• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Water testing a 2005 Challenger 180 this week.

jroppelt

Reaction score
Boat Make
SeaDoo
Year
Boat Model
Challenger
Boat Length
I am sea testing a 180 this weekend and was wondering if there are any specific things to look out for when testing this vessel? I will be conducting a compression test bit beyend that jet drives are new to me. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks,
John

ToddW850

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
I believe @Albysure used to have a boat like this. He can probably answer your questions.

veedubtek

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scout
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
The supercharger originally came with a ceramic washer that needs updated to stainless or it can fall apart and destroy the engine. The supercharger should've been rebuilt at 100 hours (or will need it) to replace this washer. Further rebuilds every 200 hours. If you can remove it yourself, $400 ish for the parts and $75 to have the work done. Figure $900 if you gotta pay for the whole job.

On the test drive, full throttle right off the bat to check for cavitation. If it's just you and the owner, very little cavitation should be present. 4 or more and a little is normal. Excessive cavitation indicates a wear ring or impeller issue. I wanna say when I did mine it was right around $400 for a solas impeller and oem wear ring (I did all the work). Even with all new stuff, cavitation is still possible with these, but it should be very minor.

Drive at least 20-30 minutes. Let her get good and hot and just make sure you get no warnings (temp, low volt, etc..).

Bruce

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length

veedubtek

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scout
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Beat ya to the punch, @Bruce !

jroppelt

Reaction score
Boat Make
SeaDoo
Year
Boat Model
Challenger
Boat Length
Thanks for the quick responses guys! Owner says there is around 200 hours on her and just had a $800 service done. I will check and see if that was a supercharger rebuild. Is there an easy way to visually inspect the wear ring and impeller? Also i will be using this in primarily saltwater, any tips or advice for that? This would be my first jet drive boat, I'm kind of excited.

ShesCrafty

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
No easy way to visually inspect the impeller on these boats. For salt water, wash her down and flush her out - as often as you can.

jroppelt

Reaction score
Boat Make
SeaDoo
Year
Boat Model
Challenger
Boat Length
Thanks, one last question. Are these things as tough to steer as ppl say or is it just something different that you need to get used to?

jroppelt

Reaction score
Boat Make
SeaDoo
Year
Boat Model
Challenger
Boat Length
I will post pics tomorrow. By the way it is in immaculate condition with@200 hours, full windshield and recent $800 service. $8500 a good price?

DieselCamel

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
World Cat
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Thanks, one last question. Are these things as tough to steer as ppl say or is it just something different that you need to get used to?
Definitely a learning curve. But 2 or 3 times out and it won't be an issue. That model challenger has two sticks one for throttle and one for forward and reverse. Makes it a lot easier. As far as price @veedubtek just sold his about a month ago pretty sure he will chime in.

jroppelt

Reaction score
Boat Make
SeaDoo
Year
Boat Model
Challenger
Boat Length
Thanks for the quick responses! You guys are awesome. I put the same post in Sea Doo's forum on Monday and...(crickets chirping)

veedubtek

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scout
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Yup! Sold my 07 180SE w/Tower @ 97 hours for $12,500. I'd say that price sounds pretty fair.

You'll get the hang of maneuvering that thing very quick. Learn to use reverse, as it's just awesome on that thing.

jroppelt

Reaction score
Boat Make
SeaDoo
Year
Boat Model
Challenger
Boat Length
Thanks veedub. As for cavitation I know its like spitting air through the jet drive, are there telltale signs?

ShesCrafty

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Just an opinion - for the age of the boat, for ~$8500, I would make sure that supercharger has been rebuilt and I would have someone put their eyes on the impeller/wear ring and related assembly. Inspection of those parts might also tell you how hard she's been ridden in those 200 hours. Good luck!

ShesCrafty

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Steering is nothing but a short learning curve. (A few passes at docking and trailering.) After that, it's tons of fun...!

Albysure

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
SeaDoo
Year
Boat Model
Challenger
Boat Length
Supercharger just like stated uptop you need to look out for and from 05 to some of 07 the valves are hollow and need to be checked and swamped out immediately...you can pull your valve cover off and look for serial numbers stamped on them...if the code starts with 72 there hollow and no good...the welds do not hold and there goes your entire motor...starts with 75 there solid and good...
Go with a solas concord series impeller 14/19 pitch..I did and love the difference..if your having cavitation issues its usally the carbon seal/bellow or clearance on your wear ring...if it's your carbon seal you will see it dripping when the engine is off...gotta be in the water to test...
Good luck

Last edited:

jroppelt

Reaction score
Boat Make
SeaDoo
Year
Boat Model
Challenger
Boat Length
Thanks Albysure! I will look into the valve issue if i purchase. Where is this carbon seal located? And I should look while we are on the water right? How are you liking your Challenger so far? Im excited to try something new. Ive driven outboards but excited to try this out. Will post pics tomorrow if i dont get sidetracked cruising the ICWW. Lol

jroppelt

Reaction score
Boat Make
SeaDoo
Year
Boat Model
Challenger
Boat Length
Just an opinion - for the age of the boat, for ~$8500, I would make sure that supercharger has been rebuilt and I would have someone put their eyes on the impeller/wear ring and related assembly. Inspection of those parts might also tell you how hard she's been ridden in those 200 hours. Good luck!
Does $8500 sound high? Seemed low compared to others I've seen on CL. I am going to offer 7 and work up from there.

ShesCrafty

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
$8500 sounds right to me - if the boat is in excellent condition (including the high cost/high headache items mentioned). Boat values are hard to determine, though... harder to quantify than cars, I think. You just have to be comfortable.

Albysure

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
SeaDoo
Year
Boat Model
Challenger
Boat Length
The carbon seal is located on the back side of the motor if your in the boat looking strait back...it's located on your drive shaft...be careful when your looking there's lots of hot parts near it and do not grab the driveshaft when the boat is running cause it's spinning and will grab a hold of you...like stated uptop get that engine warm cause if there's issues that's when it will occur...the seadoo rotex engines can last for thousands of hours if maintained properly...just be prepared for stupid little issues on the seadoo boats...there electrical system is under sized and connections are garbage..I would pull all fuses and connectors and apply some dielectric grease..but if somebody fixed all these before you should be good to go..
As far as me I love my challenger it rides so nice...the pickup is great on it with the supercharger....it can hang with boats that are twin driven...fuel ratio is pretty good....
They are very fun to drive and you have a lot more freedom then the outboards....
I think and hope you will love it cause the only thing better then a seadoo is a Yamaha....LOL...
Sad but true....I just love the style of the Seadoo's.....got some new pics yesterday thanks to @ToddW850image.jpgimage.jpg