had both swell and needed to be replaced after 3 years the 2005 lasted over 13 years and were fine when the boat was sold.
I'd like to stay OEM, but it would appear the wear rings are on backorder.

NeoBrew

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
I don't think my boat has wear rings, does it? From what I can tell I need to replace the whole impeller housing at about $700.

Guitarjesus

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I don't think my boat has wear rings, does it? From what I can tell I need to replace the whole impeller housing at about $700.
It does, but it's a replaceable sleeve. They switched in 2019 I believe for the 19 foot boats.